IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

54 minutes ago, MarquisDeSang said:

1 Arrow pointing at a crack in the joystick.

3 Arrows pointing at nothing visible

This is not proof, but speculations.

Are they real buttons or a typo on their webpage?

Imaginary buttons are not enough for me.

Nothing imaginary - the 7 buttons plus fire and stick are there just as stated, and shown...

https://retrogames.biz/products/thecxstick/

sTeVE

Edited by Jetboot Jack
added url

I assume the extra buttons would map to common keyboard keys?

Start / Select Option

Space Bar (Pause in many games)

1,2,3,4  -  Needed by Miner 2049er to operate the lifts.

Return - some games use this

Sounds like more than 8 buttons may be required?

I genuinely don't understand you @MarquisDeSang it seems perfectly clear how the stick functions, and where the extra buttons are, as @Albert has said...

And from that URL:

Access game functions through the unique four-position button ring

Additional action and function buttons discretely incorporated into the corner and rear

Edited by Jetboot Jack
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, zzip said:

I assume the extra buttons would map to common keyboard keys?

Start / Select Option

Space Bar (Pause in many games)

1,2,3,4  -  Needed by Miner 2049er to operate the lifts.

Return - some games use this

Sounds like more than 8 buttons may be required?

Just like TheC64 mini you use the onscreen keyboard (useless for miner 2049'er IMHO) maybe, or like the A500 mini you can create custom mappings whenever you like for whatever game you like?

12 minutes ago, MarquisDeSang said:

You must have super powers, because I don’t see them.

Am I supposed to believe things I cannot see?

We will see soon as the product release.
If you are right, I will build a shrine in your honour on top of the highest mountain of my land.

Are you trolling?  Because that's what it feels like now. The product pages clearly state there are eight buttons. Four of them are on the ring around the joystick. The other four buttons are very clearly visible in the photos. 

..Al

7 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Just like TheC64 mini you use the onscreen keyboard (useless for miner 2049'er IMHO) maybe, or like the A500 mini you can create custom mappings whenever you like for whatever game you like?

Well Miner2049er is a confirmed included game, so hopefully they don't force users to do custom mappings to play it :)

39 minutes ago, zzip said:

Well Miner2049er is a confirmed included game, so hopefully they don't force users to do custom mappings to play it :)

IIRC, in previously released Atari collections, I think the lifts in Miner were operated by just pushing up or down on the control and you would just go to the next lift up or down.  Ex. stand in lift 1 at the bottom, push up to go to lift 2, then up to go to lift 3 or down to go back to lift 1.  I haven't played it in my Atari 50 or Flashback cartridge or console yet.

39 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

Ex. stand in lift 1 at the bottom, push up to go to lift 2, then up to go to lift 3 or down to go back to lift 1.  I haven't played it in my Atari 50 or Flashback cartridge or console yet.

That would mean a time penalty which could be deadly in M2049.

Okay lets clear things up. @Albert he isn't trolling. I didn't see it either until I understood they are hidden. Perhaps he has never taken apart a CX40?

@MarquisDeSang the 4 buttons are the 4 controller directions! They are not visible. If you took apart a controller you will see UNDER the joystick handle there are indeed 4 buttons. North, South, East, West. I don't ever recall someone saying these are buttons until this mini 400 though. If we are going down this route, then the ORIGINAL Atari joystick has 5 buttons!

2 minutes ago, donjn said:

Okay lets clear things up. @Albert he isn't trolling. I didn't see it either until I understood they are hidden. Perhaps he has never taken apart a CX40?

@MarquisDeSang the 4 buttons are the 4 controller directions! They are not visible. If you took apart a controller you will see UNDER the joystick handle there are indeed 4 buttons. North, South, East, West. I don't ever recall someone saying these are buttons until this mini 400 though. If we are going down this route, then the ORIGINAL Atari joystick has 5 buttons!

This is wrong. The new joystick has buttons on the outer RING. The ring is decorative on the original VCS controllers, but here they added 4 small discrete buttons ON the ring. The joystick motion doesn't count. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, donjn said:

Well, he continues to assert that we are all wrong, even when it's been clearly explained repeatedly where the eight buttons are.

7 minutes ago, donjn said:

No, this is not correct, the buttons are under the ring.  Has nothing to do with the joystick itself and the "buttons" that are used for the four cardinal directions of the joystick. 

..Al

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

Well, he continues to assert that we are all wrong, even when it's been clearly explained repeatedly where the eight buttons are.

No, this is not correct, the buttons are under the ring.  Has nothing to do with the joystick itself and the "buttons" that are used for the four cardinal directions of the joystick. 

..Al

I meant under the ring. So they are not visible.

10 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

This is wrong. The new joystick has buttons on the outer RING. The ring is decorative on the original VCS controllers, but here they added 4 small discrete buttons ON the ring. The joystick motion doesn't count. 

But we still haven't seen a clear picture of those buttons yet. Someone keeps linking images, but I don't see the 4 buttons either. I just see the ring.

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

Are you all saying there are four buttons UNDER the orange ring that are not visible, and a user is supposed to know they are there?

9 minutes ago, donjn said:

So the four button are under these spots? Makes no sense.

5.jpg

image.thumb.png.1b900967339905fe711ff83433a965d6.png

So that's 4, right. Then there's an additional 3, which gives us 7. The big orange/red original style button is 8:

image.thumb.png.1b136de33235e63f59d4b1638425a2e7.png

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockymin said:

IIRC, in previously released Atari collections, I think the lifts in Miner were operated by just pushing up or down on the control and you would just go to the next lift up or down.  Ex. stand in lift 1 at the bottom, push up to go to lift 2, then up to go to lift 3 or down to go back to lift 1.  I haven't played it in my Atari 50 or Flashback cartridge or console yet.

That would be great,  I guess I'll try it out in Atari 50

• Like 1

Yes I need to see this to believe it.

Those don't have anything to PRESS INWARD at all which means they are touch sensitive.

Considering you will be moving the joystick around and the rest of your hand rests on the ring you could accidentally press one of the 4 ring buttons.

Edited by donjn

8 minutes ago, José Pereira said:

To move as if a 'keypress' and not moving the stick... two pressed at the same time be diagonal?

Let's make it super simple. Let's pretend the joystick doesn't exist. The yellow/orange ring, instead of being just decorative raised plastic, is actually pressable on the top, bottom, left, and right, each acting as a button press. 

In this image I removed the joystick for clarity and circled what you would press to activate each of the four (of seven new) functions, respectively.

image.png.cb2a36feac83092ac278160507316965.png

Edited by Bill Loguidice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GenXGrownup did a video of 10 games you should try out in your 400 Mini, and I got to be honest, I had never heard of some of them. I need to spend more time playing the 8-bit computers I guess.

They also did a video after the announcement if anybody wants to watch that one.

He is a huge 8-bit computer fan, which is nice seeing videos from people who are actually fans of the consoles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1