IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

One of my CIB games arrived, here's a photo. The photo is actually from the auction as sadly the seller made a mistake and sent me the wrong copy. Doh!

I received a boxed cart with the label missing and no manual, however he is correcting this by sending me another cart with label and the manual. To be fair the box looks in slightly better condition, so this will be an all round win, especially when you consider the following...

What I did receive in the box was a nice little leaflet about other M Network games and a free decal offer! Ooh! SEND IT NOW!

I hope it's a full woodgrain decal skin for my 2600 Plus!

Joking aside I really enjoy these little extras that I actually would not have cared for one bit back in the day, now they are very cool to own. :)

EDIT:

Looking at those M Network games I don't recognise Sea Battle, was it ever released? Maybe not, or perhaps under a different name? Perhaps on other consoles? Is there a prototype out there for download? I will look into this.

EDIT EDIT:

An answer!

Atari 2600 VCS Sea Battle : scans, dump, download, screenshots, ads, videos, catalog, instructions, roms (atarimania.com)

I will try it out, I love collecting for the 2600, stuff like this, these rabbit holes. Such fun. :)

s-l1600 (1).jpg

1713532302218.jpg

1713532302227.jpg

1713532302236.jpg

1713532302248.jpg

Great shooter. I enjoy this one. 👍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Two NTSC games arrived🤗

Bought them in Germany, so price plus shipping was about 25% of an import😊

Chopper Command not only has got different colors (more like brown than ocher) but plays faster and so it is the far better game.

The PAL chopper steers so sluggish I never liked the game... now I love it🤙

20240419_151631.jpg

20240419_151820.jpg

20240419_151723.jpg

Space Cavern. That's one that I'm after. Nice Artwork. 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

I thought the label was blue. Didn’t realize there’s a red version also. 👍

Space Cavern was an early release by Games by Apollo, before they went with the blue label standard across all their releases.  They rereleased it after the change to match everything else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2024 at 12:04 PM, JetmanUK said:

Canyon Bomber. There isn't a PAL version and although it's playable on a PAL console the colours are terrible!

Of course the beauty of the Plus is that you can play PAL and NTSC carts and they just work correctly, so I'll be able to play with pin sharp graphics and the correct colours on it.

I've previously played it on my PAL light sixer with the Harmony cart but the colours are awful. Another good case for having both OG and Plus hardware. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. 

I didn't purposely go after a complete version of the game, I saw one cheap (relative to just carts which had high postage costs from USA/Canada), I got lucky. CIB from Germany, cheaper postage 👍🏻

It's an early game, one of the 2K ones. Can't believe they made games fit in 2K, crazy. 

So I had a sudden realisation today, I already own Canyon Bomber, kind of. 🤦🏻🤷🏻🤣

It's included in the 4 game cart that came with the paddles. Ah well, I'll have a manual and box for it now so it's not a waste. Also, I won't have to flip dip switches. 🤣

It should be here by mid/end of next week. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

So I had a sudden realisation today, I already own Canyon Bomber, kind of. 🤦🏻🤷🏻🤣

It's included in the 4 game cart that came with the paddles. Ah well, I'll have a manual and box for it now so it's not a waste. Also, I won't have to flip dip switches. 🤣

It should be here by mid/end of next week. 

Meh.  I didn't buy a bunch of duplicates, but I do have a clean Haunted House just for the artwork. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

Meh.  I didn't buy a bunch of duplicates, but I do have a clean Haunted House just for the artwork. 

Yeah there are games I don't own the classic cart of which I am ok with just owning on the new 4 game and 10 game carts. 

I can see why you bought Haunted House, I have looked at Video Olympics myself as it's such a great and iconic game. I've not pulled the trigger though, but if I did it would be for a CIB copy of it, perhaps a couple of other games too, so it'll be nice to have Canyon Bomber, I could imagine my daughter playing it with me too, and appreciating the box. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

IMG_9964.thumb.jpeg.4171c09ccdbe51258fb795e32c54b782.jpeg

Actually, E.T. isn’t really that bad of a game!

A friend and I were shopping for Atari games at some local stores when I saw E.T. for $10. I was about to buy it just for the sake of owning supposedly the worst game ever, but my friend stopped me and said I could just have his copy instead. He said he never liked this game anyway. What a nice friend!   :)

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Plumbob said:

A friend and I were shopping for Atari games at some local stores when I saw E.T. for $10. I was about to buy it just for the sake of owning supposedly the worst game ever, but my friend stopped me and said I could just have his copy instead. He said he never liked this game anyway. What a nice friend!   :)

"Worst game ever" is a tired old exaggeration.  It's a neat little game and totally classic and historical Atari 2600.  And it's not that difficult to get the hang of it just by reading the manual once.  Looks like a nice clean copy.

• Like 3

Another post from me and maybe a little too off topic, so please forgive me, but I wanted to share. 

It's a collecting thing but not for the 2600 Plus, it definitely won't fit in the cartridge slot or either joystick port.

An Atari 50 Vinyl.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the music is like, I wanted an Atari music product and here it is. I would have preferred a cassette. Note to Atari, much cheaper to produce!

An interesting track list, but not what I expected. I was thinking more perhaps a chip tune or electronic music album, maybe music from the Recharged series and more from the same artists.

I'll share pics when it arrives next month, if I'm permitted of course. 😋

Screenshot_2024-04-20-04-39-47-977_com.google.android.youtube-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-20-04-40-35-853_com.microsoft.office.outlook-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-20-13-02-08-527_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping-edit.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Here are the two labels for Space Cavern. 

Which do you prefer?

IMG_20240420_123659.jpg

I'm going with blue, but I like them both.

Same here I like both but I think I’m use to seeing the blue. I do like the blue with the gold stripes and APOLLO logo with lightning bolt. But I might look for a copy of the Red to add to my collection.

• Like 3

Another post from me and maybe a little too off topic, so please forgive me, but I wanted to share. 

It's a collecting thing but not for the 2600 Plus, it definitely won't fit in the cartridge slot or either joystick port.

An Atari 50 Vinyl.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the music is like, I wanted an Atari music product and here it is. I would have preferred a cassette. Note to Atari, much cheaper to produce!

An interesting track list, but not what I expected. I was thinking more perhaps a chip tune or electronic music album, maybe music from the Recharged series and more from the same artists.

I'll share pics when it arrives next month, if I'm permitted of course. 😋

Screenshot_2024-04-20-04-39-47-977_com.google.android.youtube-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-20-04-40-35-853_com.microsoft.office.outlook-edit.jpg

Screenshot_2024-04-20-13-02-08-527_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping-edit.jpg

I got the email about this.  It's neat but I'm not interested in getting it.  But it would make for a nice collection piece. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Plumbob said:

With friends like that who needs enemies! Don’t you see, now you are stuck with this cartridge in your collection for the next fifty years!🤣😄😂

Just kidding I have this in my collection. It’s not a bad game at all! I didn’t own this back in the day but I did get it years later to see what it was all about and I actually appreciated and enjoyed the game. It’s an Atari 2600 game! And you have one with a great label!

and a Great Friend!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Plumbob said:

It really isn't a bad game, just confusing until you RTFM. The pits are annoying though. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Which do you prefer?

IMG_20240420_123659.jpg

If I had to choose, I would go with the blue one.  It reminds me of my brother-in-law’s Lost Luggage game, which is also an Apollo game with a blue label.  

Now that I look at them again, I do like the red one too.   They both look great!  Why couldn’t the Atari 7800 labels have looked so cool?

I don’t normally spend too much time stopping to appreciate the labels vs just playing the games, so I appreciate your post making me take a moment to look at the art work on these labels. 

Edited by Plumbob
Fixed minor grammar error
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Plumbob said:

If I had to choose, I would go with the blue one.  It reminds me of my brother-in-law’s Lost Luggage game, which is also an Apollo game with a blue label.  

I like both Space Cavern labels.  Also, I have Lost Luggage.  It's the blue label version.  There is also a green label version as well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I like both Space Cavern labels.  Also, I have Lost Luggage.  It's the blue label version.  There is also a green label version as well.

That is true. I need to check which I have. I think the green one. Another when I get home I'll look situation. So many carts. 🤷🏻 🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Nope! I have the blue one, and looking into it I believe that the green one was earlier and missing stuff/or had bugs so I decided against it. 

IMG_20240420_160448.jpg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Fun fact:

The green label version doesn't have an intro scene.  While the blue one does.

Haha. Yes! It was different. 

I have quite a few Apollo games, even the dreaded Skeet Shoot, which I think is... OK. It's nowhere near as bad as it's reputation.

It actually seems to me that a lot of the 'terrible' games are not as bad as people would have you believe... I do admit I do like a crap game sometimes so maybe it's just me.

Perhaps I should share my Apollo collection in a photo too.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Which do you prefer?

IMG_20240420_123659.jpg

I am glad I got the red one, as it is the same style like my Space Chase cart, even that is blue😅

20240420_171743.jpg

20240420_171756.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, DEANJIMMY said:

I am glad I got the red one, as it is the same style like my Space Chase cart, even that is blue😅

20240420_171743.jpg

20240420_171756.jpg

Good to see!

I must admit, I do like the font on the red version of Space Cavern. Space Chase's font is cool too.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Plumbob said:

I like E.T. you most definitely have to read the manual thou. This game deserves more love. Unfair to say it caused the video game crash.

What crashed the video game industry was a lack of quality control, poor quality games, and market confusion.

• Like 2