IGNORED

The 2600+ Game Compatability Thread

82-T/A

Atari 7800 Games that worked for me (NTSC)

ASTEROIDS
BALLBLAZER
BARNYARD BLASTER
CENTIPEDE
CHOPLIFTER!
DARK CHAMBERS
DESERT FALCON
DIG DUG
DONKEY KONG
DONKEY KONG JUNIOR
GALAGA
HAT TRICK
JINKS
JOUST
KARATEKA
MARIO BROS.
MELTDOWN
MIDNIGHT MUTANTS 
MRS PACMAN
NINJA GOLF
ONE-ON-ONE
POLE POSITION II
REALSPORTS BASEBALL
ROBOTRON 2084
SCRAPYARD DOG
TITLEMATCH Pro Wrestling
TOUCHDOWN FOOTBALL
TOWER TOPPLER
WINTER GAMES
XEVIOUS

I used the Retro NES style controller for the 2nd button support and seems to work fine. I will find my 7800 Pro Controller to test but I have heard it doesn't work. Will Atari make a dedicated 7800 Pro Controller joystick? 

Marauder

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Marauder_64 said:

Atari 7800 Games that worked for me (NTSC)

ASTEROIDS
BALLBLAZER
BARNYARD BLASTER
CENTIPEDE
CHOPLIFTER!
DARK CHAMBERS
DESERT FALCON
DIG DUG
DONKEY KONG
DONKEY KONG JUNIOR
GALAGA
HAT TRICK
JINKS
JOUST
KARATEKA
MARIO BROS.
MELTDOWN
MIDNIGHT MUTANTS 
MRS PACMAN
NINJA GOLF
ONE-ON-ONE
POLE POSITION II
REALSPORTS BASEBALL
ROBOTRON 2084
SCRAPYARD DOG
TITLEMATCH Pro Wrestling
TOUCHDOWN FOOTBALL
TOWER TOPPLER
WINTER GAMES
XEVIOUS

I used the Retro NES style controller for the 2nd button support and seems to work fine. I will find my 7800 Pro Controller to test but I have heard it doesn't work. Will Atari make a dedicated 7800 Pro Controller joystick? 

Marauder

You have an absolutely drool worthy list of games there. It's great to know they all run.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 6:18 PM, Gamma Ray said:

No, it's not normal. I have played the cart on my childhood 7800, and it's fine there. So I'm not the only one. I spent a pretty penny to get it from ebay since I didn't know about it when it first came out, so I hope it gets fixed on the 2600+'s firmware end soon.

And, you know, that it doesn't get fried.

I did some more testing with the Atari released Yars' Return today and there is definitely something wrong.  I tried it in my original system and it played correctly.  I let it run for two hours and there was no heat on the cartridge.  I then put it in the 2600+ and had the same issues as before with only half the field working and overheating in under 20 minutes. 

I also had an old cart from a 2005 version that is a flickering nightmare, but it worked correctly in the original unit and 2600+.  I left it in the plus for about an hour and there was no heating issue.  It seems like some kind of load issue that is causing constant hits on the most recent cartridge and resulting in the game chip(s) heating up.

34 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I then put it in the 2600+ and had the same issues as before with only half the field working and overheating in under 20 minutes.

That's crazy.  I'd love to hear ideas from the experts in here as to what would be causing the heat.

Does anyone else have a Yars' Return they can try out?  (Not to be confused with Yars' Revenge that we all have.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chad5200 said:

That's crazy.  I'd love to hear ideas from the experts in here as to what would be causing the heat.

Does anyone else have a Yars' Return they can try out?  (Not to be confused with Yars' Revenge that we all have.)

I first tried Yars Return in my 7800 where it worked fine. I then placed it in my 2600+ where game wise it played just as @Atari_Warlord described except I noticed no overheating of the cart. I have family in so I only had the cart in for about twelve minutes, but I still noticed no warming. Perhaps after my family leaves tomorrow I can recheck it for a longer period of time and see if it overheats. I can, however, definitely confirm that YR game play currently does not work properly in the 2600+.

I got a copy of Adventures of Tron and came across an issue.  I saw on the list it got a pass but the issue is it boots up but doesn’t get past the title screen that is supposed to go away once you push the button. This is an M Network game and I remember they are trying to iron out compatibility issues with M Network games. My only other M Network cartridge I have is Kool-Aid Man and that plays just fine. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OscarGungan said:

I got a copy of Adventures of Tron and came across an issue.  I saw on the list it got a pass but the issue is it boots up but doesn’t get past the title screen that is supposed to go away once you push the button. This is an M Network game and I remember they are trying to iron out compatibility issues with M Network games. My only other M Network cartridge I have is Kool-Aid Man and that plays just fine. 

Interesting.  My Adventures of Tron is playing fine.

20 minutes ago, OscarGungan said:

Hmmm. I wonder what would keep mine from getting past the title screen. 
update:  it works now. I thought the fire button gets it past the the title screen but it was moving the stick that did. 

Dark Cavern, also from M Network, is the only game I own that starts out on the main game screen and just starts playing when you move the stick. I never owned any of their other titles so I wonder if that’s just what they did generally?

On 12/11/2023 at 3:26 PM, Atari_Warlord said:

Round 3 of testing.  No special controllers tested like driving, keypad, trackball, or quadtari's since they reportedly don't work yet.

There was one game that wouldn't work on any system, which kind of gutted me, since it was part of my original collection:

Sky Jinks (If I don't have a duplicate somewhere, I'll need to replace this)

Games that worked on original hardware but not the 2600+:

Qyx

Grizzards

Gorf Arcade

RubyQ

Scramble (Champ Games)

Panic! Rooms

Dare Devil

Robot Tank (Rolling Screen)

Smurfs Save the Day

Omega Race

Pitfall II

Stratovox

Draconian

Mappy

Zoo Keeper

Venture Reloaded (kind of loads, but won't start and emits a high pitched noise)

Deepstone Catacomb

Games that worked on 2600+ after cleaning:

Sea Hawk (Panda)

Sky Skipper

Sneak 'n Peek

Oink!

Picnic

Games that worked:

Oozy the Goo - Slime Quest

Raptor

Blocks

Vroom!

L.E.M.

End

Robot City

Ninjish Guy in a low res world

Roc 'N Rope

Rubik's Cube

SCSIcide

Sea Battle

Sea Hawk (Froggo)

Sea Hunt

Seaquest

Secret Quest

Sentinel

Shark Attack

Shootin' Gallery

Shuttle Orbiter

Skate Boardin'

Skeet Shoot

Skiing

Sky Diver

Slot Machine

Slot Racers

Slots

Smurf Rescue in Garamol's Castle

Snoopy's Red Barron

Okie Dokie

Oscar's Trash Race

Othello

Outer Space

Outlaw

Oystron

Pac-Man

A Better Pac-Man

Pele's Soccer

Pesco

Pete Rose Baseball

Phoenix

Piece O' Cake

Pigs in Space

Pinball

Pitfall!

Planet Patrol

Plaque Attack

Poker Plus

Polaris

Pole Position

Pong Sports

Ralph Lauren Polo

Aquaventure

Saboteur

Yars' Return

Haunted House - Light Up Edition (I should have bought all of these when I had the chance)

Crystal Castles - Light Up Edition

Adventure - Light Up Edition

Missile Command - Light Up Edition

Orbital War

Space Game

Dungeon II - Solstice

Cannonhead Clash

Avalanche (at least one Champ Games cart works currently)

Vroom! worked on your 2600+ ?    It fires up on mine, but the paddle button is not recognized to "log in" a car.  The game runs all AI cars, but you cannot activate a car to race.  Game works as it should on my old 2600 with the same paddles.

21 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

I first tried Yars Return in my 7800 where it worked fine. I then placed it in my 2600+ where game wise it played just as @Atari_Warlord described except I noticed no overheating of the cart. I have family in so I only had the cart in for about twelve minutes, but I still noticed no warming. Perhaps after my family leaves tomorrow I can recheck it for a longer period of time and see if it overheats. I can, however, definitely confirm that YR game play currently does not work properly in the 2600+.

Kids left; so I finally booted Yars Return back up on the 2600+ and the cart remained cool even after 35 minutes of operation. Gameplay was still funky, but no overheating. I wouldn't even have described the cart as warm. So either Atari_Warlord has an odd cart or perhaps if the console was warm it was conducting heat up into the cart somehow. I really have no idea. I can only speak to my own experience.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:01 PM, Marauder_64 said:

You can just buy a third party one, there are several good options. But supposedly yes. 

Edited by tradyblix

12 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

You can just buy a third party one, there are several good options. But supposedly yes. 

Any you would recommend?  I've got a Mega 7800 adapter and like using Genesis controllers, but I'm always on the lookout for good controllers. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Marauder_64 said:

Thanks, I will check on what is available 3rd party.

I ended up buying one of the Retrogameboyz controllers. It works well on the 7800 and 2600+.   
It came with a stubby joystick and some extra parts.

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/copy-of-atari-7800-controller-2600-joystick-control-pad-gamepad-rainbow?variant=39309806665783

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Thran said:

I ended up buying one of the Retrogameboyz controllers. It works well on the 7800 and 2600+.   

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/copy-of-atari-7800-controller-2600-joystick-control-pad-gamepad-rainbow?variant=39309806665783

Hey they do a Robotron game pad as well! I had been on the fence about 7800 Robotron and wasn’t keen on spending over 200 quid to import a dual stick controller, but theirs looks pretty sweet with the game logo and all!

Edited by Sean_1970

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

Hey they do a Robotron game pad as well! I had been on the fence about 7800 Robotron and wasn’t keen on spending over 200 quid to import a dual stick controller, but theirs looks pretty sweet with the game logo

So I just ordered one of these. Hopefully by the time it arrives I’ll have a copy of the game 😅

I’ll have to inquire about the possibility of a USB adapter. I currently have a PS4 controller paired with my Mac for MAME sessions, but this could be fun.

9 hours ago, Thran said:

I have the same controller.  I like the thumbstick attachment.  

On 12/30/2023 at 6:58 PM, Aragorn7 said:

Kids left; so I finally booted Yars Return back up on the 2600+ and the cart remained cool even after 35 minutes of operation. Gameplay was still funky, but no overheating. I wouldn't even have described the cart as warm. So either Atari_Warlord has an odd cart or perhaps if the console was warm it was conducting heat up into the cart somehow. I really have no idea. I can only speak to my own experience.

What's that? The third person who confirmed the Yars Return 2022 cart to have gameplay issues on the 2600+?

19 minutes ago, Gamma Ray said:

Yeah, good on you! So it's not just me with my cart and my 2600+. I'm looking forward to it getting fixed in an update.

I've been tempted to download the Beta firmware, but I may just wait until it comes out of Beta rather than introduce some new quirks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

I've been tempted to download the Beta firmware, but I may just wait until it comes out of Beta rather than introduce some new quirks.

Yeah even if I had access to a Windows machine that could do the install I’d hold off. Only one PAL 7800 game en route to me and it doesn’t sound like any of my non-working/playable games are getting fixed by the update so it wouldn’t benefit me in its current state.

• Like 2