IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1

Ben from Plaion

33 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

Excellent!

One more thing to mention, Sega Tac-Scan still has the issue where the paddles don't work.  This is the game that uses the paddles in the RIGHT port.  My guess is the emulator is configured to think the paddles need to be in the LEFT port.  Probably a very quick configuration fix.

Have you tried the paddles in the left port? That's how Stella is configured.

I'm using the 1.1 beta test to get my NTSC 7800 collection organized and was able to do A-D this morning.  I used the Eladdin Super Arcade Controller+ in 2600/7800 mode as well as a CX-40.  I also don't have a 7800 out at the moment, so didn't do any sound comparisons to see if there were issues in that area.

Controller Issues:

The CX-40 worked fine for games that only needed one button.  Anything that allowed the pull back did not function properly (Asteroids, etc.).

The light gun currently doesn't work although maybe a clever engineer can come up with a new one that works with modern TVs as well as CRTs.

All other controllers aren't currently supported.

The results are below:

Ace of Aces - Works

Alien Brigade - Works

Armor Attack II - Works

Asteroids - Works

Asteroids - Works

Astro Blaster - Works

Astro Figher - Works

Attack of the Petscii Robots - Doesn't Load

Ballblazer - Works

Barnyard Blaster - Boots but not playable without Light Gun

Basketbrawl - Works

Beef Drop - I have two copies for some reason.  Each has a numbered sticker on the back.

Number 100 - Works

Number 18 - Works but crashes when pause is selected (black/white switch)

b*nQ - Works

Centipede - Works

Choplifter! - Works

Commando - Works

Crack'ed - Works

Crazy Brix - Loads but would not accept any inputs after the game was started (joystick or paddles), also would crash when game select switch toggled

Crazy Otto* - Works

Crossbow - Graphics would not load properly resulting in a blocky dark screen

Crystal Quest - Works, Had similar issue as John where two buttons wouldn't work, but after dinking around a few minutes they suddenly worked

Danger Zone - Works

Dark Chambers - Works

Desert Falcon - Works

Dragon's Descent - Works

Diagnostic Test Cartridge - Doesn't Load

Dig Dug - Works

Donkey Kong - Works

Donkey Kong Junior - Works but crashes when pause is selected (black/white switch)

Donkey Kong XM - Works

Double Dragon - Doesn't Load

Dungeon Stalker - Works

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

how are you guys getting these games working?  My copy of Plutos, Klax etc don't work at all but boot up first try on my 7800.  It said I upgraded successfully and says I'm running v1.1 but I'm not able to run a lot of what others are saying they can.

The dumper is sensitive to what pcb the game is placed on.  I know this from my own homebrew game in which a different pcb was used and it impacted game compatibility.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Have you tried the paddles in the left port? That's how Stella is configured.

I have tried.  Tac-Scan paddles do not work when plugged into either LEFT or RIGHT port on the 2600+ in either 1.0 or 1.1 beta.  Note, the game manual specifically states that the paddles should be plugged into the RIGHT port, if that helps with the troubleshooting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, swlovinist said:

The dumper is sensitive to what pcb the game is placed on.  I know this from my own homebrew game in which a different pcb was used and it impacted game compatibility.  

I just realized I skipped that part of the install so I'm attempting that now, but unfortunately its not detecting the console as it should.  I'm trying to figure it out but no matter what port I use I get undetected so I have to figure that out.  Thanks for the input but as usual its my fault lol hopefully it can be done out of order

30 minutes ago, Atari_Warlord said:

I'm using the 1.1 beta test to get my NTSC 7800 collection organized and was able to do A-D this morning.  I used the Eladdin Super Arcade Controller+ in 2600/7800 mode as well as a CX-40.  I also don't have a 7800 out at the moment, so didn't do any sound comparisons to see if there were issues in that area.

Controller Issues:

The CX-40 worked fine for games that only needed one button.  Anything that allowed the pull back did not function properly (Asteroids, etc.).

The light gun currently doesn't work although maybe a clever engineer can come up with a new one that works with modern TVs as well as CRTs.

All other controllers aren't currently supported.

The results are below:

Ace of Aces - Works

Alien Brigade - Works

Armor Attack II - Works

Asteroids - Works

Asteroids - Works

Astro Blaster - Works

Astro Figher - Works

Attack of the Petscii Robots - Doesn't Load

Ballblazer - Works

Barnyard Blaster - Boots but not playable without Light Gun

Basketbrawl - Works

Beef Drop - I have two copies for some reason.  Each has a numbered sticker on the back.

Number 100 - Works

Number 18 - Works but crashes when pause is selected (black/white switch)

b*nQ - Works

Centipede - Works

Choplifter! - Works

Commando - Works

Crack'ed - Works

Crazy Brix - Loads but would not accept any inputs after the game was started (joystick or paddles), also would crash when game select switch toggled

Crazy Otto* - Works

Crossbow - Graphics would not load properly resulting in a blocky dark screen

Crystal Quest - Works, Had similar issue as John where two buttons wouldn't work, but after dinking around a few minutes they suddenly worked

Danger Zone - Works

Dark Chambers - Works

Desert Falcon - Works

Dragon's Descent - Works

Diagnostic Test Cartridge - Doesn't Load

Dig Dug - Works

Donkey Kong - Works

Donkey Kong Junior - Works but crashes when pause is selected (black/white switch)

Donkey Kong XM - Works

Double Dragon - Doesn't Load

Dungeon Stalker - Works

Awesome. If you have Karateka NTSC and get to K, can you post the result here? I had control issues with it, but curious if it another person can verify/disprove this. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

unfortunately its not detecting the console as it should. 

• Make sure you use the supplied USB-A to USB-C cable and not a USB-C to USB-C cable
  • Make sure you pull down the GAME SELECT lever and not the GAME RESET

15 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

I just realized I skipped that part of the install so I'm attempting that now, but unfortunately its not detecting the console as it should.  I'm trying to figure it out but no matter what port I use I get undetected so I have to figure that out.  Thanks for the input but as usual its my fault lol hopefully it can be done out of order

Do you have an Evercade? My 2600+ was recognized as an Evercade handheld due to prior firmware updates on my laptop for that device.

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I have updated and tested some 7800 games:

Now work that previously didn't:

Ms Pacman PAL

Xevious PAL

Choplifter PAL

Still not working:

Karateka PAL

(The cart dumps, but I just get a black screen. This is the same result I had on the launch firmware with Xevious and Choplifter). I have no 7800 to test this cart on, but I assume that it is OK. 

I just tested the Karateka PAL rom from Trebor's pak and it loads up find and plays fine on my 2600+ with the beta FW. I tested it using my DragonFly cart but it is possible that something on the cartridge side of things in some cases could be an issue. 

I've got two versions of BallBlazer. One of them that I believe is an older release of the game doesn't have any passive components on the PCB. Just the Pokey and game ROM and thats it. That version doesn't even load up past the Lucas logo on most 7800s with Rockwell CPUs in them and most others will eventually crash at some point on actual hardware. Another version I have will load up and play just fine on most consoles but still exhibit an odd crash here and there on some Rockwell and NCR CPU consoles. But here is the thing... if I load up the BallBlazer ROM using a flash cart on those consoles. It will work each and everytime without fault.

I only mention this as my testing with a DF cart might skew the results but so far the roms from some of these problem games are working mostly for me. A few of the 7800 demos are NOT working for me that are for other testers and I can't explain that as yet. But I can confirm that Karateka PAL rom image in Trebors pak is working on the 2600+ for me.

Rampage is a still a no go. I get the same results as others with both original cartridge and through the DF in that I get a scrambled looking screen all in yellow that appears to show some sprite data while the title music plays. If you leave it to go into demo mode, it will lock up with a grey screen at that point. Samething happens if you try and start the game.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

First time I updated everything, the order I was given was different. I first updated the core FW with the image file and then updated the dumper. I had to install the driver file for the dumper to work, but did NOT need that for the core update to work. I've since installed a few different updates back and forth on my 2600+ now for testing and it seems to work great each time. But, Im using the cable that came with it for updating. 

45 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

I have tried.  Tac-Scan paddles do not work when plugged into either LEFT or RIGHT port on the 2600+ in either 1.0 or 1.1 beta.  Note, the game manual specifically states that the paddles should be plugged into the RIGHT port, if that helps with the troubleshooting.

Weird. Have you tried both paddles? The game not only has the ports swapped but also the paddles themselves. Though, for the official NTSC version, Stella fixes that.

BTW: Do you have a PAL version of the game? The Atarimania collection only contains PAL hacks and pirates.

30 minutes ago, Blinky said:
  • Make sure you use the supplied USB-A to USB-C cable and not a USB-C to USB-C cable
  • Make sure you pull down the GAME SELECT lever and not the GAME RESET

28 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

Do you have an Evercade? My 2600+ was recognized as an Evercade handheld due to prior firmware updates on my laptop for that device.

18 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

First time I updated everything, the order I was given was different. I first updated the core FW with the image file and then updated the dumper. I had to install the driver file for the dumper to work, but did NOT need that for the core update to work. I've since installed a few different updates back and forth on my 2600+ now for testing and it seems to work great each time. But, Im using the cable that came with it for updating. 

thank you all!  I was able to get it to work, for some reason it doesn't seem to like my usb 3.0 jacks so I had to use the 2.0 on the other computer and it worked.  I appreciate all the help and fast responses you all rock!  So far I got Donkey Kong PK working, Klax, Sirius, Plutos, Crystal Quest, and Knight Guy Low Res world all also working.  My copy of Realsports Boxing gives a scrolling screen with the sprites but everything is in the wrong place, Rampage (7800) shows garbage and plays the music, Double Dragon (7800) just a black screen and Rikki and Vikki fails to boot all together.  This is all probably known but I thought I'd share my testing so far!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Silver Back said:

Rampage (7800) shows garbage and plays the music, Double Dragon (7800) just a black screen 

Just an FYI… Rampage and Double Dragon were discovered to have incorrect CRC values in the current dumper.

This should (hopefully) get resolved in an upcoming version of the dumper.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Atari_Warlord said:

Using it on real hardware, I experience that sometimes you jump by pulling up, other times you jump by pushing a button.

I bought loose cart on ebay (long ago), so I don’t know if this is dip-switch settings.

If so, perhaps the 2600+ gets ‘confused’ how its to be read…?

- - -

Does the Pokey music play as normal…?