IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

2 hours ago, Philsan said:

Am I missing something or everytime you want to load a game from USB you have to change machine model from 800 to 800XL/130XE?

I think 800XL should be the default machine, not 800.

800is the default. But if you change it a .cfg gets created for that game so at least you don’t need to do it again next time you start that game 🤷‍♂️

I owned an 800XL, but other than appearance and being cheaper what was the difference between the machines?

50 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

800is the default. But if you change it a .cfg gets created for that game so at least you don’t need to do it again next time you start that game 🤷‍♂️

I owned an 800XL, but other than appearance and being cheaper what was the difference between the machines?

One had 48k, 4 joystick ports and OS-B, the other had 64K, 2 joystick ports and OS-XL

• Like 1

The 400/800 had the CTIA graphics co-processor, while the later machines had a GTIA, giving them a couple more graphics modes that are often used in later games

There's also compatibility issues with some older games on the later revisions of the OS. If something crashes (or doesn't work at all) on the 800XL/130XE settings, setting it to 400 or 800 will often get it working. 800 is a sensible default because that will work with most games from back in the day; more recent stuff that requires more RAM or the GTIA modes can be taken on a case-by-case basis.

8 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Anyone remember the Translator Disk, it would get older games working on the 800XL... :)

Yes, indeed!

Boot the system with "Translator", then use that to boot the game disc.  Most of the time it fixed games that did not want to run on an 800XL ... but I kept my original 800 around for those it didn't (well, that, and because I liked having the 800/810 as one setup, and the 800XL/1050 as the other).

13 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

One had 48k, 4 joystick ports and OS-B, the other had 64K, 2 joystick ports and OS-XL

And the XL's had built-in BASIC. 

53 minutes ago, LS650 said:

The 400/800 had the CTIA graphics co-processor, while the later machines had a GTIA, giving them a couple more graphics modes that are often used in later games

The later 400/800 systems also got the GTIA chip.   It was introduced before the XL line.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:01 AM, akator said:

I'd love to see a functional membrane keyboard on The400 Mini.  I'm sure someone will figure that out within a few months after it's released, just as they have by creating functioning mini keyboard for TheC64 Mini and TheA500 Mini.  The membrane keyboard might be easier because it wouldn't require all of those little keycaps to be 3D printed.

The The400 Mini & TheA500 Mini keyboards, in progress...

https://youtu.be/kJI3WTaM6_8?t=9888

Edited by explorer
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, gespy said:

I have created a video with five tips for the 400 mini:

Most of them are probably already known. But maybe it will still be useful to some people.

Really great detail on organising multiple disks and using Atari DOS. Whatever fault folk might find with Retrogames QA related to the joystick, you really have to tip your hat to them given this is sold as a games console and they didn’t have to do that.

1 hour ago, Gory-Glory said:

One more crazy question from me. 😉

Can you connect a mouse to 400 Mini !?

Had Atari 400 a mouse back in 1979 !?

1.Currently you can't, it's not supported in the current firmware.

2.No

1 hour ago, Gory-Glory said:

One more crazy question from me. 😉 

Can you connect a mouse to 400 Mini !?

1) Physically you can connect a USB mouse, and it lights up with power.  The hidden paddle games did not appear, and 5200 games do not recognize mouse input.  I'd guess that the emulator is not currently written to recognize mouse input.

2) No, there was no mouse released for the 8-bit line-up.  Atari did release a mouse for the ST computers that could plug into DB-9, and I think there are a few homebrews that take advantage of this.  Here's a thread about it.   https://forums.atariage.com/topic/106973-mouse-on-800xl/

59 minutes ago, LS650 said:

2) No, there was no mouse released for the 8-bit line-up.  Atari did release a mouse for the ST computers that could plug into DB-9, and I think there are a few homebrews that take advantage of this.  Here's a thread about it.   https://forums.atariage.com/topic/106973-mouse-on-80

In the later years (end of the 80s, early 90s) various games and software were released for the Atari 8-bit computer that used the ST mouse. The mouse support had to be included in the software itself.

Here are a few examples from the Atari 8-bit FAQ:

Subject: 8.6) What programs have a track ball mode or support a mouse?

Contributors: Andreas Magenheimer, Mirko Sobe

Title Keystroke Required

-------------- ---------------------

- Missile Command by Atari CTRL-T

- Slime by Synapse [T]

- Shanghai by Activision choose controller type: ST mouse ! (plug it into port 2; if you do not have one, you have to reboot!!)

- Bombdown by Roemer of Uno choose between Joystick, Amiga mouse, ST mouse or CX85 numeric keypad (use port 2 for any mice)

- Minesweeper by Raindorf-Soft use an ST mouse in port 2

- The Brundles by KE-Soft use an ST mouse in port 2

- The Brundles Editor by KE-Soft, PD use an ST mouse in port 2

- Geisterschloss by KE-Soft, PD choose Lightgun (port 1) or ST mouse (port 2)

- Vanish (ZONG, Vol. 5+6/1993); use an ST-mouse in port 2

- Hong Kong (ZONG, Vol. 5+6/1993); use an ST-mouse in port 2

- Maus-DOS (ZONG 5+6/1993); use an ST-mouse in port 2

- Faecher-Patience (ZONG 1/1993); use an ST-mouse in port 2

- Macao (Zong 5+6/1994); use an ST-mouse in port 2

- Multi-Mouse manager (PD) drivers for mice, TB, etc.

- Multiplayer 2.1 by Madteam supports ST + Amiga mouse in port A

- Unriagh I (german PD adventure) has drivers for ST mouse+Joystick (stick=port 1, mouse=port2)

- Unriagh II (german PD adventure) has drivers for ST mouse+joystick (stick=port 1, mouse=port 2)

- little Calculator (AMC-Verlag, PD) uses ST-mouse only (port 2)

- big UPN calculator (PD) uses ST mouse, TB, Touch tab. and joystick; (there are different COM files, rename the one you wish to use to *.EXE; all drivers use port 1 - if I remember correctly)

- Operation Blood (ANG/Mirage) press mouse fire or Select to start in ST mouse mode (port 2)

- Operation Blood 2 / Special Forces press mouse fire or Select to start (ANG/Mirage) in ST mouse mode

- Sprint XL (ABBUC Jahresgabe 1992) uses an ST mouse in port 2

- M.O.S. (ABBUC magazine) uses an ST mouse in port 2

- Diamond GOS (Reeve software) all three versions support an ST mouse in port 2

- S.A.M. (Power per Post) german GUI, supports an ST mouse in port 2

- G.O.E. (TCS) supports an ST mouse in port 1

- BOSS-X (MS-Software, Mirko Sobe) supports ST-Mouse in Port 2

Missing in this list are a.o. Mines! and Rotor II

AFAIK the emulator used in the 400 mini is based on the open source Atari800 emulator and that emulator does support the use of a mouse.

From the info on Github:

- Paddles, Atari touch tablet, Koala pad, light pen, light gun, ST/Amiga mouse, Atari trak-ball, joystick and Atari 5200 analog controller emulated using mouse.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Gory-Glory said:

1979 was before most people even knew what a mouse was or why they'd want one.   Apple introduced one in 1983, I think.   But it wasn't until after the Mac came out in 84 that the mouse-and-GUI paradigm started to take off

Apple famously copied the mouse and GUI from Xerox PARC, which was an experimental design

Edited by zzip

5 minutes ago, Gory-Glory said:

zzip >>> Okey so computer mouse was introduced by Apple in 1983

Technically, circa 1963 for the Mother of All Demos by Douglas Engelbart and then in practical use by Xerox in business environments in the 70s. For home use, it was again Xerox with a 1981 mouse, but it really didn't start to be given much notice until Apple's Lisa launch in 1983.

Of course, many 8-bit computers and beyond did eventually get mice of their own in one form or another. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Technically, circa 1963 for the Mother of All Demos by Douglas Engelbart and then in practical use by Xerox in business environments in the 70s. For home use, it was again Xerox with a 1981 mouse, but it really didn't start to be given much notice until Apple's Lisa launch in 1983.

I didn't realize Xerox made a home version.   I remember seeing an Apple II mouse in magazines at the time being hailed as a "revolutionary" interface device,  but looking at just the still pictures, it wasn't even obvious what it did or how it worked.  I know that sounds crazy now ("you push it around to move the cursor on the screen,  duh!"),  but looking at the photo, all you saw was a weird looking box with buttons, and it wasn't obvious that it could be pushed around! 

18 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Of course, many 8-bit computers and beyond did eventually get mice of their own in one form or another. 

If you think about it, mice back then were little more than upside-down trackballs,  and lots of examples of trackball use in the 70s and 80s.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2024 at 10:54 AM, zzip said:

Apple famously copied the mouse and GUI from Xerox PARC, which was an experimental design

I really wouldn't call it experimental by the time Apple copied it. The Alto was out in 1973, and the Star was out in 1981. By the time of the Star, it was a very mature hardware and software system, and many features from it didn't appear in Macs or Windows until years later. Early Mac and Windows systems were rather immature by comparison. The Lisa was more mature, but expensive and subsequently unsuccessful. So, we didn't really see those features until they finally made it to Macs and Windows.

FYI -

Just now playing with my A400 -mini but I have found that the PS1 Classic controller from the PS 1 Mini works wonderfully with this system.  

Great control and it appears to have most if not all buttons mapped correctly to it rather than lacking a menu button.

This is the same controller I had a lot of success with on the Atari GSP.

• Thanks 1