IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, Sean_1970 said:

Got this after losing a Defender 2 auction. I’m one of those weirdos to whom having it called Stargate made this worthwhile despite the cart being damaged. Plays pretty good, though not as fast as Defender; possibly due to better visuals and more/varied enemies?

image.jpg

The 1987 Atari Corp. rerelease with manual, those are not easy to find. Although with Stargate, even the original 1984 Atari, Inc. releases are not exactly easy to find either.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

The 1987 Atari Corp. rerelease with manual, those are not easy to find. Although with Stargate, even the original 1984 Atari, Inc. releases are not exactly easy to find either.

Probably would have been worth more without the chunk taken out of the front (I suspect it was dropped on a hard surface at some point), but the label is mostly intact and it plays, which is the main thing 😊

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You can always replace the shell and get new labels. Yes, that probably makes them worthless as collectors items, but if you cared about that you'd have some NIB game in a plastic case that's been appraised and graded already, wouldn't you ?

For the loose carts I have that have labels in despicable condition (ie, disgustingly dirty, degraded, and falling off) I replace them. Otherwise i leave it if I can tolerate it.

Top games so far (playability, nostalgia factor):

Jr Pacman (why is it SO hard? lol. Compare this to Ms Pacman on the 7800's difficulty...),

Gyruss (oh, man love tube shooters, this one works, the sound alone is crazy for playability. gotta reach earth !) play it again sam

Spy Hunter (obssesed with this game in arcade even tho I was never good at it. Same here. you can have a bystander/onlooker "help" you by releasing oil slicks and smoke screens and it looks good (for 2600). Lots of fun. 

Demon Attack (yeah you may have played this too much, but it has the best shooter gameplay of all 2600 games. makes the same stage in Phoenix laughable by comparison) 

Jungle Hunt (this game is just fun) 

Dark Chambers 7800 (when I played this on rom, I'd be like "eh, lame gauntlet rip-off". Now, on cart - one of the best adventure games for atari 2600+)

Stargate (it's defender. it's proper defender. let's go.)

Ms. Pacman (either version). Must have for the atari 2600 and 7800. 2600 color scheme alone is worth it lol)  

Edited by tradyblix
formatting for readability
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Got this after losing a Defender 2 auction. I’m one of those weirdos to whom having it called Stargate made this worthwhile despite the cart being damaged. Plays pretty good, though not as fast as Defender; possibly due to better visuals and more/varied enemies?

image.jpg

Oh man, yeah I got a "Stargate" too, love that.

Today's acquires are a bit LOL, but I do love some Fishing Derby.

20231230_173525-Copy.thumb.jpg.889f7b68a13f5b317e9b2716ab3e3bac.jpg

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Fishing Derby is one of the first Atari games I played in a shop in West Roger’s Park that had a load of VCSes on display. At age 9 or 10 I thought it was amazing 😂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Fishing Derby is surprisingly addictive. I don't have a cartridge of it (yet) but I have a disc of 30 Activision 2600 games for the original Playstation, so I've played it on there.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

Fishing Derby is surprisingly addictive. I don't have a cartridge of it (yet) but I have a disc of 30 Activision 2600 games for the original Playstation, so I've played it on there.

Only thing I don't like is it is yet another touchy/sensitive Activision cart, although maybe it will get better.  But always enjoyed the graphics and game play on this one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Only thing I don't like is it is yet another touchy/sensitive Activision cart, although maybe it will get better.  But always enjoyed the graphics and game play on this one.

I just found a cartridge on Ebay where the label isn't shredded. It looks weird, like all Activision 2600 cartridge labels do, but at least it's intact. So, I ordered it. 😁

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Activision cartridges are just like that. I play on an original four-switch wood grain, and Activision cartridges give me the most trouble. Although Avalon Hill cartridges give me the most trouble inserting them, but once they are in they work fine.

On 12/24/2023 at 7:29 PM, Dr Karnov said:

Nice!

Late January we should both create an updated tier list for 2600 maze / arena shooters, to compare 

I have an update of sorts. I have just finished playing Tutankham. It's a maze shooter, but not single screen, you make your way down a scrolling play area. But still quite fun. 

• Like 5

Kinda wish I hadn’t won that Mario Bros 7800 auction today given it’s not clear when/if I’ll be able to upgrade firmware. I take it if the part number on the cart ends with -50 it’s PAL and otherwise the label is the same as the NTSC ones?

Oh and I recorded a couple of Let’s Play 2600+ videos for my YouTube channel yesterday(link in my profile) and uploaded today. I cover everything in the 10-in-1 and 4-in-1 carts bar Combat and do some Imagic and Parker Bros carts as well as Vanguard and Wizard of Wor. Usual digressions apply so each part is an hour long 😅.

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 5:42 PM, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Fishing derby is a lot of fun. I have Gremlins, but it’s the 5200 version.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 2:19 AM, Sean_1970 said:

Fishing Derby is one of the first Atari games I played in a shop in West Roger’s Park that had a load of VCSes on display. At age 9 or 10 I thought it was amazing 😂

I used to play fishing derby with my godson when he was 8 or 9 😊

• Like 1

I haven't shared the huge amount of carts I've purchased so far, perhaps I'll post some highlights, but today lots arrived at once. This is three eBay purchases, one from Germany, one from the USA, and a collectable from here in the UK.

Yes, I bought a double ender! 😬🤣

I have only tried Frankenstein's Monster, a little tricky to line up in the slot, but cool to own. I'd love an original but they are too expensive. 

IMG_20240102_181113.jpg

IMG_20240102_181139.jpg

IMG_20240102_181210.jpg

IMG_20240102_185559.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I haven't shared the huge amount of carts I've purchased so far, perhaps I'll post some highlights, but today lots arrived at once. This is three eBay purchases, one from Germany, one from the USA, and a collectable from here in the UK.

I have only tried Frankenstein's Monster, a little tricky to line up in the slot, but cool to own. I'd love an original but they are too expensive. 

IMG_20240102_181113.jpg

IMG_20240102_181139.jpg

IMG_20240102_181210.jpg

IMG_20240102_185559.jpg

Nice!

Which carts have you enjoyed the most so far?

19 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Nice!

Which carts have you enjoyed the most so far?

I haven't tried these, other than Frankenstein.

I have played Dark Cavern (has yours arrived yet?), Laser Gates and Gas Hog via emulation before though, and enjoyed them all. 

Edited by JetmanUK

10 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

IMG_20240102_181113.jpg

IMG_20240102_181139.jpg

IMG_20240102_181210.jpg

IMG_20240102_185559.jpg

New cart day!  A few new ones on me.  I think the M-Network are not working though?

8 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I haven't tried these, other than Frankenstein.

I have played Dark Cavern (has yours arrived yet?), Lasger Gates and Gas Hog via emulation before though, and enjoyed them all. 

My Dark Cavern hasn't arrived yet. 

I like the look of Laser Gates, and I've been keeping an eye out for an affordable cart.

I've ordered some more carts including Jawbreaker and Robotron 2084, so lots to look forward to 

• Like 3