IGNORED

The 2600+ Game Compatability Thread

82-T/A

1 hour ago, Thran said:

My 7800 would roll the screen on Robot Tank until I took out capacitor c64 to disable the timing circuit.  I wonder if the emulator is trying to run it in 7800 mode instead of 2600 mode.

Nope.

The "Kludge" circuit with c64 was used to make the 2600 version of Dark Chambers compatible on the 7800, but broke Robot Tank and Space Shuttle in the process. But when they would roll, you would see the full composed start screen of each game. Game data was being read from the correct bank, but the timing circuit effected the scanlines count/horizontal hold.

With he 2600+ the emulator is reading from the wrong bank, which is why you see the wrong graphics and it rolls. I loaded the alternate version of Robot Tank that is F8 instead of FE on my HArmony wiht the updated banking files, and it works just fine.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ls650 said:

I believe that every NTSC Activision cart runs except Robot Tank (and Pitfall II). 

Enduro runs just fine on my Plus.

Clean, clean, clean the contacts.

Ok, so in this case... I wasn't mistaken when my Robot Tank cart wasn't working? It's actually an incompatibility issue?

4 minutes ago, Aragorn7 said:

Yes, Atari will have to tweak the emulator through a firmware update. 

There's a similar thread going on right now in the Game Station Pro section of AtariAge. A new update just came out... and while it leverages the MicroSD card slot... I suspect the update process will largely be similar (except from a USB-C).

I think they both use the same emulator? Or am I wrong here?

On 12/5/2023 at 5:25 PM, Jstick said:

Works fine here.

Are you pushing “0” on the keypad within 3 seconds of connecting to the adapter?  This is required to detect the keypad in autodetect mode.

EDIT:
This is assuming you are using a 2600daptor D9 adapter

No, not that particular cart. The one I am using is actually designed for Genesis controllers to plug to PC via USB. Nothing to special with it. However, I am not intrigued with the holding "0". However, this still doesn't help with the Atari 2600+ regarding emulation...unless you meant that it works on it as well.

1 hour ago, 82-T/A said:

There's a similar thread going on right now in the Game Station Pro section of AtariAge. A new update just came out... and while it leverages the MicroSD card slot... I suspect the update process will largely be similar (except from a USB-C).

I think they both use the same emulator? Or am I wrong here?

I'm unclear on what emulators the Gamestation Pro is actually using as it is emulating not only 2600/5200/7800 game titles but also Sega & NES.

For those who haven't seen this, we've identified that Coleco carts with a later, 'rev 3' board style in this thread are not currently working, hence a lot of the confusion with coleco games working for some folks and not for others. So far, no coleco cart with that style board seems to be working (I've tested four in my collection). Ben from Plaion is now aware of the issue. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

My Ms. Pac Man for Atari 7800 is loading in a weird way. It reacts to Reset Switch, I can hear sounds, but the screen is garbled. I have cleaned contacts already two times. Is this 2600+ or my cartridge?

I do have a working ntsc copy of Ms Pac-Man for 7800 in case that helps. I know that currently there are issues with some carts on pal 7800 where they don't load right but sometimes you just need to reinsert the cart. several times. that's worth trying.

Edited by tradyblix

7 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I have the exact same issue with my PAL cart of Ms Pacman 7800

IMG_20231129_203156.jpg

Good to know. Hopefully it will be solved with the upcoming update. I really would like to play this one. 
Browsing EBay I see that now 7800 carts are rare in Europe and rather expensive. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Perceval70 said:

I've been unable to get Tac Scan to run. It starts up and looks good but I can't seem to start a game. It runs off of the Paddles plugged into the right controller port. Game loads but then doesn't respond to any input.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Confirmed.  Exact same problem here with my Tac-Scan.  Game loads but will not play.

My guess is the emulator needs to be told to use the paddles in the RIGHT port but is not happening.  Also, the game manual claims that it's OK to have the Joystick remain plugged into the LEFT port and should not interfere.  I have tried loading the game on the 2600+ with and without Joystick in LEFT port just to see if that made any difference, also tried paddles in both the LEFT and RIGHT port upon power on... but no luck.

Manual for reference:

IMG_2497.thumb.jpg.d02eb86f1da980ba768a93c17d721c24.jpg

@Ben from Plaion please note this issue.  Probably an easy fix.

39 minutes ago, Perceval70 said:

I've been unable to get Tac Scan to run. It starts up and looks good but I can't seem to start a game. It runs off of the Paddles plugged into the right controller port. Game loads but then doesn't respond to any input.

Yes. I, too, just checked and can confirm this as well. 

2 hours ago, Perceval70 said:

Same here. That's the problem that brought me to this thread.

Received my pre-order from Atari.com yesterday.  I love it so far and hope the firmware updates come soon.  I pulled out a bunch of carts today and started testing.  I had a Sears Telegames 6 switcher also set up to test any carts that didn't work on the 2600+.  I don't have a 7800 out at the moment and since they are homebrews I didn't expect them to work with the factory firmware.  I'm using a OLED television with any filtering turned off to reduce possible lag.

7800 games I tried that didn't work:

KC Munchkin

Astro Blaster

Bob Decrescenzo Collection

There were 2 games that wouldn't work on the 2600+ or the Original unit.  I vaguely remember this might be an issue with my Telegames model, so need to find a different unit to test these on.

The Byte before Christmas

Stay Frosty 2

Games that did not work on the 2600+ but did on original hardware, I think most of these are already known.

Robotwar

Load Runner

Evil Magician II

Millipede Track Ball (the garbled screen shot is below) (TB not tested as known to not work currently)

The Pursuit of the Pink Panther

Games that required cleaning to work on both units:

King Kong

Stone Age

Games that worked on original hardware but needed cleaning to work on the 2600+

Laser Volley

Lost Luggage

H.E.R.O. (didn't see any issues that others have reported)

Scuba Diver

Atlantis - Cromax

Imagic (Brazilian multi cart) Pac-Man / River Raid / Pitfall / Space Invaders

Games that worked:

10 in 1 cartridge (I also tested these new carts on the Telegames with the new controllers, and they all worked)

4 in 1 paddle games

Berzerk Enhanced (I still can't figure out what the robot says when I die?)

Mr. Run and Jump

A roach in Space

Hunger Shark

Joust

Journey Escape (Had the distorted sound that others have reported)

Jr Pac Man

Jungle Hunt

Kaboom!

Kabul!

Kamikaze Saucers

Kangaroo

Karate (This one was very finicky on how the cart had to be seated)

Keystone Kapers

Krull

Kung-Fu Master

Kung Fu Superkicks

Laser Blast

Laser Gates

London Blitz

M.A.D.

Mash

Mario Bros

Master Builder

Math Gran Prix

Maze

Maze Craze

Maze Mania

Rocket Pod

Star Wars Arcade Track Ball Edition (TB not tested as known to not work currently)

Flappy

Omincron

Pinata

Tank Brigade

Worm War I

Galaxian Arcade

Atari Video Cube

Freeway

Pengo

Dare Diver

Math

Dishaster

Jawbraker

Wall Ball

Dice Puzzle

Marble Craze

Laser Gates

Name this Game

Star Wars the Arcade Game

Crazy Climber

BMX Air Master

Mr. Do!

Bobby is going home

Road Duel

This somewhat random selection of games comes out to a compatibility ratio of 90% on the 2600 side.  I'll keep plugging away

PXL_20231210_162835907.MP.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/7/2023 at 7:20 PM, tripled79 said:

My Enduro cart wouldn't work. Has anyone had success with this game on 2600+?

Surprisingly, Kung Fu Master worked on the 2600+ but not on my Retron77.

I got one on eBay that didn’t work at first but after cleaning it with alcohol wipes it works without failure. 

5 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Berzerk Enhanced (I still can't figure out what the robot says when I die?)

If you wipe out all robots in a room: "Humanoid must not escape."

If you get killed, "Got the intruder, got the chicken."  (I think)

If you leave a room with a robot still alive, ??? really not sure.

Day two of testing.  I should have mentioned in the first post that all games are NTSC unless indicated otherwise.

Games that didn't work on the 2600+, but did on original hardware:

Dragon's Descent (Screen was Garbled)

Wizard of Wor (Champ Games)

Tyre Trax

Galagon

Aardvark (Screen was Garbled)

RS Boxing

Revenge of the Beefsteak Tomatoes

Games that kind of worked but seemed to have issues on 2600+:

Landfill - Seemed to play fine, but did not hear any sounds

X3V0lux - The label indicated it worked with joysticks or paddles but neither option would work

Zaxxon - The sound had a lot of static.  Not sure if this is the way it was originally as my Telegames unit had the same sound

Games that required cleaning to work on the 2600+:

Riddle of the Sphinx

Tutankham

Word Zapper

Games that worked but were finicky on how to insert the cart on both units.  The only method that worked was to gently press in on the right side and then push the cart down from right to left.

Pressure Cooker

Private Eye

Games that worked.  Again I didn't test the trackball mode since it currently doesn't work.

Missile Command TB

Reactor TB

Nexar TB

Missile Control TB

Space Master X-7 TB

Monster Ball

The Shaman

Goblin Chaser

Alien Adventures

Failboat

Gyvolver

Amoeba Jump

Popeye

Porky's

Pressure Gauge

Q-bert

Qb

Quest

Quick Step

Race (Didn't test driving controllers as I think they currently don't work on the 2600+)

Racquetball

Radar Lock

Raft Rider

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Rampage

Reactor

RealSports Baseball

RealSports Football

RealSports Soccer

RealSports Tennis

RealSports Volleyball (If they do a compilation of these games, should update the rules to the current ones)

River Raid

River Raid II

Road Runner

Ms. Galactopus

Bomb on Pixel City

Balloon Trip

Centipede TB

Colony 7 TB

Sheep it Up

Plaque Attack TB

Three-5

Game Panic Immortal Edition

Dee Snider's Strangeland

Space Chase - Monogrammed

Trick Shot

Tunnel Runner

Turmoil

Vanguard

Venture

Venture II

Video Checkers

Video Chess

Video Olympics

Video Pinball

Video Simon

Video Time Machine

Wabbit

Wall Ball

Warlords

Warplock

Warring Worms

Winter Games

Wizard of Wor (remember to use the right joystick)

Worm War I

Xenophobe

Yahtzee

Yars' Revenge

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2