IGNORED

Do you prefer the recharged games or the original version's ?

JPF997

15 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Some people might scoff at this but that neon sign of the Atari logo in the original Blade runner changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, it ended up inspiring the company itself , you see this especially during the blade runner 2049 collaboration, getting the Fuji logo to appear once more for the sequel was a moment of great pride for both the producers of the film and Atari itself.

Also remember- feelings aren’t facts. You feeling this way doesn’t equate to it being a real thing. And they did remake Night Driver recently, but I’ve not played it so not sure how aligned with the others it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

I’m gonna have to see sources for that because that sounds like a HUUUUGGGGEEES stretch. I’m a giant Atari fan, and seeing the logo in Blade Runner or in the sequel meant nothing for me. That inclusion did not help them sell systems or make money (pull any company data you want) so I think you are over estimating its effects.

This isn't exactly a source but blade runner inspired the creation of the cyberpunk table top game right?  (Which later influenced the creation of cyberpunk 2077 set in the same universe)Well remember how in that fictional universe the largest gaming company in the world was Segotari (literally Sega and Atari merged together ), that's just one example of how that neon sign had an impact on culture in general.

6 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Atari was effectively DEAD soon after Blade Runner, along with Bell Atlantic, Koss, Pan Am, RCA, and Cuisinart. Blade Runner itself was a box office flop, only gaining cult popularity long after its original theatrical release. 

https://www.aei.org/articles/the-blade-runner-curse-and-the-overestimation-of-corporate-might/#:~:text=Koss and Cuisinart went bankrupt,with the New Coke debacle.&text=Hence the Blade Runner curse.

This actually fit's perfectly with what I've been saying, synthwave in nostalgia for the future that never was, and in that future Atari never stopped being a giant mega corp just as we see in blade runner, see it all fits together like a glove .

Just now, JPF997 said:

This isn't exactly a source but blade runner inspired the creation of the cyberpunk table top right? Well remember how in that game the largest gaming company in the world was Segotari (literally Sega and Atari merged together ), that's just one example of how that neon sign had an impact on culture in general.

Damn straight that isn't exactly a source.  That game isn't reality.  What actual culture, not a fictional in-game culture, was impacted by that neon sign in "Blade Runner"?  Please back up one of your grandiose overreaching statements with some facts this time.  And I don't mean the rules books from the RPG (which I played long ago and never referenced Atari).

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, JPF997 said:

This actually fit's perfectly with what I've been saying, synthwave in nostalgia for the future that never was, and in that future Atari never stopped being a giant mega corp just as we see in blade runner, see it all fits together like a glove .

And the sequel to Blade Runner flopped too, despite the efforts of Chesnais Atari declaring “we’re a lifestyle brand now! So much more than video games.”

No offense intended, but does your username indicate that you were born in 1997? 

Anyways I've just noticed how we've all gone massively off topic in regards to the original subject 😂, so huh does anyone actually have anything to say about the recharged games, do you like the gameplay, music, mechanics etc , and how to you think they stack up to the originals 🤔

3 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

And the sequel to Blade Runner flopped too, despite the efforts of Chesnais Atari declaring “we’re a lifestyle brand now! So much more than video games.”

No offense intended, but does your username indicate that you were born in 1997? 

Yes indeed it does , I think that's a pretty obvious thing to deduce given that the first thing I did when I joined Atari age was state publicly that I was primarily a fan of modern Atari, going back to the days of my childhood when I played games like dragon ball Budokai, Enter the Matrix, Superman shadow of the apokolips etc.

34 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

Yes indeed it does , I think that's a pretty obvious thing to deduce given that the first thing I did when I joined Atari age was state publicly that I was primarily a fan of modern Atari, going back to the days of my childhood when I played games like dragon ball Budokai, Enter the Matrix, Superman shadow of the apokolips etc.

Oh that makes sense. The first thing I remember you publicly stating when joining was calling us all “cocksuckers” or groomers.  Well, being a 20 year old fan of modern Atari explains why you both hate Pat and think an Atari forum is s good place to round up an army I suppose. 

Honestly what with the aggression and the weird “I don’t know how forums work” I was assuming you were in your 60s on a tablet for the first time.

Edited by jerseystyle
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Oh that makes sense. The first thing I remember you publicly stating when joining was calling us all “cocksuckers” or groomers.  Well, being a 20 year old fan of modern Atari explains why you both hate Pat and think an Atari forum is s good place to round up an army I suppose. 

Honestly what with the aggression and the weird “I don’t know how forums work” I was assuming you were in your 60s on a tablet for the first time.

I never called anyone on this forum a groomer, if your referring to me calling EvilLore the owner of Neo Gaf a groomer I sujest looking into his backstory if you have the time ( like I did after I was banned from that trash pit ), the allegations against him are very serious, infact it led to a massive exodus of users who then created another site that was somehow even worse, resetera (probably the worst site on the entire internet, never gonna join that hellhole in a million year's), and once again we've gone off topic 😩

1 hour ago, ledzep said:

Damn straight that isn't exactly a source.  That game isn't reality.  What actual culture, not a fictional in-game culture, was impacted by that neon sign in "Blade Runner"?  Please back up one of your grandiose overreaching statements with some facts this time.  And I don't mean the rules books from the RPG (which I played long ago and never referenced Atari).

This is good read for anyone interested in knowing more about Atari in the cyberpunk universe.

https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Segotari

That's the thing though. Atari is a big deal in retro-futuristic fiction precisely because they were big in the 80s but are practically irrelevant now, and it's a similar deal with Sega, although they remain considerably more relevant than Atari.

If they wanted to predict what the games market would actually be like in 2077 they'd have called it Microtendo.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

This is good read for anyone interested in knowing more about Atari in the cyberpunk universe.

So, just like that, you give up trying to support your goofy theory that the Atari neon sign in "Blade Runner" changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after?  Who cares if Atari mattered in some RPG that's as fictional as "Blade Runner"?!  What does that have to do with actual Atari in reality?

Atari appears nowhere in Traveller (another sci-fi RPG) as far as I know, does that mean then that Atari doesn't exist or is forgotten by everyone in reality?  I don't think it was a major influence in Gamma World, either.

47 minutes ago, JPF997 said:

I no longer have any idea what your point is with this.  I just don’t see why a video game having something called Segtari has anything to do with how Atari has been viewed since the 80s, or is evidence for what you’re saying. If anything, it’s just a nod to two “dead” gaming companies.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ledzep said:

Hahaha, wow.  I will admit, the first 15 seconds I wanted to turn it off but it seemed to get better as it went along?  I'm not saying I would want to listen to more of it but it sure sounds '80s to me.

I was terrified at Golden Shower!  What's next?  A lemon party?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, ledzep said:

For all you know future Atari sells frozen snacks.

Or fumes.

9 hours ago, JPF997 said:

Some people might scoff at this but that neon sign of the Atari logo in the original Blade runner changed the way that people viewed Atari forever after, it ended up inspiring the company itself , you see this especially during the blade runner 2049 collaboration, getting the Fuji logo to appear once more for the sequel was a moment of great pride for both the producers of the film and Atari itself.

You do realize that what people (especially actors) say in movie featurettes is bullshit, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Looks intriguing, love the Nagel influence. I never heard of this show, probably due to putting up an antenna and cutting the cord back in 2013. Based on this review, and my love of Archer, I'll be checking it out tonight.

Found it on iTunes, the episodes are downloading:

ScreenShot2023-09-21at5_02_36PM.thumb.png.61a488534df70624e0aff7ffe0d1a4b4.png

Personally,  I Loved Moonbeam City!  I thought it was a brilliant follow up to South Park;  Most of the shows they tried afterwards were pretty bad.  Much like with Futurama,  I believe Comedy Central had no vision,  and never gave Moonbeam City a chance...However, it's funny in hindsight,  all you can find on the internet is Comedy Central saying it never found its audience (or whatever) the truth is they feared backlash from a Rob Lowe Tweet.

I know,  I know,  an offensive Rob Lowe tweet?  Gonna have to be more specific.  Well, it followed a Paris terror attack...That's the real reason the show got cancelled. (Ummm Allegedly... IMO,  Haa!)...

If I remember correctly, they played the final 2 episodes after midnight for their first run!  (And never brought it back).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ledzep said:

Some just happen to have black backgrounds (Sprint), dude, that doesn't mean "space".

The black backgrounds got so out of control that Atari allegedly instituted a policy that only space games can have black backgrounds.   That's one of the things that screwed up 2600 Pac-man

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

Not quite at the same level as Archer, but I enjoyed the first episode.

Looks like the first episode is available for streaming without having to login at Comedy Central.

I agree!  But few shows are up there with Archer!  (In my mind Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, and Rick and Morty and that might be it!)...But Moonbeam City was more like an alt-world Futuristic Miami Vice crossed with MacGruber.  It was silly,  but quite fun and niftily stylized...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I agree!  But few shows are up there with Archer!  (In my mind Family Guy, South Park, Futurama, and Rick and Morty and that might be it!)...But Moonbeam City was more like an alt-world Futuristic Miami Vice crossed with MacGruber.  It was silly,  but quite fun and niftily stylized...

I watched that first episode.  It's not bad, but I can see why it didn't last long.  It's very generic in its approach, meaning it's "like" Archer and "like" the '80s but in the future and "like" funny.  There's nothing about it, more about what it's like.  They could have tried harder, pushed the adult elements a bit more.  The '80s jabs weren't "jabby" enough, if that makes sense.  I disagree with the critics who wrote that it should have been more of a direct "Miami Vice" parody, I don't think that would have helped much except to draw in a few dozen Vice fans who wished that show was more like "Archer".  I think the Nagel character design worked well, better than I expected.  If anything it's like the synthwave of animated adult sitcoms.

I don't get why animated shows will brag about the "big names" who are doing the voice acting.  I know who the 2 actresses are who were doing the 2 main female characters, I like both of them as actresses, but any women could have done those voices and nothing would have changed.  I could barely remember that Rob Lowe was also talking because that didn't really register, either.  It doesn't matter unless you have someone like Robin Williams doing a frantic genie, and how rare is that level of voice acting?  It felt like an attempt to get more interest in the show because they knew the show wasn't that great on its own.

36 minutes ago, ledzep said:

I don't get why animated shows will brag about the "big names" who are doing the voice acting.  I know who the 2 actresses are who were doing the 2 main female characters, I like both of them as actresses, but any women could have done those voices and nothing would have changed.  I could barely remember that Rob Lowe was also talking because that didn't really register, either.  It doesn't matter unless you have someone like Robin Williams doing a frantic genie, and how rare is that level of voice acting?  It felt like an attempt to get more interest in the show because they knew the show wasn't that great on its own.

That’s the main reason why the shows hype the big names attached to it.