IGNORED

Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version's ?

JPF997

41 minutes ago, ledzep said:

Those recharged games have that music because it's a current fad, if they'd been programmed 30 years ago they'd have different music, maybe techno or something, who knows, because synthwave wasn't a thing back then.  There's nothing special about synthwave that that's the only choice for in-game music for these Atari recharged games as much as you wish so.

Huh no synthwave is not the current fad by any means, only cultured people even know about it, have you seen what most of my contemporaries are into, garbage pop music, garbage rap music that promotes drugs and prostitution, reggaeton, drill, Brazilian  funk music etc.

The game developer's over at Atari decided to used synthwave style music and graphics in these remake's because they thought it would be a perfect fit, it's not the only choice they had available but it's the one they went with, lord knows why...

13 hours ago, Giles N said:

You can find peoples from any cultural ‘layer’ and background, worried that Big Tech is just getting too big.

Not all feel like they need to ‘go punk’ in order to privately reduce its use or complain loudly.

Everything from US and EU politicians have had hearings with Zuckerberg (FB is considered Big Tech).

If Apple and Microsoft (other Big Tech companies) goes to far, enough people gets dissatisfied, all it takes is one good, independent competitor who provides a better option that more people will like.

Just to give an example of how things are shifting:   Ten years ago, the concept of "Big Tech" barely existed.   People still generally had good feelings about these 'new' internet companies.   Google Trends shows that the usage of the term "Big Tech" took off in 2020 after the pandemic

I was a fan of Google when they started, but I thought their slogan "Don't Be Evil" was cringe.   I predicted within twenty years they'd be seen as evil,  and here we are  :)

• Like 1

I felt duped by this video.  😁   Got my hopes up all high like...  I thought they were gonna show me how to make Synthwave "in 1 minute."    But nope, it was just a 1 minute summary of how to make a synthwave. 

Heck, if all the work was already done, tracks recorded, arranged, etc, I could apply their same logic to make Bohemian Rhapsody in 1 minute or less.  At 60 songs per hour, I'd be a musical workhorse.

On 9/19/2023 at 4:49 AM, ledzep said:

Same goes for synthwave.

• Like 2

Wait... You guys started bickering about synthwave on page 1.  We're 12 pages in and it's still going?  That's kind of amazing, actually.  Wonder how long it'll go before someone decides to be the one to just let it go?

To be back on topic a bit... I think I only have 1 Recharged game unless I added something to the library and forgot about it.  I picked up Yars recently.  And it hasn't hooked me in yet, so my opinion could change, but at of right now I easily prefer the original.  But I dunno, I may come back later after more playtime and tell myself I'm wrong and everything I said is a lie and start bickering with me until I have the final word and just let it go.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Huh no synthwave is not the current fad by any means, only cultured people even know about it, have you seen what most of my contemporaries are into, garbage pop music, garbage rap music that promotes drugs and prostitution, reggaeton, drill, Brazilian  funk music etc.

AND we’ve circled back to the judgement and the smug superiority. Again… 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, JPF997 said:

You know you should have a bit more respect for breakout, it  literally inspired the creation  of the most successful video game in history Tetris , it also launched the career of Steve Jobs and Wozniak, you don't have to like it but there's no need to treat it like it's some shitty forgettable game.

This is not true. I have never seen Breakout mentioned as an inspiration by the creator of Tetris. In fact, he said it was based on his favorite board game. If only there was evidence… oh wait there is!

source: https://tetris.com/about-us#:~:text=Inspired by his favorite puzzle,top of the playing field.

IMG_2611.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jerseystyle said:

AND we’ve circled back to the judgement and the smug superiority. Again… 

Firstly you don't even respond to my messages and then you sneak into a discussion you had no part in just  to start claiming that I'm somehow acting "smug", did you even bother looking at how this conversation started, because if you did you would never claim that I'm the one with a sense of superiority.

• Confused 3

2 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Firstly you don't even respond to my messages and then you sneak into a discussion you had no part in just  to start claiming that I'm somehow acting "smug", did you even bother looking at how this conversation started, because if you did you would never claim that I'm the one with a sense of superiority.

What message? And “sneak into a discussion”? Dude I’ve been talking about this with y’all for like a week (check my post history). I still think you’re missing the point here. These recharged games (and many retro titles) all share DNA with Geometry Wars. Have you played it? Massive success and has been copied  ever since. THEY got some of their inspiration from games like T2K (which didn’t have an Synthwave aesthetic but more like a techno/club vibe) which was based on Minter’s lifelong obsession with house music and colorful wobbly bits. If you’d like to discuss the evolution/history of games- awesome. But either be willing to listen to folks or take the time to learn a bit.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

What message? And “sneak into a discussion”? Dude I’ve been talking about this with y’all for like a week (check my post history). I still think you’re missing the point here. These recharged games (and many retro titles) all share DNA with Geometry Wars. Have you played it? Massive success and has been copied  ever since. THEY got some of their inspiration from games like T2K (which didn’t have an Synthwave aesthetic but more like a techno/club vibe) which was based on Minter’s lifelong obsession with house music and colorful wobbly bits. If you’d like to discuss the evolution/history of games- awesome. But either be willing to listen to folks or take the time to learn a bit.

Shit snares, Rand. Shit snares.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I meant the conversation I was having specifically with ledzep ( probably the highlight of this thread at this point, never thought it would go on for this long ). Anyways I was wrong about breakout inspiring Tetris, it did inspire many other games like Arkanoid but not Tetris.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

No it didn't. Wozniak had a job elsewhere, Jobs was already working at Atari, and Wozniak's design was never used because it was too expensive.

Breakout was massively influential in many ways, yes it didn't literally start the careers of Jobs and Wozniak but it may as well have   had, it was also very important for the founding of Apple, here you go:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/10/09/how-steve-wozniak-s-breakout-defined-apple-s-future.aspx

9 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

No it didn't. Wozniak had a job elsewhere, Jobs was already working at Atari, and Wozniak's design was never used because it was too expensive.

On Breakout?  That isn't the story I read... Jobs was at Atari, given the job of making a cheaper Breakout, went to Wozniak, who was working at HP, to get a cheaper design, and Wozniak did it, but then Jobs never split the money with him fairly.  Woz found out years later and 'was disappointed'.  I would have kicked Jobs in the nuts.  But Atari did pay for the design.  I am not sure if that was the version that showed up in Arcades though.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Ya know, I was gonna make a joke about how awesome a "recharged" version of that song would be, but I just can't do it.  It's too perfect as it is.

So it wasn’t until I (as a little kid) saw his performance on The Muppet Show that I realized the gambler dies in the song. I was INCONSOLABLE. I remember thinking it meant my Grandpa was gonna die soon (was his favorite song). Damn Muppets going hard, haha.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

I meant the conversation I was having specifically with ledzep ( probably the highlight of this thread at this point, never thought it would go on for this long ). Anyways I was wrong about breakout inspiring Tetris, it did inspire many other games like Arkanoid but not Tetris.

So honest question here- you said Breakout “literally” inspired Tetris. Why did you think that? You phrased it as a statement of fact, so where did your info come from?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, jerseystyle said:

So honest question here- you said Breakout “literally” inspired Tetris. Why did you think that? You phrased it as a statement of fact, so where did your info come from?

Probably the result of reading too many gaming history related articles and listening to so many gaming podcasts, sometimes I mix information up, it happens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, digdugnate said:

As far as Neo Breakout went, it was good... for Breakout.  lol

I liked the reimagined games on Atari 50, particularly Haunted House.

What not enough pookas and fygars for you? At least the paddle isn't a deadbeat dad lol

Wasn't huge on Haunted Houses, although I am looking forward to the roguelite one for switch

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

It’s a public forum.  Let’s not go TT. No one should go full TT.

Everyone is welcome to comment on my thread's, what I found weird was how you kinda butted in/responded to my response to ledzep, and the way you did it specifically by accusing me of being smug and having some sense of superiority.

• Sad 1