IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

15 minutes ago, jonreddick said:

That could certainly be it. I've upgraded a number of Rockchip devices on these computers: Gamestation, Flashbacks, Evercade... Thanks for the reply.

I don't mind that they all use similar chips and drivers, but this thing where they can't differentiates themselves from one another is pretty problematic.

- Jon

It is a known problem which I hope they address in the next update.  I have read about people bricking the Atari Gamestation Pro so I am a little concerned about the next update for that machine.  

Just now, flaggskull said:

It is a known problem which I hope they address in the next update.  I have read about people bricking the Atari Gamestation Pro so I am a little concerned about the next update for that machine.  

Not to get off topic here, but if your GSP is on 1.30, future updates can be done straight from the SD card, so RKDevTool will be moot for that device. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jonreddick said:

Not to get off topic here, but if your GSP is on 1.30, future updates can be done straight from the SD card, so RKDevTool will be moot for that device. 

Oh Good!  I didn't realize that.  Thanks for the info.  And the Evercades now update via wifi except for the first one which has had it's final update (Except perhaps custom firmware i.e. everSD).  I'm sure they'll fix the problem  Ben has already commented on it!    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Strange,

I've not tried my actual cartridge but the final build has full audio and sounds great on my 2600+ with the latest update through my DragonFly. Guess I need to pull out the actual cart and see what I get.

Okay... my actual KK cart does work but with no POKEY audio. Only the TIA sounds. However, the final release of the game through my DragonFly cartridge does produce and play the Pokey audio correctly through my 2600+. 

So just wanted to clarify that. There is a difference here in that the actual carts have HOKEY chips in them while my DF cart is using a POKEYMAX chip in it.

Yes, I have had the same results with ARTI (Using the HOKEY) not playing music.  However, my homebrews of Super Circus and Crystal Quest with real POKEY chips play music just fine.  

42 minutes ago, AtariLeaf said:

According to John Hancock, Super circus atariage is working with this beta but I can't get paddles to work. Joystick in left port, paddles in right but once I select paddles from the main screen, nothing happens. These are the new Atari paddles btw. Any ideas? Nothing in the manual suggests I'm doing anything wrong.

I have the same results.  John may not have tested the game with Paddles.  Might be the same problem TAC-SCAN has with using the paddles in the right port.  

• Like 3

The atari 2600+ has played all my PAL 2600 games on firmware 1.0 . Absolutley fine no issues . 1.1 seems to have broken the PAL compatiblity.

I personally really don't care about inserting a PAL cart and getting the correct colours and refresh rate

NTSC games display more colours and play faster anyway 💪 

Insert the cart and it works and plays fine. That's all that matters

1 hour ago, flaggskull said:

I have read about people bricking the Atari Gamestation Pro so I am a little concerned

Only thing I saw on that was someone trying to push a linux image onto it. Do you have another source where someone bricked it? Also, there is a recovery process to unbrick them.

14 minutes ago, shane857 said:

The atari 2600+ has played all my PAL 2600 games on firmware 1.0 . Absolutley fine no issues . 1.1 seems to have broken the PAL compatiblity.

I personally really don't care about inserting a PAL cart and getting the correct colours and refresh rate

NTSC games display more colours and play faster anyway 💪 

Insert the cart and it works and plays fine. That's all that matters

In most of the games the color is not a problem, but with games like space invaders, pole position, dark chambers... that have dark backgrounds is so uncomfortable to play like that.

I suggest @Ben from Plaion develop a version that implements the z26 palette but remains at 60Hz, since the scrolling problems are not as serious as the sprites disappearing.
or of course, a version that fixes all these problems, which I think is what they will do.

4 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

In most of the games the color is not a problem, but with games like space invaders, pole position, dark chambers... that have dark backgrounds is so uncomfortable to play like that.

I suggest @Ben from Plaion develop a version that implements the z26 palette but remains at 60Hz, since the scrolling problems are not as serious as the sprites disappearing.
or of course, a version that fixes all these problems, which I think is what they will do.

Has to be plug in a PAL 50hz cartridge and it runs without issue with z26 palette. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, raz0red said:

Hi quick question.

Has anyone else experienced corrupt graphics in Crossbow 7800 (NTSC)?

Thanks a lot,

Chris.

It is now pretty much confirmed that there are different revisions of the game that Atari released. My NTSC Crossbow cart works fine and has since the original release FW that came on the 2600+ and it still works on the beta FW as well. 

So there is a version out there that works as I'm proof of that but not sure how rare or anything else the version I have is. 

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It is now pretty much confirmed that there are different revisions of the game that Atari released. My NTSC Crossbow cart works fine and has since the original release FW that came on the 2600+ and it still works on the beta FW as well. 

So there is a version out there that works as I'm proof of that but not sure how rare or anything else the version I have is. 

Well you'd know, lol!

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Well you'd know, lol!

Hey it looks like any other version of the game I've seen over the years so I just assumed it was supposed to work so kinda surprising to see it didn't for many others.

43 minutes ago, captcapcom said:

I'm not sure if this will help. But My Version of The Popeye Cart is "Version 2.3 C" and it does indeed crash when you start a game. I was unaware until recently there were other versions out there. 

I believe 2.3c is the newest that was released on actual carts but @darryl1970 would have to confirm that along with @Albert. Mine is the first release from PRGE 2022 and it is version 1.3 so it is older and has the bottle score bug on stage 2 present. I think only 1.3 and 2.3 exist on physical carts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Hey it looks like any other version of the game I've seen over the years so I just assumed it was supposed to work so kinda surprising to see it didn't for many others.

Yup of course, these things need to be diagnosed and fixed.

I was light heartedly making a comment considering your username!😀

Just now, Ben from Plaion said:

Yup of course, these things need to be diagnosed and fixed.

I was light heartedly making a comment considering your username!😀

Oh I realized.. it wasn't lost on me.

I had good success with my Homebrews except for "Possible Mission", which is the fixed version of Impossible Mission for the Atari 7800 NTSC.  I received my copy from Good Deal Games a few years ago. I verified that it does work on my original 7800.

It states loads successfully, but just comes up with a black screen.

Anyone else try this port on their 2600+?

Edited by phuzzed

3 hours ago, flaggskull said:

My Realsports boxing does not work after update.  Displays a rolling scrambled picture.  

Thanks for confirming.  Odd that Realsports Boxing was specifically called out as being fixed in the 1.1 beta release notes, but it's not.

@Ben from Plaion, just want to being this to your attention.