IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

10 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

As you can probably tell, I like shooting games, maze games, and shooting games that are set in mazes

🤣

Me too! 🤟🏻

Still awaiting Room of Doom here. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tradyblix said:

It's not the carts. I am beginning to think that making the cartridge slot wider was not maybe the best idea

I had this concern too when I heard they'd made the slot larger, the carts in the wild worked on the old consoles out there, why change something and potentially cause an issue? Hmmm, a change not required. 

10 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Thanks for sharing this site. My wallet doesn’t thank you…🤣 I have just purchased 9 games from them, I'll post pics when they arrive. For information, the postage cost on my order was £22, so they must scale up with weight/number of carts, understandable. 

You're welcome.  They have free shipping if you spend $25 or more.  I live in the US and spent enough to get the free shipping.  I know you're in another country and they can't do free shipping.  Yes, weight is part of it along with import fees/taxes.  But I'm glad I was able to help you in finding more games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Speaking of Imagic labels, I've had this one for a while.  I know these cheap blue labels were done by Activision to save costs on later re-releases, but not seen them for Imagic personally.  Since this is basically an Activision cart, I'm assuming this is a "post-crash" Activision release of an Imagic game after they acquired the library.

20240103_200128-Copy.thumb.jpg.fb541b031e6aa2a85bbe975f3caddb70.jpg

It's incredibly good timing that I came here and read your post, because I just ordered Pitfall with one of those labels and I was wondering what was up with the blue labels, thinking maybe it was an earlier release. So, later cheapo releases. Your copy of Moonsweeper totally says "Activision," even though it's by Imagic, because it's even got the Activision shape. Like you said, probably post crash.

36 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I actually got 2 lots of carts delivered today, and apart from Turmoil, they are all in 1 piece:

IMG_20240104_132304.thumb.jpg.d87b2bf1f6788fe176387961ad677641.jpg

It looks like you scored some great stuff in those lots. It's a shame what happened to Turmoil. I had that happen years ago with a NES cartridge (Robocop) that I ordered from some dude. I got a refund, but I had to order another cartridge because that one didn't work after being shattered. I hope your copy of Turmoil fares better.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Totally agree that the last two aren’t very good. Oddly enough, I too am missing Star Wars the Arcade. Not an easy one to find and pretty expensive whenever it appears on eBay.

On that one you have to be very careful they don't try to sell you a similar-looking ColecoVision or Atari 800 cart.  I've seen some of those versions listed as Atari 2600.  Either ignorance or just ripping people off.

2 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

These arrived today. I’m baffled by the cut-outs in the 7800 cart shell that allow for the label to be pressed in like this (my Donkey Kong cart also has these, but no damage to the label). I was concerned this was a waste until I could update the system, however re-reading the 7800 compatibility thread I see that PAL Mario Bros works so the silly money I paid for this (just over 50 quid 🙄😬🤪) will be “worth it” I’m sure 😅

I’ll try both out later today 😁👍

IMG_0310.jpeg

The cut-outs first appeared on the later mid-80s Atari 2600 (re-)releases, the "cheap" ones without the dust cover.  Why they even exist is baffling to me, although it may have something to do with the process to mold the insertion supports/guides.  But yeah, I totally hate those bleeping holes in the cart with the label sagging (or worse, punched) through.  Terrible design.

Interesting that although the late Atari XP and limited releases used the original dust cover design, the new Berzerk, Run and Jump and multi-cart stuff uses this later style cart, but WITHOUT the annoying holes at least.

• Like 1

I found a larger picture. It looks a lot like an Activision cartridge to me:

chess.thumb.jpg.e4791d67bf335ce8438a35c4b824bf28.jpg

That's just based on the shape, not the label. The label is conspicuously absent of branding beyond the Atari trademark. Maybe it was a post crash cheapo re-release.

On a different note, I ordered 4 Atari 2600 cartridges this morning. (I have a saved search on Ebay with 2600 and 7800 game listings) The last was a homebrew Godzilla game that I saw and had to have. Of the 4 games, that order was placed well after the others but I already got a shipping notification on it. So, the last one ordered is the first one with any activity. Don't you love it when that happens? 😂

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I found a larger picture. It looks a lot like an Activision cartridge to me:

chess.thumb.jpg.e4791d67bf335ce8438a35c4b824bf28.jpg

That's just based on the shape, not the label. The label is conspicuously absent of branding beyond the Atari trademark. Maybe it was a post crash cheapo re-release.

I don't know much about them, but I think that is one of those "bootlegs" from Taiwan or somewhere.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's cool.  Was it for 2600 or 7800?

2600. I'm a huge G fan, so I had to nab it before someone else got it. There were already 24 watchers on it when I ordered it. The label is gorgeous:

Godzilla2600.thumb.jpg.4ea11ce6a026b2fdc0b4103cfdc45c9b.jpg

The game play looks like it could be fun too:

s-l1600.thumb.png.089b5975abf3caea9492db0f4e8c88c7.png

I'm guessing that's Mothra up top? I don't know, I'll have to see when I get it. Though, angel Godzilla is the best:

s-l1601.thumb.png.4e262925dd955d07e3c69f3cc1419013.png

Anyway, it looks fun. 😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

I don't know much about them, but I think that is one of those "bootlegs" from Taiwan or somewhere.

Yeah, that makes sense. An Atari released game in an Activision cartridge mold with a very generic looking label. That's why I mentioned the conspicuous lack of branding, it doesn't look official. But, it's still cool.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

On that one you have to be very careful they don't try to sell you a similar-looking ColecoVision or Atari 800 cart.  I've seen some of those versions listed as Atari 2600.  Either ignorance or just ripping people off.

I think (hope) it’s ignorance. I have seen the same thing happen with copies of Activision’s Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space. Sellers actually selling 2600 carts, but their listings are for the 5200. 

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

I paid $30 shipping for 5 carts from the USA, and they put them in a flimsy pouch with almost no padding.....

Wow that sucks. It really did look like you hit it with a hammer though 😳😅

I’ve been pretty lucky so far with people doing some thorough packaging (Marauder was a bit OTT being bubble-wrapped and having shredded paper inside a box several times larger than necessary). Is bubble wrap too much to ask - especially with multiple carts?

6 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I think (hope) it’s ignorance. I have seen the same thing happen with copies of Activision’s Space Shuttle: A Journey into Space. Sellers actually selling 2600 carts, but their listings are for the 5200. 

I think it's ignorance. People don't know what it is and do a web search and assume it's a 2600 cartridge. This is the computer version:

SWArcade2600.thumb.png.443049c1574e7ce5a0f6138ef07a431f.png

I got that image from an Ebay listing. It's properly listed as a 400/800 computer cartridge, but it does look a lot like a 2600 cartridge. It looks like Parker Bros. needed to do a better job of putting what system it's for on the label.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I’ve been pretty lucky so far with people doing some thorough packaging (Marauder was a bit OTT being bubble-wrapped and having shredded paper inside a box several times larger than necessary). Is bubble wrap too much to ask - especially with multiple carts?

I'm not going to mention the name of the store, because I've asked them for a replacement or partial refund. If they refuse then I'll post a warning on here they they aren't be best people to order from!!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'm not going to mention the name of the store, because I've asked them for a replacement or partial refund. If they refuse then I'll post a warning on here they they aren't be best people to order from!!

Keep us posted! I'd hate to use them if they don't make it right. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I've had some fairly large boxes arrive with the cart in bubble wrap inside another piece of cardboard folded round it and taped up. 🤣 I appreciated it getting here safely though. Must have been the same seller I used a couple of times. 

• Like 1

Ebay is such a crap shoot when it comes to packaging. I've had a seller put a CD sandwiched between two pieces of thin cardboard inside a regular envelope. You know, the kind you send letters in. (guess how that went) I've had people treat cartridges the same, in a basic manila envelope with no inner padding. Literally the cheapest larger sized envelopes you can buy. However, I've had way more people do good packaging. Cartridges often come wrapped in bubble wrap inside of bubble wrap lined envelopes, either manila or poly. Same with CDs. Then I've had people do the bubble wrap inside of boxes, which is really nice. Then you know they care more about your item getting to you safely than others do. So, yeah, it all depends on the seller and what level of care they have.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I think it's ignorance. People don't know what it is and do a web search and assume it's a 2600 cartridge. This is the computer version:

SWArcade2600.thumb.png.443049c1574e7ce5a0f6138ef07a431f.png

I got that image from an Ebay listing. It's properly listed as a 400/800 computer cartridge, but it does look a lot like a 2600 cartridge. It looks like Parker Bros. needed to do a better job of putting what system it's for on the label.

Wow that does look like a 2600 cart, I’d be fooled by that!

On the mis-selling front I’ve seen Mario Bros for the 2600 advertised as 7800-compatible, but without stating it’s the 2600 version (though that’s clear from the label. Factually correct, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was trying to get an easy sale.

My copy of Solaris just turned up - same cart shell as 7800 Mario Bros with similar label damage. Honestly not sure why I bought this given I have it on at least two other comps - just fun using the original controls I guess 😅

Mario Bros is a decent port, but man that 7800 audio 😬

Threshold is a decent Megamania crossed with Demon Attack and tougher than it looks! Tigervision seems to like a stripped down look for their games 🤔

IMG_0311.jpeg

• Like 2

Most of my games are just carts, but I have bought a few boxed ones, some were sealed, some crushed and sealed 🤣. Not pictured here. I thought I'd share some nice silver boxes. 

IMG_20240104_155018.jpg

Ok, Karateka is a bit squashed, it wasn't sealed though. I think it's Battlezone and a couple of others I bought sealed, but as flat as a plate of piss. 🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Most of my games are just carts, but I have bought a few boxed ones, some were sealed, some crushed and sealed 🤣. Not pictured here. I thought I'd share some nice silver boxes. 

IMG_20240104_155018.jpg

The silver boxes are cool, but the original black boxes had something going on, like making you think you were about to experience something more transcendental than early 8-bit graphics 😂. Activision’s colourful ones with more true-to-game graphics were pretty neat. I don’t care if I have boxes, but when I’ve gotten them, it’s kinda special I must admit.

• Like 2

Here's some more.

Indy 500 is complete (I actually have three driving controllers in total), it wasn't bought that way though, pieced together. 

Dark Chambers is a little squashed but not too bad. There's the splattered Battlezone. 🤣

IMG_20240104_155607.jpg

• Like 3