IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Only thing is print runs for boxes and stickers is usually 1000 units and clearly I wont need that many.

Ehm, 1000 units is too much for the European market? I am not so sure about that. Every major European (internet) retailer is offering the 2600+ and the games. If you are expecting that you are not selling 1000 games (of each title) in Europe than this project is way smaller than it looks ;-) I know it is too late now, but making retail PAL-versions available in Europe in stead of NTSC-versions from the start would have been a better decision. But okay, maybe this project is a huge success and a second run will be made ;-)

Yes, I know the games are mainly for the 2600+ buyers, but do not underestimate the number of original 2600 consoles in Europe ;-) 

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dionoid said:

That sounds excellent! You probably want to go for PAL50, because PAL60 will not display the correct colors on the Atari 2600+. The reason is that the Stella emulator (by default) will autodetect PAL60 as NTSC.

What do you have in mind for the swapping process? Send the NTSC cartridge to Atari (UK? USA?) and get a PAL version back? I think shipping costs will be reasonable when only sending the loose cartridge.

OK I'll make some PAL50 carts.

Yup send me the NTSC cart and I'll send a PAL one back. I'm in the UK.

Once I have some I'll post here and anyone interested can send me a DM to arrange.

• Thanks 5

50 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Ehm, 1000 units is too much for the European market? I am not so sure about that. Every major European (internet) retailer is offering the 2600+ and the games. If you are expecting that you are not selling 1000 games (of each title) in Europe than this project is way smaller than it looks ;-) I know it is too late now, but making retail PAL-versions available in Europe in stead of NTSC-versions from the start would have been a better decision. But okay, maybe this project is a huge success and a second run will be made ;-)

Yes, I know the games are mainly for the 2600+ buyers, but do not underestimate the number of original 2600 consoles in Europe ;-) 

I only meant the 1000 units in terms of making a few copies for a swap here on AA. 

I simply do not know how many purchases of solus carts will be for the 2600+ vs original machines. My gut feeling is that overwhelmingly they will be for new 2600+ owners. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I only meant the 1000 units in terms of making a few copies for a swap here on AA. 

I simply do not know how many purchases of solus carts will be for the 2600+ vs original machines. My gut feeling is that overwhelmingly they will be for new 2600+ owners. 

Well, you will find out ;-) Please add me to the list to exchange Bezerk and Mr Run and Jump ;-)

On the Dutch website Bol.com (your official distributor for The Netherlands) both games can be pre-ordered. The listings show box art with European age classifications printed on them (a.o. pegi). It does not say anything about the fact that this is a NTSC cartridge. And it also states that the game can not be returned (is that legal in the EU?), so I think it would be best to let buyers know that the game is not intended for original European 2600 consoles. Else there can be a lot of complaints.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I think that most people from Europe and Australia who will buy the 2600+ won't try to play the carts on an original PAL 2600 console. But us inveterate Atari 2600 PAL collectors will 🙂

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

And it also states that the game can not be returned (is that legal in the EU?)

... that statement "Videogames kunnen alleen geretourneerd worden als de originele verzegeling niet verbroken is." is something that bol.com adds by default to every video game listing. But in reality they're pretty flexible when it comes to returning games.

Edited by Dionoid

On 9/27/2023 at 10:01 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I don't think such a list exists. But I am sure, we could compile one. We "only" have to list all DPC(+) and CDF(J) games. And maybe a few others like Chetiry. If you browse through your games list using Stella's launcher, the game type (here CDF) will be displayed in the lower right.

image.png.fa2a7fb24492b7acc02bc9587f9f57e6.png

Where does Stella get the manufacturer and rarity information? Is that hard-coded, or in a data file that could be imported and filtered?

5 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I think that most people from Europe and Australia who will buy the 2600+ won't try to play the carts on an original PAL 2600 console. But us inveterate Atari 2600 PAL collectors will 🙂

That's just a guess.

What about people just buying the Paddle pack, thinking they can finally buy some new paddles to use on their old systems. The included paddles games are probably also ntsc, and there is no info about that f.e. on amazon.

I strongly advice to add an info.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e1will said:

Where does Stella get the manufacturer and rarity information? Is that hard-coded, or in a data file that could be imported and filtered?

Both. Stella has a built in property file and saves/loads user defined properties. You can edit both in the Game Properties dialog.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, turbo graphics 220 said:

I think asking for pal versions of the carts is going a bit far really, just get an rgb kit if you care so much about the colours and then you can play all the USA games

Can't do that any more as the Tim Worthington RGB kit is looking like it's gone out of production due to parts shortages.

11 hours ago, Dionoid said:

... that statement "Videogames kunnen alleen geretourneerd worden als de originele verzegeling niet verbroken is." is something that bol.com adds by default to every video game listing. But in reality they're pretty flexible when it comes to returning games.

I am not talking about that default statement (which is legal), I am talking about this one:

bol.thumb.jpg.ce24db66be1405f445b47255dd95e90a.jpg

Edited by Fred_M

32 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I am not talking about that default statement (which is legal), I am talking about this one:

bol.thumb.jpg.ce24db66be1405f445b47255dd95e90a.jpg

When you check other games on bol.com (e.g. Nintendo Switch games), you'll see the same. It is something that bol.com adds by default to every video game listing.

Edited by Dionoid

Okay, so it is up to the seller (in this case Bol.com) to make an exception to their own rules, when a customer finds out that the game is not compatible with the European 2600/7800...

How about this one ;-)

Amazon Germany states the game is compatible with the 2600+ AND the 2600 and 7800.....

amazon.thumb.jpg.abd58bfbaedcc94932505e92ef09e108.jpg

Edited by Fred_M

6 hours ago, turbo graphics 220 said:

I think asking for pal versions of the carts is going a bit far really

Yeah, I'm probably splitting hairs on this. I just don't want no stinking NTSC cartridges amongst my pristine collection of PAL cartridges, haha.

When playing NTSC Berzerk on a PAL machine, I agree it's still very playable. But I just can't ignore the pink walls and the stick man being green. Maybe it's me.

Screenshot2023-10-05122845.thumb.png.99db9ad660fa1221f7c33a133fb93a61.png

6 hours ago, Absalon said:
11 hours ago, Dionoid said:

That's just a guess.

What about people just buying the Paddle pack, thinking they can finally buy some new paddles to use on their old systems. The included paddles games are probably also ntsc, and there is no info about that f.e. on amazon.

I strongly advice to add an info.

Yes, you're right. But then again: In Europe in the late '80s and early '90s, Atari released the 2600 Junior with a "32 in 1" cartridge, containing mostly converted NTSC games with incorrect colors (e.g. the games "Football" and "Tennis" had blue fields instead of green). I'm not sure if many people complained (or if Atari cared) about that back then :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Okay, so it is up to the seller (in this case Bol.com) to make an exception to their own rules, when a customer finds out that the game is not compatible with the European 2600/7800...

How about this one ;-)

Amazon Germany states the game is compatible with the 2600+ AND the 2600 and 7800.....

amazon.thumb.jpg.abd58bfbaedcc94932505e92ef09e108.jpg

A statement about wrong colors on original hw should be added.

For those two games most people won't recognize it anyway, if no screenshots were put on the back side of the box.

Other (coming?) games would be quite annoying with wrong colors.

I remember no blue sky in time pilot, or the trees in frontline were blue... well, LSD for free 😉

But one game was really tough: Beef Drop / Burger time... who want's green buns 🤮

I wait for my 2600+ now to see the correct colors for the very first time in my live🤗

As a kid I would not have cared... it was all black and white anyway... years later in 1987 I've finally learned why I allways died in the river, when playing Aztec Challenge on my C64... when I got a 1084 for my Amiga....gosh🙉

Edited by DEANJIMMY

2 hours ago, gliptitude said:

Would SD multicart work if you just put one game .BIN on the SD card and no menu system? Or could a loader software be written to work this way?

The Harmony has a developer mode where you load a single rom into the Harmony’s flash memory. This way, you can play roms on the Atari 2600+, if the bankswitching scheme is supported.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2023 at 6:35 AM, Dionoid said:

Yeah, I'm probably splitting hairs on this. I just don't want no stinking NTSC cartridges amongst my pristine collection of PAL cartridges, haha.

When playing NTSC Berzerk on a PAL machine, I agree it's still very playable. But I just can't ignore the pink walls and the stick man being green. Maybe it's me.

Screenshot2023-10-05122845.thumb.png.99db9ad660fa1221f7c33a133fb93a61.png

Funny thing is that the player character actually looks closer to the arcade version (though the other colors are off). 

• Haha 1

On 10/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, karri said:

I kind of hope that the 2600+ can play NTSC carts. I already have a PAL 7800. But my telly does not sync well with the NTSC carts. Perhaps the HDMI interface takes care of that?

A 2600+ playing on a 75inch OLED via HDMI is like Premier League vs some fuzzy nonsense with an original 2600 using composite cables on a crappy old CRT...ugh yuck!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

A 2600+ playing on a 75inch OLED via HDMI is like Premier League vs some fuzzy nonsense with an original 2600 using composite cables on a crappy old CRT...ugh yuck!

One of the main reasons I'm looking forward to the 2600+, is that even back in the day on a CRT, my (PAL) 7800 had a really fuzzy image. The footage of the 2600+ looks much better