IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

4 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Yes I noticed the reverse button issue too. I wonder if this is an issue that can be fixed via firmware updates because the random warps make one of my favorite 7800 games unplayable on the +

On 12/11/2018 at 8:20 AM, TailChao said:

T : I'm playing single player mode and my character keeps picking up boxes or jumping - I'm not even pressing these buttons on the controller!
... or ...
T : My controller doesn't seem to be working right in Rikki & Vikki, but other games are fine. What gives?!
S : Rikki & Vikki allows the use of either controller port to move your character when playing as Rikki or Vikki Alone. While this usually doesn't cause any issues, some owners may experience ghost button presses similar to the ones in Xenophobe and Rampage. These can be mitigated by having two-button controllers connected to both ports when playing. If you have an AtariVox connected, try removing it.

Rikki and Vikki had similar issues with random button presses.

Try plugging in two controllers and do not use extension cables.

This is on real 7800 hardware. Not sure if the 2600+ controller ports would have similar issues.

Edited by SuperZapperRecharge

On 9/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, TailChao said:

I've updated the first post's FAQ to cover a few cool new things, such as support for Rikki & Vikki's custom hardware on the 7800 GameDrive (thanks to SainT) and ProSystem-libretro (thanks to Tachi). The latter even supports Retro Achievements, neat!

That would be nice, but it's also largely up to Atari to ensure the 2600+ supports the game. If this sort of thing is important to you (or anyone else reading), please let Atari know you'd like to play Rikki & Vikki on the 2600+ and/or purchase the game from them.

@Ben from Plaion @davpa You two need to work on getting Rikki and Vikki working on the 2600+. Put forth the work to publish this cartridge again. It is one of the best games on the 7800. This would really show off the 2600+ with a modern platform game that kicks NES butt. Bit of work to get it running with the A7800 emulator but it does work on ProSystem Lib-Retro. Hell why not release it on the VCS as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Have you checked if the buttons are reversed in the emulator by default?

Every game that I've tried so far on the 2600+ (well, at least the ones that make different use of the left and right buttons) has the buttons reversed, so I suspect the buttons are reversed by default in the 2600+'s emulator. 

I actually saw one YouTube video review (by "Greg's Game Room") that shows the reviewer playing Xevious with the joystick in hand and you can see that the buttons are reversed there as well.  The reviewer didn't notice the reversal, but you might not if you're not trying the 2600+ and 7800 together or you're just not used to playing a lot of 7800.

It does make me wonder what sort of playtesting was done on the 2600+'s 7800 side before shipping...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

My Galaga works, let me check when I get home what version it is.

Galaga PAL has been reported to work from quite a few players but lower 20% of the screen are missing.

I remember PAL Commando and Xevious are a kind of stretched too, filling up more of the screen than other games.

Xevious Pal has been reported start with a crashed screen from at least 6 players so far but the cart from Dr Karnov works🤔

22 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've got to say, apart from a few non-functioning carts, I'm really impressed with the unit. Build quality seems really good, and the image quality on 2600 & 7800 games is excellent. No noticeable lag

And we are noting all the comments and working on the carts that aren't currently compatible right now. i dont know how long it will take, but I will be updating this thread throughout.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

@Ben from Plaion @davpa You two need to work on getting Rikki and Vikki working on the 2600+. Put forth the work to publish this cartridge again. It is one of the best games on the 7800. This would really show off the 2600+ with a modern platform game that kicks NES butt. Bit of work to get it running with the A7800 emulator but it does work on ProSystem Lib-Retro. Hell why not release it on the VCS as well.

Where do I get a cartridge of this game, header file and ROM from?

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 5:32 PM, swlovinist said:

In its current state, I give it a 7.5/10

+99% compatible with 2600 commercial games

+7800 commercial games work but one(Rampage)

+Joystick CX-40+ is excellent 

+Console is upgradable with firmware

-No power brick for $130.00

-Pitfall II for 2600 and Rampage for the 7800 currently do not work

-Lack of current 7800 homebrew support

-Lack of support for menu multicarts

I am looking forward to this becoming a much better product.  

Hi John,

The PR / Marketing department are putting together a sentiment report on the Atari 2600+ launch. I noted that they are classifying your Youtube review as negative because you 'Gave it a Pass' as in pass on it/dont buy it - I didnt take it like that and thought it got a Pass grade, could be improved.

What is your defination of a pass?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, I found in testing that the blowing method didnt really work, ha! Its like grime in the atmosphere that builds up on the contacts over decades and really needs isopropyl with a qtip to get those contacts shiny again. 

If it’s just psychological, it’s still working 😂

Looks like the Omega Race cart I paid $15 for is dead, but here’s hoping it just needs some cotton swab TLC 🤞

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Where do I get a cartridge of this game, header file and ROM from?

It's much more complex than that you have to update the emulator to support the special chip for music. You would need music files on the updated firmware. It would be a huge deal but it is the best original 7800 game and I'm sure others would help to get Rikki and Vikki on the 2600+. Here is the topic about using the rom and music files on the game drive

Here is the Rikki and Vikki thread:

Look for this question in the first post:

Q : That said, can I play Rikki & Vikki using an emulator or special device?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Xevious Pal has been reported start with a crashed screen from at least 6 players so far but the cart from Dr Karnov works🤔

I looked at my carts before as some are loose and I just had a thought.. the likes of Dr Karnov's Xevious... is it definitely PAL? From my (limited) understanding, the only indicator is the 'P' sticker on the back, my own Xevious has no sticker, it could be PAL and the label peeled off or it could be NTSC - I wouldn't know. Basically, this working cart of Dr Karnov's could be NTSC unless its confirmed otherwise?

Or is there another way to check?

12 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

I looked at my carts before as some are loose and I just had a thought.. the likes of Dr Karnov's Xevious... is it definitely PAL? From my (limited) understanding, the only indicator is the 'P' sticker on the back, my own Xevious has no sticker, it could be PAL and the label peeled off or it could be NTSC - I wouldn't know. Basically, this working cart of Dr Karnov's could be NTSC unless its confirmed otherwise?

I can't rule out that it's NTSC. I bought it with another load of carts earlier this year, and it was advertised as a PAL cart. It does not have the 'P' sticker on, and I can't access my 7800 at the moment to check it

20 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

Some carts have a P in a serial number on the label that I think denotes PAL, but generally I dont think there is a way of telling if the P sticker has fallen off.

Maybe if the developer dumps the ROM and reads the code surely its in there somewhere. 

edit: I do have a beta firmware that detects PAL / NTSC and auto runs at the correct hz but in a game that doesnt boot I dont know if that will be helpful

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zap1982 said:

Only on real HW or as Ben said, the dumped Rom can be analysed.

My non working Xevious has got a P sticker.

But I have carts which are PAL and have no sticker!

36 minutes ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

It's much more complex than that you have to update the emulator to support the special chip for music. You would need music files on the updated firmware. It would be a huge deal but it is the best original 7800 game and I'm sure others would help to get Rikki and Vikki on the 2600+. Here is the topic about using the rom and music files on the game drive

Here is the Rikki and Vikki thread:

Look for this question in the first post:

Q : That said, can I play Rikki & Vikki using an emulator or special device?

Thanks for posting this, looks hard to do.