IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

3 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Wow that does look like a 2600 cart, I’d be fooled by that!

On the mis-selling front I’ve seen Mario Bros for the 2600 advertised as 7800-compatible, but without stating it’s the 2600 version (though that’s clear from the label. Factually correct, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was trying to get an easy sale.

I saw a Famicom copy of Mario Bros. listed as a 2600 cartridge once. I'm assuming (hoping) someone just checked the wrong box. Funnily enough, though, after seeing that listing I went and searched for Famicom Mario Bros., which led to me getting a $1 Famicom (with $7 shipping) copy of Mario Bros. from Japan. 😎

5 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

My copy of Solaris just turned up - same cart shell as 7800 Mario Bros with similar label damage. Honestly not sure why I bought this given I have it on at least two other comps - just fun using the original controls I guess 😅

IMG_0311.jpeg

I see a lot of those listings on Ebay, with the sunken in labels caused by those weird holes in that plastic. It's not a good look, but what can you do? Sometimes you just want that game.

7 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Most of my games are just carts, but I have bought a few boxed ones, some were sealed, some crushed and sealed 🤣. Not pictured here. I thought I'd share some nice silver boxes. 

IMG_20240104_155018.jpg

Those are gorgeous. I love the Atari 7800 boxes.

I saw a NIB Xevious listed earlier at a decent price. If it's still there later, I may have to get it. I love that game, but I've never played it on Atari.

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Here's some more.

Indy 500 is complete (I actually have three driving controllers in total), it wasn't bought that way though, pieced together. 

Dark Chambers is a little squashed but not too bad. There's the splattered Battlezone. 🤣

IMG_20240104_155607.jpg

Rampage! Heck yeah, one of my favorite games ever. Those all look great.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

7800 Donkey Kong is worse.  But after a while you get used to it.  What a thing to get used to!  And then you start to love it.  Ahhhh, the gritty dulcet tones of TIA 2-channel audio ❤️

You’re right about that, I think I commented on the audio when I played DK in my unboxing video 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scifidude79 said:

2600. I'm a huge G fan, so I had to nab it before someone else got it. There were already 24 watchers on it when I ordered it. The label is gorgeous:

Godzilla2600.thumb.jpg.4ea11ce6a026b2fdc0b4103cfdc45c9b.jpg

The game play looks like it could be fun too:

s-l1600.thumb.png.089b5975abf3caea9492db0f4e8c88c7.png

I'm guessing that's Mothra up top? I don't know, I'll have to see when I get it. Though, angel Godzilla is the best:

s-l1601.thumb.png.4e262925dd955d07e3c69f3cc1419013.png

Anyway, it looks fun. 😁

This is the kind of thing it’s hard to see getting an official re-release given licensing. Ditto some of those great homebrew arcade ports I’ve seen via Stella. Having a Pac-Man Plus 2600 cart would be amazing!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

7800 Donkey Kong is worse.  But after a while you get used to it.  What a thing to get used to!  And then you start to love it.  Ahhhh, the gritty dulcet tones of TIA 2-channel audio ❤️

I'm the weirdo who loves the sound of the TIA.  I think it's great. 🤣 🤷🏻

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

It is totally great, but stretched a bit paper-thin trying to support arcade and NES-style games on the 7800.  And even there I kinda like it in a weird sort of way.

I think the reason I like it so much is that the tones are just imprinted in my very early memories, those sounds ARE what video games sound like to me. I went on to have a Sinclair Spectrum, and as much as it was a larger part of my gaming childhood than Atari, those formative years made a lasting impression. Also, the Spectrum, outside of 128K mode games had awful sound... Again I am still fond of that too. 🤣

• Like 2

Chess arrived yesterday (I got it from Ebay). Classic Atari text-label looking version. I hadn't played chess in a long time and I'd consider myself Beginner (maybe Novice) level at best.

I played a game with myself vs the game on my 2600+, Beginner level. Though it seemed I was doing good for about the first half, Atari Chess soon kicked my butt for the 2nd half.

Aside from the flashing colors while the game is 'thinking' (and I usually just close my eyes or look away from the screen when it's doing that), I found it enjoyable and challenging. Though from what I've read that higher on difficulties levels (Expert), the game can take several hours of 'thinking' to make just one move, so I'll avoid that, haha. The Beginner level is enough of a challenge for me anyways (the game takes I'd say typically about 5 to 8 seconds of 'thinking' for it's moves on Beginner level).

Chess_01c.thumb.JPG.3b2ba8b4963d204c89b377280007110b.JPG

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

I paid way too much money for it, but I got a complete boxed copy of Crypts of Chaos.  It's a first person RPG dungeon crawler. I love the astetics of 20th Century Fox releases. 

FASvpBr.jpeg

Woah! Very nice. Will have to take a look at this one.

The 20th Century Fox labels and art is really unique and eyecatching. I enjoy seeing the different aesthetics that each publisher had. Very diverse. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Wow that does look like a 2600 cart, I’d be fooled by that!

On the mis-selling front I’ve seen Mario Bros for the 2600 advertised as 7800-compatible, but without stating it’s the 2600 version (though that’s clear from the label. Factually correct, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone was trying to get an easy sale.

My copy of Solaris just turned up - same cart shell as 7800 Mario Bros with similar label damage. Honestly not sure why I bought this given I have it on at least two other comps - just fun using the original controls I guess 😅

Mario Bros is a decent port, but man that 7800 audio 😬

Threshold is a decent Megamania crossed with Demon Attack and tougher than it looks! Tigervision seems to like a stripped down look for their games 🤔

IMG_0311.jpeg

What the hell goes on with these cards where the soft areas underneath the label get pressed down

• Like 1

Here's all my other boxed games*, well until I can locate my old games at my parents. 😬 I should find River Raid, Phoenix, Chopper Command (three of my all time favourites!) plus maybe a couple of others there too.

The only three of mine pictured here from before collecting for the 2600 Plus are Defender, Star Raiders and Combat.

Klax, Gravitar and Defender 2 were all purchased sealed, not sealed for long, I ripped those bad boys open straight away! 

IMG_20240104_194438.jpg

IMG_20240104_195814.jpg

*Excluding Berzerk Enhanced and Mr Run and Jump, obviously. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Waiting for these to turn up, had to buy a bundle to get the driving controllers.

Screenshot 2024-01-04 213535.png

Well, now you just HAVE to get the driving controllers working Ben. 😋

Nothing like Indy 500 with those controllers and that box collecting game is awesome, and a real party game too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Chess arrived yesterday (I got it from Ebay). Classic Atari text-label looking version. I hadn't played chess in a long time and I'd consider myself Beginner (maybe Novice) level at best.

I played a game with myself vs the game on my 2600+, Beginner level. Though it seemed I was doing good for about the first half, Atari Chess soon kicked my butt for the 2nd half.

Aside from the flashing colors while the game is 'thinking' (and I usually just close my eyes or look away from the screen when it's doing that), I found it enjoyable and challenging. Though from what I've read that higher on difficulties levels (Expert), the game can take several hours of 'thinking' to make just one move, so I'll avoid that, haha. The Beginner level is enough of a challenge for me anyways (the game takes I'd say typically about 5 to 8 seconds of 'thinking' for it's moves on Beginner level).

Chess_01c.thumb.JPG.3b2ba8b4963d204c89b377280007110b.JPG

I need to log a couple sessions with my "refurb" art copy.  The higher skill levels in Video Chess allow the machine to do a deeper search on all possible future moves to find the best move to take next, but the search space starts to grow exponentially.  At the highest difficulty level it averages about 10 hours to make a decision.  I heard there were 2 even higher difficulty levels in the original prototype, which would be pretty impractical, so they were dropped to save space.  This is the game for which bank switching technique was originally developed, although they shipped it as just a 4k cart.

When it comes to Video Checkers, Activision also had a version of the game.  But Atari's was programmed by Carol Shaw and my understanding is the Atari version is the better Checkers player.  Activision did not always outdo Atari.

• Like 3

Perusing fleabay and I spotted this. I have River Raid, ET and Frogger already, if I didn't I'd buy this myself. The fourth game is Pitfall. A good purchase if you want these games. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305337807878?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8YCcZ2stQie&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=CH1HdcLeT2q&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=WHATS_APP

I would like a reasonably priced Pitfall, this would have been ideal, I shall keep looking. 

Edited by JetmanUK