IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

8 hours ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

So I did some math on his demos and I don't think he even fits into VRAM. He's doing his math based on this post: Space for 256-colour image plus second background? - nesdev.org

But that post is assuming you have only a 256x224 image on screen with no scrolling. He is scrolling here and it's scrolling smoothly with no update jank on the sides from updating the tiles and tile map data in VRAM. From how I understand things for that to work he'd need at least a buffer of tiles on the side of the screen to try and hide the updating, possibly even more. So if we assume he needs it to be 272x224 worth of image, the math works out like this:

• 272x224 comes to 238 (17 tiles wide x 14 tiles high) 16x16 tiles. At 8bpp that comes to 60,928 Bytes.
  • Smallest Tilemap is 32x32, and he's going to need 2 of those. So 4,096 bytes there.

At this point we're at 65,024 bytes. Which is almost all of the 64KB we have for VRAM. But he still has more to draw:

• His 2bpp layer has at least 14 unique 16x16 tiles in it, so that would need about 896 Bytes.
  • He's also going to need about 22 8x8 4bpp tiles for his HUD. It's not scrolling with the 2bpp layer so I'm guessing it's sprites here. So That's another 704 bytes.
  • His Goomba will need 4 8x8 tiles at 4bpp, so another 128 Bytes.
  • The Alucard sprite is going to need roughly 22 8x8 tiles at any given time if I'm looking at it correctly, so another 704 bytes.

So he would still need about 2,432 Bytes. In totally he'd need almost 66KB to display just the 8bpp layer, the 2bpp layer, the HUD, Alucard, and Goombas.

In short, these demos can't work at all even at the basic VRAM level. The only way it could possibly work was if he only used exactly one screens worth of tiles in VRAM with no buffer to allow for smooth tile updates as it scrolled. If he did that it would come to just a few bytes shy of 64KB. But then he'd have obvious errors on the sides of the screen as he tried to update the tiles and tilemap as it scrolled since he'd have no off screen buffer.

No, but, see, in his painting program it all works, and why can’t you just allow him to call that an SNES? He’s a developer and you’re not. In fact he’s so great that, much like Beethoven composing while deaf, he can program without actually doing anything. 

It’s like when my daughter built a robot with a box and glitter. Except she’s way more gracious about feedback.

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

So I did some math on his demos and I don't think he even fits into VRAM. He's doing his math based on this post: Space for 256-colour image plus second background? - nesdev.org

In short, these demos can't work at all even at the basic VRAM level. The only way it could possibly work was if he only used exactly one screens worth of tiles in VRAM with no buffer to allow for smooth tile updates as it scrolled. If he did that it would come to just a few bytes shy of 64KB. But then he'd have obvious errors on the sides of the screen as he tried to update the tiles and tilemap as it scrolled since he'd have no off screen buffer.

At least one good thing has come out of the absolute shit show that the SNES forum on this site has become.  This was very interesting to read, and I appreciate all the technical stuff you've been posting (also, same to @turboxray).

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

@TrekkiesUnite118 Amazing break down, appreciate it, and reminds me when I was more on point with the finer details of what fits and sizes from all that.

...but then it hit me...

How old is Kirk?  In the last couple of decades, depending how loony progressive the school/districts are they started teaching this garbage of new math, not just that core stuff people gang up on which isn't great on approach either (it's more complex and dumb in doing the work usually) but there's a fringe who can claim you can legitimately work out that 2+2 = 5.  Maybe that's how his math works and he can bend the SNES to this form of math.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@TrekkiesUnite118 Amazing break down, appreciate it, and reminds me when I was more on point with the finer details of what fits and sizes from all that.

...but then it hit me...

How old is Kirk?  In the last couple of decades, depending how loony progressive the school/districts are they started teaching this garbage of new math, not just that core stuff people gang up on which isn't great on approach either (it's more complex and dumb in doing the work usually) but there's a fringe who can claim you can legitimately work out that 2+2 = 5.  Maybe that's how his math works and he can bend the SNES to this form of math.

Assuming he's not lying on his public resume he's in his 40s and used to work at Rare developing GBC and GBA games and Rockstar doing GTA scripting and level design. However he's not listed in the credits for any of the games he claims to have worked on save for GTA Ballad of Gay Tony.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

Assuming he's not lying on his public resume he's in his 40s and used to work at Rare developing GBC and GBA games and Rockstar doing GTA scripting and level design. However he's not listed in the credits for any of the games he claims to have worked on save for GTA Ballad of Gay Tony.

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

Yeah this smells of a TT situation to me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bent_pin said:

Tell Me More Jeff Goldblum GIF by National Geographic Channel

His resume is public on his blog. He claims to have worked as an artist and animator at Rare from 1999-2000 on games like Donkey Kong Contry GBC, Banjo Kazooie: Gruntie's Revenge for GBA, etc. But he's not listed in the credits for those games or any Rare Games. The next two companies I can't find if they even exist anymore or if they ever existed. The games I can't find any evidence of them being released save for one that looks to have been an educational teamwork oriented game for Mac and PC. After that he has that he worked for Rockstar from 2008-2010 on GTA V, GTA IV DLC, and an unreleased game called Agent. The only game he's actually listed in the credits for though is GTA IV Ballad of Gay Tony. There is a Kirk Johnson credited for GTA IV The Lost and the Damned, so maybe there was a typo there. If we look at GTA V though there's no Kirk Johnson or Johnston.

So the only thing we can confirm is a Kirk Johnson/Johnston did work at Rockstar on 2 GTA IV DLCs, whether or not that's actually him or not we don't know. The rest either doesn't hold up to scrutiny or can't be verified because the companies no longer exist, the games never released, or the games were obscure eduntainment titles that I can barely find evidence of their existence. Not gonna make any accusations or anything, but those are the claims and those are the game credits we can actually look up. So make what you want out of that info.

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

His resume is public on his blog. He claims to have worked as an artist and animator at Rare from 1999-2000 on games like Donkey Kong Contry GBC, Banjo Kazooie: Gruntie's Revenge for GBA, etc. But he's not listed in the credits for those games or any Rare Games. The next two companies I can't find if they even exist anymore or if they ever existed. The games I can't find any evidence of them being released save for one that looks to have been an educational teamwork oriented game for Mac and PC. After that he has that he worked for Rockstar from 2008-2010 on GTA V, GTA IV DLC, and an unreleased game called Agent. The only game he's actually listed in the credits for though is GTA IV Ballad of Gay Tony. There is a Kirk Johnson credited for GTA IV The Lost and the Damned, so maybe there was a typo there. If we look at GTA V though there's no Kirk Johnson or Johnston.

So the only thing we can confirm is a Kirk Johnson/Johnston did work at Rockstar on 2 GTA IV DLCs, whether or not that's actually him or not we don't know. The rest either doesn't hold up to scrutiny or can't be verified because the companies no longer exist, the games never released, or the games were obscure eduntainment titles that I can barely find evidence of their existence. Not gonna make any accusations or anything, but those are the claims and those are the game credits we can actually look up. So make what you want out of that info.

So if i am reading this right and the blog post, does that mean we have another Kieren Hawken (a liar and backstabber of an individual in the retro gaming scene) in our hands with Kirk? 😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I don't think it's as malicious as that. I think what we have is someone who wants very badly to be an expert but doesn't want to do any of the actual work involved in becoming one. I think it's possible he worked at the places he said he did, but I also think it's possible he got fired, so he likely wouldn't have been credited in that case. I mean, can you imagine being this guy's manager? The guy could be perfectly competent and nobody would have time for his bullshit. And looking at his portfolio, outside of some actually quite nice 3D animation work, I can't see that he has anywhere near the competency required for anyone to look past his toxicity. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

Not gonna lie, I find it funny how you literally made six threads in this part of the forums. 

Just a quick check scrolling down, I see 22 threads he made, and that's just on "Page 01." So if you dig the content he's throwing down and the discussions within, you're not limited to just 6.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

Just a quick check scrolling down, I see 22 threads he made, and that's just on "Page 01." So if you dig the content he's throwing down and the discussions within, you're not limited to just 6.

Dang--I post a lot!

And I'll just helpfully remind everyone of my signature again at this time too. :)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Shame it isn't because this thread never should have passed the original comment +1 to any other comment he made, yet another +1.

Just answer the subject and paste it in there as a reminder on the +1 post.

"Anyone care to check something for me?"  Answer: You're wrong, and it's not possible.

He'd have at least a little more credibility if his dozens of demos weren't done in Game Maker

14 hours ago, Cris1997XX said:

He'd have at least a little more credibility if his dozens of demos weren't done in Game Maker

You're not wrong in that statement. But we are where we are right now.

Similarly, when any of these specific people educating us all on how it can and must be done results in any actual SNES examples, we'll all win, right.

Until then, here's the link to my article detailing how I think my most recent example could be done if it were to ever get made for SNES properly:

https://inceptionalnews.wordpress.com/2023/09/09/how-my-eye-melting-snes-mockup-could-be-done/

Every individual can freely make their own mind up on the credibility of my ideas and/or even choose to ignore any/all my threads and comments if they prefer.

And if even one person finds any of what I'm concepting and demonstrating interesting, helpful, and maybe even feels inspired to try something on SNES themselves as a result, I'm all good. :)

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

4 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

You're not wrong in that statement. But we are where we are right now.

Similarly, when any of these specific people educating us all on how it can and must be done results in any actual SNES examples, we'll all win, right.

Until then, here's the link to my article detailing how I think my most recent example could be done if it were to ever get made for SNES properly:

https://inceptionalnews.wordpress.com/2023/09/09/how-my-eye-melting-snes-mockup-could-be-done/

Every individual can freely make their own mind up on the credibility of my ideas and/or even choose to ignore any/all my threads and comments if they prefer.

And if even one person finds any of what I'm concepting and demonstrating interesting, helpful, and maybe even feels inspired to try something on SNES themselves as a result, I'm all good. :)

Why would anyone who actually knows the hardware waste time on demos that aren't even novel or interesting from a game design standpoint? Especially when they know the ideas you're trying to show off with them can't work because of how the hardware works?

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Kirk here is demonstrating the classic method of the end justifying the means. But as he has set the end-portion of the equation so low, and as time is infinite, there will always be a possibility of someone somewhere somehow finding something of value in his "concepts". 

So unless he gets bored, there's no reason for him to stop.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1