IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

Not sure what you mean by a 'newer version'?

Having said that, I'd like to do two things to it eventually.

- I want to make it play more like my NES port, meaning in two player simultaneous games the first person to leave the level ends it (instead of waiting for the second person).  That solves a lot of issues.

- Work on relaxing the collision detection a bit.  I've seen cases where vertical shots pass through the skeleton on the right.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I'm still holding out in favor of getting my 2600 Jr. Short Rainbow repaired UNLESS somebody can confirm that she'll work with ALL of the Champ Games titles (including the ARM-based ones) and also Ruby*Q.

...or at least work with my Harmony Encore.

You didn't bother reading anything in this thread and are just shitposting at will I assume?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

I'm still holding out in favor of getting my 2600 Jr. Short Rainbow repaired UNLESS somebody can confirm that she'll work with ALL of the Champ Games titles (including the ARM-based ones) and also Ruby*Q.

...or at least work with my Harmony Encore.

Better fix your 2600 Jr.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shawn said:

You didn't bother reading anything in this thread and are just shitposting at will I assume?

... or just stating a fact?

Quite honestly, I do not have much interest in buying a 2600+ either as it is currently.

I have an original 2600, a 7800, several versions of Flashbacks, the Atari game collection on Steam and a Retron 77.

I probably would have been tempted to add a 2600+ to the lot, but that a lot of modern releases will likely be incompatible with it and likewise there is no ability to load them in ROM format is a dealbreaker personally.

I can already play my original cartridges and classic games in more ways and formats then I ever really need as is, adding another one is not a burning priority.

I am sure a lot of people will be interested in the 2600+, but for myself it is not offering anything I don't have a system that will already do and in some cases do better then what is offered by this unit.

That is not being rude, or shitposting; but just a fact.

• Like 3

The case of the 2600+ looks great.  I'm glad that Atari is working on cart compatibility, and apparently trying to release a product that people will want to buy.

On the other hand, shipping it with only one controller seems chintzy.

My first memories of playing the 2600 VCS are of Air Sea Battle, and Combat.  Flashbacks came with 2 controllers, and generally cost less

I understand that there are plenty of 2600+ buyers who will probably never even play a two player game on the system, but the fact that it can't manage that simple feat out of the box, with no preexisting or added hardware just seems wrong in 2023.

• Like 3

On 9/27/2023 at 8:29 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

There is no change to the release date of November 17th.

All launch day stock has been manufactured and is on route to distribution centers in US, Europe and Australia right now.

There is additional stock being manufactured for the US market currently which is landing in early December in time for holidays.

The launch day machines hardware design and software version was locked many months ago. We are now taking the feedback posted here and elsewhere, continuing our internal testing and having discussion with the likely result being a future software update to improve the experience.

@Ben from Plaion

Hello Ben,

many thanks for sharing your test results with us🤙

I hope you get a 7800 cartridge of Commando and Xevious for testing, soon.

I tested some games on the lr-prosystem emulation, which should be based on the 1.3e.

The Pokey sound for Commando was not very good but Ballblazer music was fine🤔

Xevoius did not detect the 2nd button joystick, hopefully this won't be the case on the 2600+

Other games worked with 2nd button, so it is related to Xevious.

Homebrew Popeye gave me graphic errors and was unplayable. I could only test the beta, as I have no equipment to dump my cartridge with the final rom.

So on current release some 7800 games might have issues with Pokey sound, 2nd button and graphics, so an update after shipment would be great.

Many thanks for your test efforts in advance🤙

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, first thing I do on a fail is try it on an original 2600. And it does work fine on the original machine.

@Ben from Plaion Do you have access to the dumped ROM? If yes, can you post it?

Nevermind, I think I identified the problem. The cart is dumped as 8K, with only the 2nd half being dumped. The attached ROM shows the same result.

RealSports Boxing (1987) (Atari).002.bin

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@Ben from Plaion Do you have access to the dumped ROM? If yes, can you post it?

Nevermind, I think I identified the problem. The cart is dumped as 8K, with only the 2nd half being dumped. The attached ROM shows the same result.

RealSports Boxing (1987) (Atari).002.bin 8 kB · 2 downloads

Wow, you're showing some black-belt problem solving skills, @Thomas Jentzsch👊

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The cart is dumped as 8K, with only the 2nd half being dumped.

And the reason for that is because banks 0 and 1 (and 3) of this game only access FFF8 and FFF9 hotspots making the dumper believe it's only an 8K rom. However FFF8 and FFF9 select bank 2 and 3 respectively on a 16K cart. The other games work since they access other hotspots as well (in those banks).

Dumper firmware needs a fix.

Edited by Blinky
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Blinky said:

And the reason for that is because banks 0 and 1 (and 3) of this game only access FFF8 and FFF9 hotspots making the dumper believe it's only an 8K rom. However FFF8 and FFF9 select bank 2 and 3 respectively on a 16K cart. The other games work since they access other hotspots as well (in those banks).

Right. It looks like FFF8 and FFF9 are tested before FFF6 and FFF7. It should be vice versa.

26 minutes ago, Blinky said:

Definitely! Currently we are just lucky that no more tested games fail. Or unlucky, because else the bug would have become more obvious much sooner.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Blinky said:

Thanks for this info.

• Like 3