IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

On 9/9/2023 at 4:10 PM, Cris1997XX said:

He'd have at least a little more credibility if his dozens of demos weren't done in Game Maker

Totally.  Whether his paranoia allows this one to be read or not I'd write it all the same.

For months I appreciated the enthusiasm, grit, and desire to push the ideas and envelope.  He even got a couple people to do some basic what if's for him after much of his now reviled textual grinding of people down and arm twisting and some stuff really worked.  it was nice to see.   But more and more it slowly crept into shitting on NEC(TG16) and Sega(Genesis/MD) more and more, like the console wars were alive once more, but in the end seemed like some circa 1910s crazy civil wars vets from the south saying they'd win the war of aggression, and the SNES (I mean the SOUTH) will rise again!  It got boring, then grating, then really tiring.  I started to push back saying, no dude, that really won't work, and while I didn't get into coder depth, something I can't do like trekkies etc can do, I tried, back check the old posts/logs you'll see it.  When I got told I was wrong, that I was one of them denying reality, a liar, trying to hold him back, and the other re-runs we see that have increased I doubled then tripled down on it and got blocked on his first day of his mental break, when he snapped and added like 6 of us to an ignore list.

I miss when he wasn't utterly out of his damn mind, earlier posts talked about the neat things the hardware and games with and without special chips or other additional hardware and it was nice.  You could compare the hardware plus and minus on it, and the other 16bitters without more than a somewhat backhanded comment any fan would have made then or now still still has preferences.  I'll back bite the GEnesis handily considering they glmped good hardware from the arcade to be cheap making the audio too poor and too few colors which could have been better, notably better.  TG16/PCE though is a wow, earlier, competitor intent to the Famicom, yet it stomped the Genesis in its home market for good reason.  It has shortcomings, but smart coding can fix that and then it really flies.  It's not hard to do this and I'm not being a flying twatwaffle about it.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Totally.  Whether his paranoia allows this one to be read or not I'd write it all the same.

For months I appreciated the enthusiasm, grit, and desire to push the ideas and envelope.  He even got a couple people to do some basic what if's for him after much of his now reviled textual grinding of people down and arm twisting and some stuff really worked.  it was nice to see.   But more and more it slowly crept into shitting on NEC(TG16) and Sega(Genesis/MD) more and more, like the console wars were alive once more, but in the end seemed like some circa 1910s crazy civil wars vets from the south saying they'd win the war of aggression, and the SNES (I mean the SOUTH) will rise again!  It got boring, then grating, then really tiring.  I started to push back saying, no dude, that really won't work, and while I didn't get into coder depth, something I can't do like trekkies etc can do, I tried, back check the old posts/logs you'll see it.  When I got told I was wrong, that I was one of them denying reality, a liar, trying to hold him back, and the other re-runs we see that have increased I doubled then tripled down on it and got blocked on his first day of his mental break, when he snapped and added like 6 of us to an ignore list.

I miss when he wasn't utterly out of his damn mind, earlier posts talked about the neat things the hardware and games with and without special chips or other additional hardware and it was nice.  You could compare the hardware plus and minus on it, and the other 16bitters without more than a somewhat backhanded comment any fan would have made then or now still still has preferences.  I'll back bite the GEnesis handily considering they glmped good hardware from the arcade to be cheap making the audio too poor and too few colors which could have been better, notably better.  TG16/PCE though is a wow, earlier, competitor intent to the Famicom, yet it stomped the Genesis in its home market for good reason.  It has shortcomings, but smart coding can fix that and then it really flies.  It's not hard to do this and I'm not being a flying twatwaffle about it.

In the end, I think we can all agree that the Atari Jaguar was the best 16-bit...sorry, 64-bit console 😆

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, WavyGravy said:

Unfortunately, we can tell by his VRAM calculations that Kirk cannot, in fact, Do the Math.

Yeah he can, Atari Math, and see see how well that worked out for them ;)  The math where in advertising it can lure in and sucker someone without a clue because it is flashy, loud, and impressive, but in practice it can barely handle shit (like the Jaguar.) :D

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

So, I have an interesting line of thought that this reminds me of...

The SNES had a few different add-on/helper/whatever chips available for its cartridges.  The SuperFX was essentially a second processor, if I understand things correctly.

While I have no problem with accepting a SuperFX game, or other co-processors, as showing what was possible on the system... it does seem as though with the SNES (and some other older systems), you could slap a modern processors into a SNES cart and just use the SNES as a "dumb" game terminal, running the game entirely as a visual stream from the cartridge.

I wouldn't think of that as a "real" SNES game.  It's a neat technical trick, but it seems like it's cheating... and, in theory, it wouldn't be economically feasible.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?  What would be the "craziest" cartridge-based single game bypass one might normally consider to be "a real game running on the hardware"?  (The Genesis Virtua Racing or Fighter or whatever it was called?  For that matter, I guess you could argue the Sega CD and 32X are basically this concept but in a much larger form factor.)

(I mean, our beloved Atari computer series has many examples of "impossible" modern day cartridges, right?)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DavidD said:

The SNES had a few different add-on/helper/whatever chips available for its cartridges.  The SuperFX was essentially a second processor, if I understand things correctly.

While I have no problem with accepting a SuperFX game, or other co-processors, as showing what was possible on the system... it does seem as though with the SNES (and some other older systems), you could slap a modern processors into a SNES cart and just use the SNES as a "dumb" game terminal, running the game entirely as a visual stream from the cartridge.

I wouldn't think of that as a "real" SNES game.  It's a neat technical trick, but it seems like it's cheating... and, in theory, it wouldn't be economically feasible.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?  What would be the "craziest" cartridge-based single game bypass one might normally consider to be "a real game running on the hardware"?  (The Genesis Virtua Racing or Fighter or whatever it was called?  For that matter, I guess you could argue the Sega CD and 32X are basically this concept but in a much larger form factor.)

(I mean, our beloved Atari computer series has many examples of "impossible" modern day cartridges, right?)

I forget which discord server I stole this from but it seems apt.

isthiswhatyouredoing.thumb.png.72a17d9c87bbb8ed8752e0e508805422.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mittens0407 said:

I forget which discord server I stole this from but it seems apt.

isthiswhatyouredoing.thumb.png.72a17d9c87bbb8ed8752e0e508805422.png

I was going to say "it would be funnier with a Cray supercomputer attached" -- then it occurred to me that I no mental image of a modern-day "supercomputer".  I mean, a suppose racks and racks would work... does current culture still have a visual model of a "super computer"?

34 minutes ago, DavidD said:

I was going to say "it would be funnier with a Cray supercomputer attached" -- then it occurred to me that I no mental image of a modern-day "supercomputer".  I mean, a suppose racks and racks would work... does current culture still have a visual model of a "super computer"?

Even a Raspberry Pi 4 could count as a supercomputer if it existed back in the 90s, try slapping it into a SNES cartridge and see what happens

You'd still probably be bottlenecked how fast you could transfer data from the cartridge computer to places like VRAM and what not so it could actually be displayed.

Saturn probably is one of the more interesting systems in this area. There's pins in both the cartridge port and Video CD slot that can pipe both Video into VDP2 as an External Background Layer, and audio to be mixed and output. So in theory you could add a bunch of new hardware to a cartridge that renders everything to it's own frame buffer that gets piped into VDP2 to display. Then have the rest of the system rendering what ever you want to do to be mixed with the external frame buffer while also running some game logic, controller inputs, sound, loading data from the disc, etc.

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TrekkiesUnite118 said:

You'd still probably be bottlenecked how fast you could transfer data from the cartridge computer to places like VRAM and what not so it could actually be displayed.

Saturn probably is one of the more interesting systems in this area. There's pins in both the cartridge port and Video CD slot that can pipe both Video into VDP2 as an External Background Layer, and audio can be piped in to be mixed and output. So in theory you could add a bunch of new hardware to a cartridge that renders everything to it's own frame buffer that gets piped into VDP2 to display. Then have the rest of the system rendering what ever you want to do to be mixed with the external frame buffer while also running some game logic, controller inputs, sound, loading data from the disc, etc.

So if I understand this correctly...you could make an add-on that works both as a RAM expansion and a VDP3? Kinda like the V9900 cartridges for MSX, right?

1 minute ago, Cris1997XX said:

So if I understand this correctly...you could make an add-on that works both as a RAM expansion and a VDP3? Kinda like the V9900 cartridges for MSX, right?

It's basically how the MPEG card works. When playing a Video CD/Decoding MPEG-1 the Saturn isn't really doing anything, the MPEG card is doing it all and just piping the decoded Video into VDP2's EXBG layer and sending the decompressed audio straight to the output. If using either that port or the cartridge port you could pretty much put whatever you wanted in there to just pipe the output to the EXBG layer.  There's nothing stopping you from putting some new GPU, CPU, and some RAM for it to use and then just pipe your frame buffer to VDP2's EXBG, as long as it's in a resolution and format VDP2 can understand.

Now if you wanted to add more RAM to the existing Saturn hardware, that would be limited by the speed of the cartridge slot which is on the A-Bus which is 16-bit. So it would be like expanding LWRAM, not HWRAM. But there's nothing really stopping you from having both a a super CPU/GPU combo + a RAM expansion for the base Saturn hardware.

2 hours ago, DavidD said:

Think about it this way: The Super FX chip was the 3D hardware render,while the SA-1 chip was the faster co-CPU processor.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Think about it this way: The Super FX chip was the 3D hardware render,while the SA-1 chip was the faster co-CPU processor.

Right -- but things like the MSU-1, from the modern era, could allow for "cloud gaming" on the SNES, as it were.  Not internet (probably), but if you slapped an android device into a shell, and made something like the MSU-1 dedicated just to taking a live video stream from the Android and displaying it on the SNES...

I feel like there are lots of modern devices for retro machines that do pieces of this... wasn't someone showing of Doom being played on something via what was essentially a video stream solution?

(HDMI to Game Boy Camera...)

30 minutes ago, DavidD said:

I feel like there are lots of modern devices for retro machines that do pieces of this... wasn't someone showing of Doom being played on something via what was essentially a video stream solution?

(HDMI to Game Boy Camera...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jee4tlakqo

SuperRT

Ben Carter made this hardware raytracer for the SNES, it's pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVN9kIUNxw

Doom on NES

This may be what you were thinking of with the NES acting basically as a terminal for a Raspberry Pi playing Doom.

Hey, if we can get Game Maker 8.1 running on a Raspberry Pi inside a SNES cart, maybe these demos CAN be done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, DavidD said:

Do you mean like this:

Honestly with homebrew I find putting additional stuff like that into the console to feel like cheating. It gets to a point where you're just using the console more as a dumb terminal to act as a pass-through to a more powerful piece of hardware. Part of the charm of homebrew is working with in the limits of what the hardware has. Things that were officially released back when the console was around like the SuperFX, SA-1, RAM Carts/Expansions, etc. are one thing, but some devs even feel like they're cheating using that kind of stuff.

For example on Saturn when it comes to FMV, I find it much more interesting playing with software codecs and seeing how good the quality can get on those than I do playing with the MPEG card.

• Like 3

Well I think if you're using vintage chipsets the industry was fine with, you're just being a bit lame calling that a cheat.  While they're rarely tapped, one of them was to really good effect.  Hind Strike on SNES came out some years back, even Piko sold it for a time loose/CIB on his online shop.  It wasn't cheap though, as kind of an homage mix up of Pilotwings and the EA Strike series, it went with the perspective of Pilotwings, a game using the DSP chip, so it used it too.  The games that were made ended up harvesting the DSP from carts killing a few off to make the game possible.  The game is utterly fantastic.  Imagine the Desert Strike system of plot, objectives, waypoints, and fuel/life/loadout coupled with the flight and fire mechanics of the bonus end game Pilotwings attack chopper stages and that's Hind Strike.

I wish I had the money at that point, things were too tight, as I so wanted to own this on a real cart. :\  I considered this and still do consider it peak SNES aftermarket gaming.

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

And this is the issue I have with him. The enthusiasm part is great.. and wanting to explore what's possible is also great - most of the homebrew scene (whether any gets produced from this, is another thing haha) is divided into two camps; those that just want to make something playable on whatever old console, and those of us that want to push to the system beyond what was done back in the day. The problem with inceptional, is that he wants to be in the latter group. He wants to inspire people to think outside the box, which is a good thing, but he's clashed with so many people, including the people IN the snes dev scene. He lacks respect. He gets easy frustrated and lashes out even at people that are trying to help him (or answer his questions). He DOES have an ulterior motive in that he has this console war agenda - and he DOES attack not just other fans of consoles.. but homebrew devs as well. He doesn't want to push the SNES just to push the SNES.. he wants to do it to show "how much more the snes is better in EVERYWAY to the Megadrive". I personally find that attitude extremely childish for an adult of his age. I get it - he grew up with the SNES during grade school (probably 8 years old at the time), and somehow reverted back to that mentality.

Literally, if it wasn't for his toxicity - I'd be cheering him on. He's been called out on it multiple times for his console war nonsense, so now he tries to hide it - but it comes out when he gets frustrated or called out on stuff. He WILL distort facts about specs he doesn't understand, to attack others with his console war nonsense. And worse, when he KNOWS better.. but disingenuously argues facts anyway (even when the are pointless). A number of months back, he was on a mission to show that SNES could show more tiles than the MD.. even though it was all 2bit color tiles.. all because he didn't like the fact that SNES vram layout is more segmented and rigid and MD you can put anything anywhere in VRAM.. he didn't like the MD having this "over the snes's head". Stupid nonsense like this. And his videos, even now that he's toned down the direct rhetoric, is ALL to serve that purpose. His last video is a prime example of his (yeah, it's a lot on screen.. with pixels 10x large than even the 2600 haha). There's also this arrogance around him that he has this innate ability to think outside the box.. that HE needs to give snes homebrew devs "direction". Because you know, they can't think for themselves. The irony here, is that ALOT of stuff happens in the homebrew console dev scene.. that never makes it to the public. A lot of private proof of concepts (i.e. running on real systems). But he's oblivious to this because he doesn't write code and hang around said groups (even groups within groups). I have literally seen him try to take credit for other devs proof of concepts. I've also seen him do mental gymnastics when he gets called out on stuff.. and if enough people do it.. then he'll make the admission that he messed up. I mean, if you know something is inaccurate.. why play the game and pretend it's no or not a big deal? In retro console dev... ACCURACY is EVERYTHING. It's why retro console dev is difficult compared to just simulating the limits (ala Steam retro looking games).

It's the arrogance. It's the self-importance. It's the toxicity. It's the unwarranted attacks on other homebrew devs (and fans). It's the overall ignorance of what retro console dev requires of you. Someone mentioned here that at least his "heart" is in the right place. I disagree. I 110% disagree. Anyway, that sucks because I like seeing people post ideas and thinking outside the box, etc. It also sucks that he as garnered such a reputation, that people don't like HIM promoting their work because they don't want that association. In other words, him promoting other snes dev work/projects actually hurts them to some degree.

So yeah, I'm with you - love dev blogs and seeing people's work. And honestly, a lot happens in the bowels of niche groups doing amazing stuffs for retro consoles that doesn't always make it to the public light. I think more snes dev stuff should be shown. Plenty of MD channels exist just to show you proof of concepts and WIP dev stuffs.

For the record, there's nothing wrong with mocking up stuffs. But the idea is that 1) you ACTUALLY know the hardware enough that the mockup is fleshed out to be accurate, and 2) you follow it up with a working example. I'll often mock up stuff, crunch the numbers to make sure it's doable, and then make the proof of concept. I HAVE given him the benefit of doubt.. quite a few times.. figuring he would out grow this childish phase - because I have seen others come in with the same attituded and over time shed it. Because dev'ing on a retro console teaches you some humility haha.

Anyway, it does suck that this drama surrounding him is dominating the SNES section here. If I come across some stuffs for snes dev, I'll try to post them here - something positive for a change haha. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well I think if you're using vintage chipsets the industry was fine with, you're just being a bit lame calling that a cheat.  While they're rarely tapped, one of them was to really good effect.  Hind Strike on SNES came out some years back, even Piko sold it for a time loose/CIB on his online shop.  It wasn't cheap though, as kind of an homage mix up of Pilotwings and the EA Strike series, it went with the perspective of Pilotwings, a game using the DSP chip, so it used it too.  The games that were made ended up harvesting the DSP from carts killing a few off to make the game possible.  The game is utterly fantastic.  Imagine the Desert Strike system of plot, objectives, waypoints, and fuel/life/loadout coupled with the flight and fire mechanics of the bonus end game Pilotwings attack chopper stages and that's Hind Strike.

The problem is that I'd never consider it "cheating" when used as part of the existing technology -- it just seems "weird" to compare, say, a Raspberry PI running Doom with the advanced NES mappers.  Emotionally, I want to draw a line between "possible with the hardware of the day" and "possible with modern hardware shoehorned INTO old hardware," but I have a hard time factually making that comparison!

The Super MT and the MSU are examples of things I find really neat in a "wow, look what folks did" sort of way, but... well, they seem logically impractical, so...

The 2600 adapters for older systems (and, I suppose, the Master Base Convertor) seem somewhat similar... did anyone ever release a "cartridge" that was essentially a stand-along device using the system as a somewhat-passive feed?  The Game Boy Wifi card is somewhat that, but what was the closest we got with original, old hardware?

• Like 2

@turboxray  I'm totally in the same position as you on it with him, and the community.  You have these two camps, and it's that way in NES and Gameboy (NES Maker GB Studio too) creators who want something more vanilla and easily doable, then you have those who want the challenge, either some deep coding or figuring out what works that didn't get attempted for X Y Z reasons.  Both are solid things to be in, when grounded in reality, and that's where Kirk left the boat -- reality.  It's great to push people to do stuff, debate all you want, I did it for well over a decade plus.  But the thing is, you have a good way and the bad way, and him faking stuff, making videos acting knowledgeable above your pay grade, making wild claims that this works and you're stupid/wrong if it doesn't gets more into the tin foil hat I saw bigfoot and you're a liar club stuff.  He clearly is motivated by the console wars.  I know it's sad, and I'm not picking on actual military veterans here, but he is the video game equivalent of that old WW2 Japanese veteran story out of the 1970s.  This guy was hiding in the Philippines somewhere if I remember right, Japanese grunt soldier, and despite knowing it ended badly the guy fought on for like 30 years after because he refused to accept defeat, refused to deal with reality, and only advanced age and finally just having had enough came out of the jungle and stopped...when he should have been in a retirement home at that rate.  That's Inceptional/Kirk, the die hard banzai!!!! level fanatic veteran who will charge a wall of reality and eat the bullets and keep coming to make the point.

I had been cheering him on, as much as I do lay it on thick now because I'm 110% burned out on his BS as this was a favorite section of mine here he shit the bed on driving so many out, I did try.  Anyone can run a search on my name, this forum, go back a year, 6 months, 3 months even and I explained, detailed, even encouraged it until I kind of bumped into something, figured out A = B and realized it was a slow moving train wreck in progress.  I won't go big like you did, you said it well and I do'nt need to be an utter parrot.  It's as you said, toxic behavior, arrogance, lashing out, calling people smarter basically stupid-er.  He's the reason why I stopped making new posts in here, stopped responding with care to various others once he stepped in to make a claim.  It's like why bother you know?  It's why I randomly tell new people to outright refrain from responding to his posts because it's causing problems.  I never do this, but it's all I can do without mod/admin powers.  If this were one of my old ones I did admin either DVGC for fun or in the media the decade after I'd have taken him down months ago after a few fair open warnings with reasoning why it was an issue to be fair (and open) given the way the antics play out so it didn't look like staff bullying.

Please do what you can, he has us blocked.  I'd be happy to dicuss.

I've had a few things I got in recent months that are related I just didn't write out either due to that prick.  Did you know that a tiny 2-3 drop of solder micro PCB was made for the US SUper GB?  It bypasses the broken wrong clock on there.  I put one into my SGB and man that feels better and sounds right too since it's not going a bit fast now.  Been doing some time on Picross among others with GB->SGB-> inside my SuperNT and it's nice.  Or that video about Hind STrike, I know of a few other interesting things and stories I could pop up somewhat also around licenses/properties Piko got worth picking up...but there's captain quirk there, so...meh.

@DavidD  I for one agree with you.  The MSU I'm on the fence with as it's sketchy, yet it works in the SD2SNES/FXPak.  I've wanted to (fuck kirk) debate that one here, curious to see if something could be made to make that physical, what would be the expense?  Is it practical?  What would be the end game of reality vs the more unlimited space of the SD card for ROMS?  THe MSU isn't just for despite being largely tapped on audio and FMV.  It has abilities, some I think could be more practically abused like the SA1 could perhaps.  We've seen that SNES with Phantasia can go over the 4MByte file size for that nice audio it has, what could be done on a SNES game knowing you can inch it up on a chip still, a vintage chip.  But if you got into hiding a tiny microSD card in there along with some rigged up modern fix to run MSU Final Fantasy IV with symphony music, that would skate into not being vintage, right, just a work around like DOOM on the Pi (or that funny streamed Doom on the pregnancy test kit), or where you use the NES basically as a slave to run Doom too as you said.  I mean, cool, but for practical vintage limits, I don't like it.

THose old kits, POwerbase, Masterconverter, SuperGB1(and 2 in japan), the GB Player, the coleco additional devices... they're all just micronized/consolized versions of something else basically using the original system as it's bitch, a pass through, using little to damn near nothing other than A/V output and controls being registered so I get that.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1