IGNORED

The 2600+ Game Compatability Thread

82-T/A

I didn't see one that really addressed "just" this... on whether or not a game was compatible or not, so I apologize if one already exists, but figured we could start one and help Atari add to their list.

Note, I have 200+ Atari 2600 games, a lot of weird and rare ones, so I plan to bust those out in January and hook up an old 2600 next to a CRT and test them side by side with my 2600+.

Just tested a few games, and these didn't work.

FAILSAFE - Atari 7800 Homebrew from AtariAge Store (never used before, first time tested)

ROBOT TANK (Activision) - Game Failed to Load

STAMPEDE (Activision) - Game Failed to Load

COMMANDO RIAD (US Games) - Game Failed to Load

... for the last three, it's possible that the games are just dirty... so I'll try to clean them later (just bought these at a second hand store). I'll bust out my set of games this weekend and start testing them.

I received copies of Gorf from CBS and Gyruss today. Work fine in 2600+, although I thought I saw a disappearing enemy in gorf.  though maybe that's just how the cart always was. who knows.

They're both great and Gyruss in particular is incredible. I can't believe I never knew about this port. so glad I finally got a chance to play it and it looks great. and especially it sounds great. And even more - these games are kind of endlessly replayable and enjoyable on the 2600 which is something that not every 2600 game can say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I didn't see one that really addressed "just" this... on whether or not a game was compatible or not, so I apologize if one already exists, but figured we could start one and help Atari add to their list.

Note, I have 200+ Atari 2600 games, a lot of weird and rare ones, so I plan to bust those out in January and hook up an old 2600 next to a CRT and test them side by side with my 2600+.

FAILSAFE - Atari 7800 Homebrew from AtariAge Store (never used before, first time tested)

... for the last three, it's possible that the games are just dirty... so I'll try to clean them later (just bought these at a second hand store). I'll bust out my set of games this weekend and start testing them.

I read on here that somebody else reported that failsafe worked. so I don't know... I assume you tried though

Edited by tradyblix

2 hours ago, PowerDubs said:

Considering I've gotten a lot of games that were completely clean to work that couldn't load originally several times just from adjusting the way that I inserted them in the cart, there is more than just dirtiness going on or contact problems. there is definitely some wonkiness around the 2600 plus load cycle and certain games. especially games that do not have normal cartridges.

Could still be oxidation that is preventing correct connections maybe.... but I would expect that to be visible on the cart. and there are carts that can't load right unless they're very gingerly and carefully inserted, that look pristine.

Edited by tradyblix

3 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Considering I've gotten a lot of games that were completely clean to work that couldn't load originally several times just from adjusting the way that I inserted them in the cart, there is more than just dirtiness going on or contact problems. there is definitely some wonkiness around the 2600 plus load cycle and certain games. especially games that do not have normal cartridges.

Could still be oxidation that is preventing correct connections maybe.... but I would expect that to be visible on the cart. and there are carts that can't load right unless they're very gingerly and carefully inserted, that look pristine.

From the reports here, it sounds like the 2600+ has a 'gentler' cart slot, with less tension in the contacts than previous consoles.  If this is true, it would mean a higher resistance connection to the cart, and less 'self cleaning' action from the contacts in the slot's edge connector when the cartridge is inserted as well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

My Commando Raid and Stampede both work fine (both NTSC) but my Robot Tank does not (also NTSC)

• Like 1

I'm starting to get several Activision titles, many with the "thin" boards.  They all work and are clean, but it's just a matter of which time you insert them that they load.  One or two even need to be carefully pulled back or tilted slightly to make good pin contact.  Sometimes they seem to improve after a few days, but I can't explain why?  And a few of them seemingly have no problems at all.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, etschuetz said:

the keypad is also not recognized by Windows using db9 to usb adapters.

Works fine here.

Are you pushing “0” on the keypad within 3 seconds of connecting to the adapter?  This is required to detect the keypad in autodetect mode.

EDIT:
This is assuming you are using a 2600daptor D9 adapter

Edited by Jstick

6 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I'm starting to get several Activision titles, many with the "thin" boards.  They all work and are clean, but it's just a matter of which time you insert them that they load.  One or two even need to be carefully pulled back or tilted slightly to make good pin contact.  Sometimes they seem to improve after a few days, but I can't explain why?  And a few of them seemingly have no problems at all.

My experience as well; likely I need to do some cleaning, but I’m content to re-seat the carts multiple times if need be - gives me a feel for the old days 😂

Just purchased my first PAL cart on eBay- mint-looking Wizard of Wor which I remember loving back in the day as a decent arcade port. Hopefully the PAL version plays as well as my original US cart did!

On 12/4/2023 at 9:52 PM, tradyblix said:

I have a copy of chopper command that was cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and didn't appear to have anything on the contacts but it wouldn't load. I used Deoxit on it and really scrubbed the contacts. The Q-tip was left slightly grey I'm assuming this is oxidation. After cleaning it like this I was able to get the cart to load. This was my worst one but I had other carts in a similar situation.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 7:05 PM, Brad_from_the_80s said:

"Carefully pulled back or tilted slightly"... that is something I experienced quite often with Activision carts.

And... once it works, switch off or shut down the power and they fail in the very same position next time... so I have to move them again. You develop magic hands over time 😉

The 7800 cards fit better, can't be moved and once they work, they work😊

• Like 1

I could not use Asteroids 7800 - Failed Loading. 

Ms. Pac Man (Prosystem) gives me only some strange screen. 
I tried to clean the carts several times, but it did not help. 

I have also noticed that loading 7800 cartridge sometimes requires restarting 2600+. 
Desert Falcon, Donkey Kong 7800, Xevious (Prosystem), Galaga work. 

I have two Robot Tank carts that work in my 7800, but also will not work in my 2600+. There is a difference in that for mine the 2600+ does not say "Fail to load". Both of my Robot Tanks look like they tried to load, but I get a fairly fast vertical rotation of red and blue images, much like on old 8mm film projector that is misfed or perhaps like a on old VHS tape with the tracking severely off. I'm certain this can be fixed in a future update.

1 hour ago, Aragorn7 said:

I have two Robot Tank carts that work in my 7800, but also will not work in my 2600+. There is a difference in that for mine the 2600+ does not say "Fail to load". Both of my Robot Tanks look like they tried to load, but I get a fairly fast vertical rotation of red and blue images, much like on old 8mm film projector that is misfed or perhaps like a on old VHS tape with the tracking severely off. I'm certain this can be fixed in a future update.

Mentioned here:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

I could not use Asteroids 7800 - Failed Loading. 

Ms. Pac Man (Prosystem) gives me only some strange screen. 
I tried to clean the carts several times, but it did not help. 

I have also noticed that loading 7800 cartridge sometimes requires restarting 2600+. 
Desert Falcon, Donkey Kong 7800, Xevious (Prosystem), Galaga work. 

Yup. If you go from 2600 to 7800 it's just best to recycle power. You can get away with hotswapping between 2600 carts most of the time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

My 7800 would roll the screen on Robot Tank until I took out capacitor c64 to disable the timing circuit.  I wonder if the emulator is trying to run it in 7800 mode instead of 2600 mode.

20 minutes ago, Thran said:

My 7800 would roll the screen on Robot Tank until I took out capacitor c64 to disable the timing circuit.  I wonder if the emulator is trying to run it in 7800 mode instead of 2600 mode.

That's a very good question, but my 7800s will both run Robot Tank, but considering the different hardware Atari used internally on their 7800s, your query is definitely plausible. I also wander if there is a difference between certain PAL and NTSC carts or if bank switching is somehow different on Robot Tank. Regardless, I'm confident that we'll eventually get this resolved.

Edited by Aragorn7