IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

Robot Tank is a little more difficult to me.  But still a good game.  I've played it as a ROM.  One day I'd like to get the cart.  I heard it might not work on a 7800.  Not sure if it works on the Plus.  I went to check the Atari website for the compatibility list and now it's gone.  It was there before.  The list was on the item page for the 2600+.  Hopefully they bring the list back.

The list is still there. Click Hardware then view compatibility list.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

Okay.  I'll go back and check.  Because the list used to be in a different spot I thought.  Maybe they moved it or I just forgot.

They might have moved it not sure. Robot Tank is listed as untested. But they have it working with the update

• Like 1

Here is an item for people collecting or just playing exclusively under the 2600+ to keep in mind; this is probably noteworthy for @Ben from Plaion and @raz0red too.  Twice I have ran into a situation where individuals believed they had or were selling an NTSC Solaris cart, in both cases wound up being the PAL versions.

The reason they believed they had an NTSC Solaris cartridge, is they loaded and tested the cartridge exclusively on the 2600+ console only, and everything appeared fine to them. 

Solaris is one of the titles where the palette conversion between NTSC and PAL regions furnishes near identical colors, and many would likely be hard pressed to determine if a Solaris cartridge is the PAL or NTSC version running, based on the title screen capture.  There are differences, but arguably too subtle for the majority.  Especially without a side-by-side comparison.

The 2600+ system automatically switches regions without notice, based on the MD5 of the cart detected.  Additionally, people may perceive performance problems resulting from a mismatch of cartridge region and the region of the display hardware being utilized.

Of course under original NTSC console hardware (2600 or 7800), the PAL 2600 cartridge game colors appear all hosed up.  However, the only immediate big tell under the 2600+, is if the debug version of a firmware is running, as it clearly states 50 FPS.

My humble suggestion for the next ('final') firmware release is to provide FPS and MD5 Hash details that are hidden by default, but perhaps show on screen if holding down the Fire button on controller/player 2 on startup, or some other input trigger.  That would help the majority avoid accidentally activating to display the information, while still making it relatively easy to check those details if/as needed. 

Including "NTSC" or "PAL" label with the MD5 and FPS details would be great too.  Even just a "(N)" or "(P)" could be a distinction flag.  For a cart that defaults NTSC, but can play PAL, or is 'multi-region', perhaps a "MULTI", "(M)", or "(N+)" can display.

Also, a pop-up message prior to cartridge/game displaying, stating "NTSC cart detected", or "PAL cart detected", could be really beneficial as well. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Gabe said:

Battlezone was one of my favorites as a kid, as was Chopper Command. I could play both for hours on end. 

I have a question regarding Battlezone: While watching a review of the game on YouTube, I realized the gameplay looks a lot different from my version of the game. Most videos show color gradients on the ground and sky. However, my version only shows solid colors, it looks a lot simpler overall and almost like a different game. Are there different versions? I’m confused. 

IMG_2754.png

IMG_2755.png

Edited by the_rogue_1

I just found the answer myself:

„For some strange reason the PAL version of Battlezone has less colors and details.  No one is quite sure why, but it's most likely just a rushed conversion job.“

Source: atariprotos.com

Bummer!

Edited by the_rogue_1
added source
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, the_rogue_1 said:

I just found the answer myself:

„For some strange reason the PAL version of Battlezone has less colors and details.  No one is quite sure why, but it's most likely just a rushed conversion job.“

Bummer!

yes is common seeing atari games with poor PAL conversions, Batlezone is the best example

• Sad 1

Woo hoo!

Today I got my first AA Homebrew! It arrived a lot sooner than I expected. Thanks @Albert

IMG_4112.thumb.jpeg.0183055edcd4dc02c3d87b81defb3bf7.jpeg

I knew it would look great, but I’m really impressed by the professional packaging, manual and overall quality. For anyone who’s been on the fence, it’s well worth picking some up. I’ll definitely be getting more. 👍🏼 

The game plays great on my plus.
Running 1.1r2

IMG_4113.thumb.jpeg.a7913bac4d1fe98397bfd30bb2e97533.jpeg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

Woo hoo!

Today I got my first AA Homebrew! It arrived a lot sooner than I expected. Thanks @Albert

I knew it would look great, but I’m really impressed by the professional packaging, manual and overall quality. For anyone who’s been on the fence, it’s well worth picking some up. I’ll definitely be getting more. 👍🏼 

Running 1.1r2

Wow! Very nice! AtariAge always has great quality! Well worth the cost! That’s awesome MikeM!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Today I got my first AA Homebrew! It arrived a lot sooner than I expected.

That's great.  

10 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

For anyone who’s been on the fence, it’s well worth picking some up. I’ll definitely be getting more. 👍🏼 

I have some homebrews from the AA store.  With another that I recently ordered.  

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 6:59 AM, JetmanUK said:

This arrived yesterday. 

It's kinda awesome/crap 🤣

They reached high and attempted an isometric game. Maybe it's me but it's not super clear how to cross the water, when I get it I'll get I'm sure and maybe I'll have a higher opinion of the game. The second screen is standard 2D so perhaps when I get to that I will enjoy it more. 

I primarily purchased this as a collector piece, I now own all but one Sega 2600 game, and I like the artwork. 

IMG_20240404_114354.jpg

SEGA actually made some good games for the 2600! THUNDERGROUND was one of my favorites.

Congo Bongo you have there is in pretty good condition!

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 12:12 PM, Alex_813 said:

Picked these up at Wal*Mart yesterday. They are $10 for a 2 drawer pack. Each drawer fits 28 carts.

PXL_20240318_022247364.jpg

PXL_20240318_025111689.MP.jpg

These are great! Thanks for the info I just picked up a few. I have storage bins for my cartridges but these sit nice next to my Atari 2600+. Easy access. Thanks @Alex_813

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Woo hoo!

Running 1.1r2

The game is great!

I play it with an arcade stick, as it is easier to press A and B button at the same time, which is a bit difficult on a pad.

If you want to run and do a high jump, you hold one button to speed up and press the other to jump.

You can also use the CX40+ 

Holding the button gives you speed and Up lets you jump. Hammering the button let you throw Gems.

The left difficulty switch let you chose between one and two button controls but you need to select it before loading the game.

It is one of the best games for the system🤙

Super Bently Bears🤗 

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

On 4/8/2024 at 11:05 PM, AtariYMás009 said:

I've just acqired this centipde cartridge (no, is not a colecovisión game) and for what I've  found online is a pretty rare version, is PAL btw.

Does anybody own it?

centipede_missprint.thumb.webp.dd59c78d6327bf0985ff2e44609757cf.webp

Yes, I own a copy in very good condition, and I regularly see them popping on eBay France. Very cool cartridge to have in a 2600 collection.
It's an Atarisoft edition, but with a sticker which was originally intended for Atarisoft cartridges for the Colecovision console.
It seems they're pretty common here in France, don't know why.
Right now, there are even 4 copies for sale on eBay France, some pretty cheap!

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/296259952400
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/135009057050
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/394980994010
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/294631982466

Edited by Electric-Dreams
wording ...