IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

15 hours ago, aeberbach said:

Despite being very small, it contains Violence! Only "Very Mild" though so that's OK.

Thus it becomes your duty to up the level of violence. Fire up some Commando, shoot everything and anything that moves, blast them with grenades, and walk right by all your desperate comrades imprisoned in the secret areas, leaving them there to rot and die.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Honestly with using a PS4 controller, all my problems with control went away.     With so many options to use modern controllers to replace the pack in controller, it is an easy fix.    

Hi John, I watched your video review and your concerns regarding the CX40. My 400 mini came yesterday and I played some hours on it. And yes, I noticed problems especially in games that have many diagonal movements: Bruce Lee and Fort Apocalypse for example. On my joystick the diagonal movements to the left were the problem. On the right side it was better. In Miner 2049 I was moving from right to left - no diagonal push on the CX40 - and surprisingly my miner took the first ladder down. That is awful. But on the other side I didn't notice problems in approximated 90 percent of my tested games. After a while I had the impression that the problem is the way I push the joystick. If I concentrated on doing it softly the problems were less noticable. This way I made it through Fort Apocalypse with - or despite - this news CX40. As you mentioned most of us have other controller options. I like the old PS2 controller (via adapter) as an alternative. But to be honest I was so looking forward to finally having an usb CX40. I want to play most of these old games with a joystick. It's not only nostalgia but also the best option for so many games. That's why I hope that atgames will fix the problems in future manufacturing or that there will be other usb joysticks from other manufacturers.

• Like 1

After half a day using the 400 mini there are two aspects that I like the most in comparison to my C64 mini:

1. The option to configure the controller or joystick inside the ui is awesome. For my C64 mini this is so much trial & error via PC.

2. The 400 mini is instantly off when connected to power. So I can let it be connected to my tv usb. If I do this with my C64 mini the device would boot every time I power on my tv. Atgames later had a better solution for the C64 maxi. This device has a power switch, not a power button. And another important improvement: The 400 mini is really off. The connected usb stick stays cold. On my C64 mini the usb stick is heated even in status off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deffroe said:

It looks like its possible our orders could arrive today.  Just been on Amazon to see if it was available or sold out.  Still in stock and available for delivery by 10pm today.

image.thumb.png.4b52a0a5fbc15e0933f6c4df0c0ba12f.png

Got to love Amazon, I ordered it from Amazon UK on the day it was announced and my delivery moved out to Saturday 30th , and then back to tomorrow (Friday 29th) 
Absolutely no benefit to ordering early it seems 🙄

One question to the lucky people that have received theirs, can the CX stick be plugged in to any port and still be used to access the menu etc?
I would like to plug in my Syzygy USB CX-40 into port one which is only 1 button

Also, anyone tried Robotron:2048? can you use two sticks?

Thanks 

Hi,

while i'm waiting for my 400 to arrive i may ask a question.

has the 400 bluetooth build in? Or how would a PS4 Controller have been connected? I would like to use my Atari VCS Joysticks wireless?

Kind Regards

Rom

1 hour ago, Romuluz said:

Hi,

while i'm waiting for my 400 to arrive i may ask a question.

has the 400 bluetooth build in? Or how would a PS4 Controller have been connected? I would like to use my Atari VCS Joysticks wireless?

Kind Regards

Rom

My go-to for systems like this (and Polymega, etc.) is to use the 8Bitdo Adapter 2. I use them with Xbox controllers, but they also work with PS and Switch controllers. You pair your choice of controller with the adapter on your PC and then it stays paired, so I can move it from system to system.

• Like 2

This is the first time I've had any Amazon UK weirdness.  I pre-ordered my 400 mini when it first appeared on Amazon.  I thought I'd paid for it, but obviously had not and the delivery date was set back to Saturday.  Then, VERY early this morning I saw the 400 mini was now available - buy now for delivery by 5pm today.  WTF?  So why was mine gonna take until Saturday? 

So I cancelled my original order, reordered for today and it's due for delivery any time in the next few hours.  Can't wait.  😃

3 hours ago, Pac-Man Senior said:

Hi John, I watched your video review and your concerns regarding the CX40. My 400 mini came yesterday and I played some hours on it. And yes, I noticed problems especially in games that have many diagonal movements: Bruce Lee and Fort Apocalypse for example. On my joystick the diagonal movements to the left were the problem. On the right side it was better. In Miner 2049 I was moving from right to left - no diagonal push on the CX40 - and surprisingly my miner took the first ladder down. That is awful. But on the other side I didn't notice problems in approximated 90 percent of my tested games. After a while I had the impression that the problem is the way I push the joystick. If I concentrated on doing it softly the problems were less noticable. This way I made it through Fort Apocalypse with - or despite - this news CX40. As you mentioned most of us have other controller options. I like the old PS2 controller (via adapter) as an alternative. But to be honest I was so looking forward to finally having an usb CX40. I want to play most of these old games with a joystick. It's not only nostalgia but also the best option for so many games. That's why I hope that atgames will fix the problems in future manufacturing or that there will be other usb joysticks from other manufacturers.

Which adapter do you use to connect your original controller to usb?

47 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

This is the first time I've had any Amazon UK weirdness.  I pre-ordered my 400 mini when it first appeared on Amazon.  I thought I'd paid for it, but obviously had not and the delivery date was set back to Saturday.  Then, VERY early this morning I saw the 400 mini was now available - buy now for delivery by 5pm today.  WTF?  So why was mine gonna take until Saturday? 

So I cancelled my original order, reordered for today and it's due for delivery any time in the next few hours.  Can't wait.  😃

yeah, seems a bit random as to when you get delivery, a friend of mine that lives about 15 miles from me ordered before me, but his delivery is still Saturday

4 minutes ago, mimo said:

yeah, seems a bit random as to when you get delivery, a friend of mine that lives about 15 miles from me ordered before me, but his delivery is still Saturday

It's 8 stops away apparently, so I'm fairly confident I will get it today.  I'm glad I cancelled my original order and reordered again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

It's 8 stops away apparently, so I'm fairly confident I will get it today.  I'm glad I cancelled my original order and reordered again.

Amazon are weird indeed.

I ordered as soon as I could, took payment a few days ago.

Delivery was set to Saturday, then Friday, now between 2:30 and 4:30 today!

• Like 1

I ordered mine from coolshop.co.uk so will be arriving later than the amazon crowd I guess, but it was £10 cheaper.

At least it's not in the Netherlands anymore, got to Basildon at 9am but still with Fedex and they have to handoff to Royal mail who will probably take a week to deliver a 48 tracked parcel.

• Haha 1

My first impressions regarding PAL/NTSC as an European user.

The sound is good! I am very happy that it is not as bad as the cheap unix devices that have to use an older version of the Libretro core 800 (but we still don't know which emulator the 400 mini is using). Sadly there is no stereo support.

I have set up mine in 50hz (PAL mode) and all of the included games work fine and display the correct screen size when an European built-in game is selected (for example Henry's House and Elektra Glide). Sadly this is not the case when you load PAL-games from USB. The speed is correct and the emulation is in PAL (Inside by Spektra does not crash and Draconus has no flickering) but the screen is missing some of the extra lines many PAL games are using. There is a kind of work around for this, by setting the Display Height and Display Width to maximum and the Vertical Offset to minimum in the Game Settings menu, but even then some of the lines are still missing.

standard_settings.thumb.jpg.5396925bb66c47b44f538eea7bcd21b1.jpg

standard screen settings

max_settings.thumb.jpg.f59417bb6d77dd0feace5641fa05b929.jpg

max width & height, lowest vertical offset. More of the border is visible.

I have noticed some input  lag, but the lag was much less when I changed my TV to game mode.

I am not really a fan of the included joystick. Maybe it is just my copy, but when playing (Bruce) Lee the controls are so much tighter than I am used to when playing this game on real hardware and a vintage joystick. Especially when I push the joystick right it often detects that the joystick is pushed down, when it really is not. As others already mentioned, it is also very easy to accidentally press the ring buttons. I will solve these problems by making a modification so normal 9 pin joysticks can be used.

As for wireless keyboards and controllers, every one that comes with its own USB dongle will probably work fine. My wireless USB keyboard and cheap controllers (with their own dongles) work perfectly.

But all in all a very nice toy to play with 😃

400mini1.thumb.jpg.7ac2ee276c1689fe665127e0f7dc6ba3.jpg

AfbeeldingvanWhatsAppop2024-03-28om16_25.45_94d1f762.thumb.jpg.64da488d6eeb1545b3ec7a4f0c6fa542.jpg

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got mine two hours ago.

Up till now i can say:

-Emulation must be an old Version of Atari800 as the sound is not good

-But seems not be the standard Libretro Core as i could play Bosconian and GTIAblast with it (both 512K Games)

-Cartridge Files from USB must have a Header.

-As for 5200 Emulation: Kangaroo and Pole Position, i had Issues with the Joystick. Both not Playable. Have not tested Asteroids yet.

-Often i have a strange buzzing noise, when emulation starts. But not with all games.

But all in all, i like it very much, still there is room for improvement.

• Like 1