IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

5 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

Reading about it, it sounds like other controllers will be usable with the 400.  I'm in.  I just preordered from Amazon.

It's probably a bit hit or miss like with the Commodore versions of these products. For instance, I have a USB adapter that replicates some of the functions of the included joystick with THEC64 because I really didn't care for that joystick. I'm more optimistic about this design, so I hope I don't have to use something else.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, donjn said:

Yes. And? This was me admitting I am wrong.

But no one ever does that right? I wonder why...

This thread is moving fast, people are responding to posts a page or two back while new posts are showing up.   Give people time to catch up 

1 minute ago, zzip said:

This thread is moving fast, people are responding to posts a page or two back while new posts are showing up.   Give people time to catch up 

Actually he responded to my final point. The "Yes. And?" part really pissed me off, I need to take a break.
I was using reflective listening to help people make their point and PROVE MYSELF WRONG, and I get a "Yes, And"? Sorry, I'm pissed.

1 minute ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

US preorders for the 400 Mini are opening in the next 15 minutes ... https://link.atari.com/THE400-Mini
Our supplies for launch are limited ... although we will get more and I think Plain will eventually add sales via Amazon.

But for the near-term, atari.com is goign to be your only option.

I preordered at Amazon US:

https://www.amazon.com/THE400-Mini-Not-Machine-Specific/dp/B0CS3VD9TJ

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

US preorders for the 400 Mini are opening in the next 15 minutes ... https://link.atari.com/THE400-Mini
Our supplies for launch are limited ... although we will get more and I think Plain will eventually add sales via Amazon.

But for the near-term, atari.com is goign to be your only option.

I preordered from Amazon too.  You're also able to preorder from retrogames.biz   Will these preorders be invalid now?

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 4:04 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

Input Lag and display lag always suck so much, mere mortals can't suck it enough to overcome the anguish resulting for it

I've managed to match some of my high scores (albeit very modest ones)  on a SNES Classic running Atari Emulation. Maybe partly due to having a near flawless controller. 

46 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

I preordered from Amazon too.  You're also able to preorder from retrogames.biz   Will these preorders be invalid now?

Ssorry if I created confusion. I thought retrogames was only taking EU orders .. all those preorders remain valid ... They got Amazon up sooner than we expected ... good news ... the more places to purchase the better

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donjn said:

Actually he responded to my final point. The "Yes. And?" part really pissed me off, I need to take a break.
I was using reflective listening to help people make their point and PROVE MYSELF WRONG, and I get a "Yes, And"? Sorry, I'm pissed.

My apologies if you took my "Yes. And?" the wrong way. You made the point you're saying you made poorly, so it was extremely unclear. I'll be more considerate in my responses to you in the future knowing your situation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

My apologies if you took my "Yes. And?" the wrong way. You made the point you're saying you made poorly, so it was extremely unclear. I'll be more considerate in my responses to you in the future knowing your situation.

I don't have a "situation". We are fine. Its all good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It's probably a bit hit or miss like with the Commodore versions of these products. For instance, I have a USB adapter that replicates some of the functions of the included joystick with THEC64 because I really didn't care for that joystick. I'm more optimistic about this design, so I hope I don't have to use something else.

Did you buy the C64 Mini or Maxi?

The C64 Maxi comes with an upgraded joystick with micro-switches.  It's a good enough stick.  Although, my personal favorite is the Mayflash Universal Arcade Stick F500 V2 ... which works like a treat with it.  So, I'm expecting the Mayflash arcade sticks shall likewise work with the Atari 400 Mini.

I have fond memories of the CX-40 stick from my late 70's Atari VCS ... my first introduction to home gaming.  Which preceded my first home computer, the C64.

Just now, Rockymin said:

The product page says it supports external keyboards and other USB devices.  So I wonder if Star Raiders would work if we added it ourselves and connected a keyboard.  This will be fun to play with I think.

That's how it works on the other Commodore-based products, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work here. Frankly, it would have been shocking for them to include games that weren't optimized for the single included joystick. Enthusiasts can add keyboards, etc., to improve their personal experience.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sundance8 said:

Did you buy the C64 Mini or Maxi?

The C64 Maxi comes with an upgraded joystick with micro-switches.  It's a good enough stick.  Although, my personal favorite is the Mayflash Universal Arcade Stick F500 V2 ... which works like a treat with it.  So, I'm expecting the Mayflash arcade sticks shall likewise work with the Atari 400 Mini.

I have fond memories of the CX-40 stick from my late 70's Atari VCS ... my first introduction to home gaming.  Which preceded my first home computer, the C64.

I have all three, the Mini, Maxi, and Amiga one. Try as I might, I was never a particular fan of the beloved Competition Pro/Speedlink-style stick, and certainly didn't like how it was implemented on THEC64. 

Based on the product page, this will be cross-compatible with the Commodore stuff and also many other USB-based controllers, so I don't anticipate an issue whatever one's preference. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rockymin said:

The product page says it supports external keyboards and other USB devices.  So I wonder if Star Raiders would work if we added it ourselves and connected a keyboard.  This will be fun to play with I think.

I'll let you know when I have my hands on a 400 Mini (soon!), that'll be one of the first games I play.  :)

..Al

• Like 5

How will the Atari 400 Mini implement 5200 games, give the system had analog joysticks?  Whilst the included CX-40 replica stick is digital.

Please bear with me, if I'm missing something.  The only prior Atari product I've owned (apart from Atarisoft titles on the C64), was my fondly remembered late 70's Atari VCS.

Edited by sundance8

1 minute ago, sundance8 said:

How will the Atari 400 Mini implement 5200 games, give the system had analog joysticks?  Whilst the included CX-40 replica stick is digital.

Please bear with me, if I'm missing something.  The only prior Atari product I've owned, was my fondly remembered late 70's Atari VCS.

Even back in the day there were adapters that allowed digital Atari-style joysticks to be used with the system. Some games work just fine with digital rather than analog controls. What we don't know yet is whether there will be any analog support or any other support for alternative control methods (like mouse instead of 5200 trackball). Presumably, since this is emulation-based, that all should be possible. Whether it's enabled like that out of the box or will require a future firmware update or some type of hack remains to be seen of course.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, remowilliams said:

I can tell in a fraction of a second that is the wrong (i.e. PAL) speed  : D

Yeah, I immediately picked up on that as well, but that was one of the better renditions of the music that started right away when I was looking at videos.  Feel free to link another that doesn't have the music playing slowly. :D

..Al