IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

I now have Yars Revenge, Raiders of the Lost Arc and E.T. - Howard Scott Warshaw's three games from the 80s. I thought he was an interesting character in the videos in Atari 50 so I purchased his audio book Once Upon Atari. I haven't quite finished it yet but I can highly recommend it, great insight into the Atari glory days (with their crazy shit), and into him and his life. It's always great when the author reads their own book and he does it really well. 

Did you see the YouTube video that was making the rounds a week or two back where a San Diego news station visited Atari in 1982? Howard Scott Warshaw can be seen in it in his full Indiana Jones regalia, bullwhip and all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/23/2024 at 12:52 PM, Dr Karnov said:

This one was tricky, but here's my 2600 non-scrolling shooting game list, best to worst:

1. Phoenix

2. Turmoil

3. Threshold

4. Galaxian

5. Megamania

6. Spider Fighter

7. Demon Attack

8. Gorf

IMG_20240123_184916.jpg

Of this group, Gorf might be number one for me.  I think my list would look like this:

1. Gorf

2. Turmoil

3. Galaxian

4. Phoenix

5. Spider Fighter

6. Demon Attack

7. Megamania

I have Threshold, but I have honestly barely played it.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

I love 7800 games, have got many and want more. Many good arcade ports and the new homebrews look really good🤙

Bentley Bear and Froggie order is pending and A R.T.I , EXO, T:me Salvo and Knight Guy are on my list for future orders😊

50% of my ready to play carts are 7800 ones🕹

Very nice collection there. 

My 7800 assortment isn’t the largest, but I have most of the original games that I’m interested in. 

IMG_3860.jpeg

• Like 10

On 1/21/2024 at 6:45 PM, SpareHead3 said:

CIB is nice, but I am more about getting the games. I can use this site for manual scans /  HTML versions.

I have gone a bit crazy lately with cartridge acquisitions ....

* H.E.R.O. (Activision)
* River Raid II (Activision)
* Private Eye (Activision)
* Commando (Activision)
* Bridge (Activision)
* Solar Storm (Imagic)
* Fathom (Imagic)
* Subterranea (Imagic)
* Quick Step (Imagic)
* Shootin Gallery (Imagic)
* Star Voyager (Imagic)

* Star Fox (Mythicon)
* Fire Fly (Mythicon)
* Alien (20th Century Fox)
* Bank Heist (20th Century Fox)
* Sir Lancelot (Xonox)
* Entombed (US Games)
* Name That Game (US Games)
* Space Jockey (US Games)
* 3D Tic-Tac-Toe (Atari)
* Basic Math (Atari)
* Video Checkers (Atari)
* Video Chess (Atari)
* Dark Chambers (Atari)
* Mario Bros (Atari)
* Demons To Diamonds (Atari)
* Brain Games (Atari)
* Berzerk Enhanced (Atari)
* Mr Run and Jump (Atari)
* Submarine Commander (Sears) -- Gift from my son
* Stellar Track (Sears)
* Challenge (Zellers)
* Unholy (Homebrew) - Not 2600+ compatible due to Melody Chip
* Circus Convoy (Audacity Games)
* Coconuts (Telesys)
* Infiltrate (Apollo)
* Planet Patrol (Spectravision)
* Smurf (Coleco)
* Reactor (Parker Brothers)
* Tunnel Runner (CBS)
* Encounter at L5 (Data Age)
* Space Attack (M Network)

I _think_ that's it (so far)....

Well.... after tonight, add 

* Gyruss (Parker Brothers)
* Star Trek (Sega)

to the list....

* Fire Fly (Mythicon)

* Solar Storm (Imagic)

are inbound (hopefully they work when they arrive).

I think I have a "sickness" hahahahaha.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/23/2024 at 2:06 PM, JetmanUK said:

Big Phil is all about game preservation and also doesn't mind Xbox games appearing on other platforms. He may actually be receptive to old Activitision games being available physically again. I think it would be worth Atari entering into dialogue with him.

I used to work on the Xbox team (360 and One). While I never met him, Spencer comes across as being all about the games. The only question I think he would have is whether or not there would be a reasonable return on investment.

Worth a shot.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Very nice collection there. 

My 7800 assortment isn’t the largest, but I have most of the original games that I’m interested in. 

IMG_3860.jpeg

Very nice collection!

I have the Epyx Games collection for the 2600, too. 

I always wanted Summer and Winter Games for the 7800 and now the 2600+ supports NTSC, so I ordered them from ebay US. Summer Games was an auction, otherwise it would have been to expensive.

Even though I like the C64 versions more (same with Mission Impossible), they were missing in my collection for such a long time😊

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MysticSword said:

Wow! Impressive 7800 games collection there. Several of them I'd love to have.

So far the few 7800 games I've managed to collect are:

• Pole Position II,
  • Karateka (I remember the game fondly on the C64, but this 7800 version so far to me is nearly unplayable to how unresponsive / slow the controls are),
  • Xevious,
  • Food Fight (a cute and fun game) and
  • Dig Dug (I'd say my fav of my 7800 games I have so far).

Oh yeah, A couple of days ago I managed to score Robotron on Ebay. It was a bit pricey (though comes complete with cartridge, box and manual) and it was still cheaper than any other Robotron cartridges I've seen on Ebay or elsewhere (plus the seller did give me a bit of a discount too).

Robotron is one of the best Games, when played twinstick.

It used to be my holy grail, as it did not run on PAL machines. I started hunting for one, after I read the 2600+ will play 7800 NTSC games😊

Robotron was the name of a state-owned East German computer company, too.

So the urban legend about Polybious might not be true but I am sure when you reach certain score in Robotron, it will crash and reveal a phone number leading to the STASI in the GDR😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, jeremiahjt said:

Did you see the YouTube video that was making the rounds a week or two back where a San Diego news station visited Atari in 1982? Howard Scott Warshaw can be seen in it in his full Indiana Jones regalia, bullwhip and all.

I did not, I'm going to look for this right now. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, SpareHead3 said:

Well.... after tonight, add 

* Gyruss (Parker Brothers)
* Star Trek (Sega)

to the list....

* Fire Fly (Mythicon)

* Solar Storm (Imagic)

are inbound (hopefully they work when they arrive).

I think I have a "sickness" hahahahaha.

Embrace it! Embrace it! Mwahahahaha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpareHead3 said:

I used to work on the Xbox team (360 and One). While I never met him, Spencer comes across as being all about the games. The only question I think he would have is whether or not there would be a reasonable return on investment.

Worth a shot.

Good to here.

Well, I assume that investment from MS would be tiny, some paperwork to be drawn up, that's it. Atari would be doing all the programming (if any, only if enhancements were made), manufacture, advertising and organising distribution.

Of course, paperwork does cost money, but I would hope that enough units would be shifted to make it worth while. It would basically be free advertising and good publicity for the Xbox games division. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Robotron is one of the best Games, when played twinstick.

That's how I play it.  In fact I played the game last night.  And after a few tries, I made it to wave 10.  Which the farthest I ever got before.  Then it was game over.  But the score was pretty good.  I got 170,700.  I was happy with that.  The twin stick controller I have is well built.  I'm glad to own one.

• Like 2

I kind of went a bit nuts in December with how much I spent on video games, so I decided to abstain from purchasing any this month.  That said, Albert sent me a nice surprise today.  My "last chance" order arrived:

Last_Chance_Order.thumb.jpg.af6bca58d0687ef5ff9888ee61ae679e.jpg

Wolfenstein VCS looks and plays wonderfully on the 2600+!  For those that don't know, it's an extensive hack of Venture that mixes in elements from the Wolfenstein series.  You can't buy it any more, but it looks like you can download the ROM from AtariAge here.  (I'm not sure if it's an earlier version or not.)  You can also watch a gameplay video here.  I really like the game, and I prefer it to Venture, honestly.

Next up is Zippy the Porcupine.  It's a great platformer and a love letter to the Sonic the Hedgehog series.  Sprybug, the game's author, has made the ROM available here.  The cartridge doesn't work correctly on my 2600+, but I'm also still running the Rev 1 beta firmware, and I suspect that's why.  (The 2600+ is trying to run a display mode unsupported by my TV.)  I'll let everyone know whether or not it works on the Rev 2 beta once I upgrade.

And then there's Baby Pac-Man.  Bob DeCrescenzo has released so many amazing (Pac-Man) ports for the 7800 that it was hard to narrow it down to just one.  I think I made the right choice, though.  This is an incredible port of a very obscure arcade game that combines the traditional gameplay of Pac-Man with an actual pinball machine.  It's also the only home conversion that exists, official or otherwise.  If you like Pac-Man, you'll probably like Baby Pac-Man.  (You can even ignore the pinball aspect if you so desire.)  You can find the ROM here on the forums.

Lastly, there's Adventure II for the Atari 5200.  (Not to be confused with the other Adventure II!)  It's a great game that I will stare at longingly just like I would stare at @Ben from Plaion should he and his team release a 5200 cartridge adapter for the 2600+. 😉

@JetmanUK

I know I'm like 20 pages late, but T:ME Salvo is also a twin-stick shooter of sorts.  It's also kind of a maze shooter.  You're limited to four directions, and you have to navigate around tiles while rescuing humans and shooting down enemies from various games, including Robotron and Berzerk.  Here's a video if you're interested.  It's very hard, but I like it.  It feels like an unofficial sequel to Robotron and an experimental one at that.

Edited by KainXavier
Fixed some more links. (Okay, I'm very tired.)
  • Like 7

On 1/23/2024 at 5:28 PM, Dr Karnov said:

Threshold is super hard. I personally always play game #3 because that's the easiest one.

threshold_pal_i_4.jpg

I played the game online and did number 3.  It makes the enemies move/attack slower which is good.  I wish other shooting games on the 2600 had a slow mode like that.  Most of the shooters are fast.  Which is fine if you want a challenge.  But it's good to have options for those who don't want to play a hard game.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

just like I would stare at @Ben from Plaion should he and his team release a 5200 cartridge adapter for the 2600+. 😉

It would be great if a 5200 adapter comes to the 2600+.  There are a few 5200 games I'd like to get.  The only issue is getting a 5200 controller made that works better than the original.  Maybe Atari can come up with a plan to make it happen.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I played the game online and did number 3.  It makes the enemies move/attack slower which is good.  I wish other shooting games on the 2600 had a slow mode like that.  Most of the shooters are fast.  Which is fine if you want a challenge.  But it's good to have options for those who don't want to play a hard game.

Threshold looks like a lot of fun!  I'm definitely going to pick that one up at some point soon.  I didn't know about Gas Hog either.  I'll add it and Tac-Scan to my maybe / if-it's-cheap list.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, KainXavier said:

I know I'm like 20 pages late, but T:ME Salvo is also a twin-stick shooter of sorts.  It's also kind of a maze shooter.  You're limited to four directions, and you have to navigate around tiles while rescuing humans and shooting down enemies from various games, including Robotron and Berzerk.  Here's a video if you're interested.  It's very hard, but I like it.  It feels like an unofficial sequel to Robotron and an experimental one at that.

It’s actually based on the PC game Crossfire

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(1981_video_game)

if your interested in the game, check out the reviews in the AtariAge Store

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I hope they do.  It would be nice to see new games for the 7800.

Even a cart with old 7800 games, like Atari made with their 10-in-1 and 4-in-1 carts, would be very welcome.

Edited by Glorkbot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

I really like Threshold.

I'm hoping one day I'll get good enough to play game 1 & 2!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That's good you got the physical manual.  I remember giving you the link to the digital manual.

I appreciated the link, but I always wanted an original copy. My binder is full of manuals, but I am missing a few (e.g., Boing!, Bumper Bash, Eggomania, Gravitar…)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

It would be great if a 5200 adapter comes to the 2600+.  There are a few 5200 games I'd like to get.  The only issue is getting a 5200 controller made that works better than the original.  Maybe Atari can come up with a plan to make it happen.

Yes, i would definately buy one. There are some great 5200 games. They did it with the retron 5 with the master system/card adapter

• Like 3