IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

6 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Does the keyboard work? :D

You can connect one. But FujiNet? 

Five USB ports

Five USB ports support the connection of joysticks, gamepads, USB sticks and keyboards.

Edited by MichaG

4 minutes ago, MichaG said:

You can connect one. But FujiNet? 

Wasn't really thinking of Fujinet. My guess is there's no full implementation of SIO so Fujinet wouldn't work

Would be cool if the keyboard actually worked, even if it feels terrible like the original. It's pretty cheap to mass produce snap dome with vinyl overlay buttons.

• Like 2

This is awesome news.  I'm glad it supports external keyboards.  I look forward to seeing if hobbyists can expand its functionality.  I'm thinking - what devices can be hooked up via usb to support R: device or printer.  Whether it is a USB connection to a PC, but anyway...so cool, I will pick one up for certain.

• Like 1

Maybe @Ben from Plaion can help? 

And if he needs a UK beta tester I'm available 😁

1 minute ago, mimo said:

Sign me up!

I guess that when they say "Lee" they mean non copyright infringing "Bruce Lee"?

Edited by mimo

4 minutes ago, mimo said:

Maybe @Ben from Plaion can help? 

And if he needs a UK beta tester I'm available 😁

Hey, Ben is still in the deep end on the Atari 2600+ 🤣 ... we will def get you some answers from Atari/Plaion/Retro Games as questions pile up. I think there is an interesting blend here of more straightforward mini-console with some extension to allow for more advance uses (USB, SD slot, etc). I;m not the expert, but I'll get an expert into this thread ... 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, xrbrevin said:

coo...

youtube link

doesnt say how much dough though!

Reports are $119.99.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... The previous Atari regime was rather tone deaf, but this current regime seems to genuinely understand the market (and reasonable products).

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Wasn't really thinking of Fujinet. My guess is there's no full implementation of SIO so Fujinet wouldn't work

Would be cool if the keyboard actually worked, even if it feels terrible like the original. It's pretty cheap to mass produce snap dome with vinyl overlay buttons.

They never work on these minis. They're way too small and would add to the cost. I'm sure if this is successful, much like TheC64 mini that was followed by TheC64 Maxi with full keyboard, a full-size THE800 would be logical. 

• Like 9

23 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

Well, it is about time that the Atari 8bit get some representation! I am just curious on how they were able to secure a license to make these since Atari is on a new strategic path.

Indeed! 8-bit has been on our wish list (games, hardware ... ) we 've been plotting this with Plaion and Retro games for a while, excited to see it is near the finish line.

• Like 8

Based on the name, I'm guessing that they don't have a license for the hardware, and have only licensed the games.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're not even using the original OS.  I would expect a Pi-class machine inside the case.

Frankly, I 'm much more impressed with the team working on the same idea in an 800XL recreation, but I'm concerned that they're taking a long time to get it out.

• Like 1

I am not the target audience for this hardware -- I did not have an Atari 8-bit growing up and Altirra is adequate for my needs -- but I am very happy to see that the current incarnation of Atari is actively pursuing the retro customer.  

24 minutes ago, pcrow said:

Based on the name, I'm guessing that they don't have a license for the hardware, and have only licensed the games.  I wouldn't be surprised if they're not even using the original OS.  I would expect a Pi-class machine inside the case.

Based on the Commodore products, this will be legally licensed and have the Atari OS, etc. (and we already know that it is, so the point is moot) And of course it's just an emulation box. There's zero wrong with that, as you're not going to hit a mass market price point any other way, plus they have more control over how things work, etc. For the price, this will no doubt be an excellent product, just like their previous products. It obviously won't be for purists, but then purists aren't the main target audience. 

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, pcrow said:

Based on the name, I'm guessing that they don't have a license for the hardware, and have only licensed the games.

But it does have the Atari logo on there and the fine print says that "THE400" is a trademark of Atari Interactive, Inc. So maybe they're just using the same naming convention they used with TheC64?

8 minutes ago, remowilliams said:
1 hour ago, Philsan said:

Which emulator?

Ideal would be Altirra, but that's not going to happen.

It says "Rewind your gameplay at any time by up to 30 seconds to help you get through those difficult levels!" - so it's definitely not Altirra.

• Like 5