Ben from Plaion

I have updated and tested some 7800 games:

Now work that previously didn't:

Ms Pacman PAL

Xevious PAL

Choplifter PAL

Still not working:

Karateka PAL

(The cart dumps, but I just get a black screen. This is the same result I had on the launch firmware with Xevious and Choplifter). I have no 7800 to test this cart on, but I assume that it is OK. 

I just wanted to jump in here and state that my copy of Popeye that I bought at PRGE 2022 works just fine in my 2600+. Looks good...sounds good and I was able to play a full game without issues? But I only just was sent the newer 2.3 version and can try that on my DF cart to see if anything changes. If it does, then I can only say that the earlier released version on cartridge does seem to work okay though.

However, my Mountain King NTSC doesn't not work and just gives the Failed to load message after trying to load, or will keep cycling the Loading message. Tunnel Runner worked great though! Robot Tank does indeed still give the vsync hold looking issue and locks up the emulation in the process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I just wanted to jump in here and state that my copy of Popeye that I bought at PRGE 2022 works just fine in my 2600+. Looks good...sounds good and I was able to play a full game without issues? But I only just was sent the newer 2.3 version and can try that on my DF cart to see if anything changes. If it does, then I can only say that the earlier released version on cartridge does seem to work okay though.

However, my Mountain King NTSC doesn't not work and just gives the Failed to load message after trying to load, or will keep cycling the Loading message. Tunnel Runner worked great though! Robot Tank does indeed still give the vsync hold looking issue and locks up the emulation in the process.

My Mountain King starts.

But my Popeye freezes.

If the developers compare versions of Popeye they might find a fix for older versions.

20231231_123407.jpg

1 minute ago, DEANJIMMY said:

My Mountain King starts.

But my Popeye freezes.

If the developers compare versions of Popeye they might find a fix for older versions.

20231231_123407.jpg

Yeah I might revert to a slightly different FW I was sent before and test again. The one I have currently gives dumper results on 7800 games and programs to help isolate what the game/program is trying to do so I will go back to what I was given before and test some games again. It is possible the current one I have is why Mountain King isn't loading up. I've got time today and tomorrow so I should be able to test a bit further on my end.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jnagy13 said:

Great to allow users to do this. I was able to complete the Dumper process, however, the Emulator process is not working for me. My Device Manager does not show any Unknown Devices anywhere including under the Other Devices folder. I tried several times making sure the Color switch is selected and holding down Game Reset button while turning the unit on. Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue. 

I had the same experience as you, at the second stage my lapton made the sound that it had detected the console being connected again but it did not appear in Device Manager as an unknown device, or as a known device either.

After a couple of tries I decided to carry on anyway. I installed the drivers from the executable and followed the rest of the procedure and the update worked fine.

I am on Windows 11 and although I have just purchased an Evercade I have not used my laptop to install anything onto it, so it's not an my laptop confusing the 2600 Plus with my Evercade VS. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that some games that are using the phosphor remanence of CRT to display several Alien (Defender 2600 PAL) still have issue of Alien disapearing.

For Space Invader 2600 PAL, after 3 back and forth moves of Aliens some shot are disapearing as reported by other tester.

My Schtroumph CBS 2600 PAL is not working

My "Super Huey" 7800 PAL is not working also.

MAny of the 7800 Homebrew I am testing are working (Pac Man Collection, Baby Pac Man, ...). I need to check wether they are PAL or NTSC...

Edited by Avenger75
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I had the same experience as you, at the second stage my lapton made the sound that it had detected the console being connected again but it did not appear in Device Manager as an unknown device, or as a known device either.

After a couple of tries I decided to carry on anyway. I installed the drivers from the executable and followed the rest of the procedure and the update worked fine.

I am on Windows 11 and although I have just purchased an Evercade I have not used my laptop to install anything onto it, so it's not an my laptop confusing the 2600 Plus with my Evercade VS. 

I used the install exe for the driver too and it worked fine.

I am on Win 11

56 minutes ago, Avenger75 said:

It seems that some games that are using the phosphor remanence of CRT to display several Alien (Defender 2600 PAL) still have issue of Alien disapearing.

For Space Invader 2600 PAL, after 3 back and forth moves of Aliens some shot are disapearing as reported by other tester.

My Schtroumph CBS 2600 PAL is not working

My "Super Huey" 7800 PAL is not working also.

MAny of the 7800 Homebrew I am tesing are working. I need to check wether they are PAL or NTSC...

My PAL Super Huey is working 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gamma Ray said:

I saw someone mention recently that only two of the ghosts were showing on the old 2600 Pac Man with the 1.1 beta. I tried my old cart, and all ghosts display as they ever did. TV-based postprocessing is probably at fault for people having these sorts of problems. I always run my stuff in the most game mode of game modes available, and I never have any problems.

You'd probably also be having issues with shots in Space Invaders and maybe Missile Command.

That's because the ghost's issue only happens with PAL pac-man, the NTSC works just fine

something went wrong with the 50 Hz implementation.

Itried it in every TV I own, and same result

Even in a crt, it can't be wrong in a crt haha.

Edited by AtariYMás009
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, chad5200 said:

Thanks @Ben from Plaion for sharing the 1.1 beta!

1.1 beta initial feedback...  all NTSC...

GOOD:

2600 Omega Race works (minus booster grip, which renders the game unplayable)

2600 Circus Convoy works (VERY COOL!)

7800 Asteroids didn't have the phantom hyperspace happen for me anymore but need more playtime to be sure.

BAD/NO CHANGE:

2600 Robot Tank still not working (no difference from 1.00, screen scrolls)

2600 Spike's Peak not working (no difference from 1.00, game loads and starts but joystick is not working)

2600 Burgertime not working (no difference from 1.00)

2600 Masters Of The Universe not working (no difference from 1.00)

2600 white shelled Coleco Donkey Kong Junior not working (no difference from 1.00, this is the issue discovered where many different Coleco games are not working if they have a specific circuit board)

2600 Super Breakout (no difference from 1.00, still has jumpy/coarse paddle control)

Also wanted to mention that NTSC Coleco Smurf Rescue In Gargamel's Castle still does not work (no difference from 1.00).

18 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes that cart is on its way to the developer, so should be fixed in the new year.

Excellent!

One more thing to mention, Sega Tac-Scan still has the issue where the paddles don't work.  This is the game that uses the paddles in the RIGHT port.  My guess is the emulator is configured to think the paddles need to be in the LEFT port.  Probably a very quick configuration fix.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Oh yeah, conspiracy theories, love it.

And who really cares anyway?  It is interesting how much Plaion is involved in retro systems but surely that's a good thing as it means they have lots of experience in the market.

Although it would be pretty cool if you could tell us if the next system from Retro Games is going to be an ST Mini 😁