IGNORED

THE400 Mini

pseudografx

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Yeah, my guess is it won't support mice for the initial version, but support could probably be added.  I'd just want to see support for regular USB mice, no need to really make it more complicated by using an ST or Amiga mouse. 

..Al

If it supports USB mice, then it should support USB trakballs that they have for PCs.  That would give you a better trakball experience.  I believe Logitech and Kensington make them.

Edited by Rockymin
  • Like 1

For those still unsure about the new THECXSTICK layout for 7 buttons, plus fire functionality...

The400 Mini will also work with THEGAMEPAD from the same company - where the 8 buttons plus d-pad layout is perhaps easier to appreciate - https://retrogames.biz/products/thegamepad/ & listed as compatible here https://retrogames.biz/products/the400-mini/

sTeVE

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gory-Glory said:

Okey it serms that we can not connect an usb-mouse to 400 Mini. It is okey, then I only buy a wired keyboard an extra joystick or if The A500 GamePad works with 400 Mini.

I have a wired Xbox 360 controller and The C64 Joystick to my A500 Mini and it works fine, but A500 GamePad works best.

Do you think that it will work to play two player games on 400 Mini.

I have connected two gamepads to my a500 mini and two player works not, nothing happens with player twos gamepad, so a500 mini seems not to support two player games, only one player games.

As long as we do not know which emulator/core The400 will use, nobody can say exactly what the possibilities are....

On 1/12/2024 at 2:01 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

I never heard people say "C64" until this century, either -- it was usually "64", and that stuck around when the 128 was introduced.

Uh, what?  I can tell you many people I knew in the years 1989 to 1992 would call it a "C64."  Mostly because on the BBSes and in demos it would be called a "C=64," but no one actually pronounce the equal sign.  Now, for us the Commodore 128 definitely was a "128."

All about the syllables, baby: "one-twen-ty-eight" or "see-six-ty-four."  Three syllables, no good.  Four syllables, just flows.

Anyway.  I like the idea of an mini system which supports 5200.  I desperately want to play 5200 games, but the console is huuuuuge and takes up too much room on my entertainment stand.  I envision the 400 Mini giving rise to a full-size, but in the form of the XEGS.  Would be nice.

But, being it is only sold on Amazon, I am out of the game until there is a second source.

14 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

Had not seen that.  The link posted by someone else sent me to a 404.  Soooo, yeah, this works for me.  Thank you.

EDIT: Now I am actually kind-a mad... I did not know there were other limited edition carts available, and a couple of them I would have liked to grab.  If I want them in the future, I will have to pay through the pee pee hole for them. 😠

On 1/26/2024 at 3:48 AM, Jetboot Jack said:

For those still unsure about the new THECXSTICK layout for 7 buttons, plus fire functionality...

The400 Mini will also work with THEGAMEPAD from the same company - where the 8 buttons plus d-pad layout is perhaps easier to appreciate - https://retrogames.biz/products/thegamepad/ & listed as compatible here https://retrogames.biz/products/the400-mini/

sTeVE

I'm hoping for an original trackball!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flashback said:

:(

It shouldn't really be a frowny face. None of the other minis (from the same company or otherwise, Nintendo, Sega, NEC, etc., included) have moveable components, let alone the space for extra features. They're decorative pieces that resemble the original hardware running software emulation.

One of the official photos gives a good idea of why doing more is impractical. That's a regular-sized joystick:

image.thumb.png.303157474d4a4519e2381ef664cd9e9d.png

Even THEC64 Maxi only adds a working keyboard over the Mini version:

product-image

If you want extra features like cartridge ports, original-style interfaces, etc., you really have to move up to expensive small-run enthusiast systems or (often) even more expensive FPGA-based systems. These mass market plug and play devices rely on being reasonably priced to sell in the biggest quantities. There's room for all of these, original systems, FPGA-based, modern recreations, and simpler plug-and-plays. The latter will NEVER satisfy all of the needs of the hardcore enthusiasts, but they're GREAT for casual retro enthusiasts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bill Loguidice said:

It shouldn't really be a frowny face. None of the other minis (from the same company or otherwise, Nintendo, Sega, NEC, etc., included) have moveable components, let alone the space for extra features. They're decorative pieces that resemble the original hardware running software emulation.

The Sega Genesis minis do have cartridge ports with spring-loaded flaps, and removable expansion port covers. Of course, they don't have any real ports inside them. But they did sell limited quantities of decorative mini cartridges as well as the entire "tower of power" (Sega CD 1 & 2, and Sega 32X).

img_3096-3-2-e1571489641575.webp

sddefault.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

The Sega Genesis minis do have cartridge ports with spring-loaded flaps, and removable expansion port covers. Of course, they don't have any real ports inside them. But they did sell limited quantities of decorative mini cartridges as well as the entire "tower of power" (Sega CD 1 & 2, and Sega 32X).

Good point, but I suppose that counts as solely decorative rather than functional. And they (people) do make dummy disk inserts for the Amiga Mini (again, decorative):

A500 Mini / Amiga 500 Mini Floppy Disks / Discs image 3

16 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

sddefault.jpg

LOL, this reminds me when I was running a BBS on an Atari 800XL.

The cartridge port is on top of the computer, and I had a SpartaDOS X cartridge, R-Time 8 (clock) cartridge, and a Rev. C Atari BASIC cartridge all plugged into it.  This stack was rather precarious...  If I bumped the computer, there was a possibility it would crash due to the wobbly nature of this cartridge stack.  Wish I had a photo of that!

..Al

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, iamscuba2 said:

I kind of like the idea of the cassette deck as a USB stick, even though it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it does have a good aesthetic and actually has a functional purpose. Even though they're cool and seemingly look great, I'm not a personal fan of the mini cartridges, as I wouldn't want extra non-functional doo-dads about. With that said, I suppose it would be cool if someone was using the Mini mostly as a display piece. It will be interesting to see what other things people come up with, like maybe a USB hub that looks like the Atari 850.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Zoyous said:

sddefault.jpg

Well, someone elses opinion then…

image.gif.ce8b3802b93d06a21e5815fe279688e2.gif

• Haha 1

Its the same as THEA500 Mini, it uses the same carousel, it almost identical, it kind of a put off, a shame it don't have a different theme.

Because it uses the same carousel it will not be hackable, THEA500 carousel was not, and it will have 256 ram to and its a Allwinner H3, it as powerful as THEC64.

Its a clone of THEA500 Mini.

THEA500 Mini is a clone of THEA500 Mini.jpg

TheA500Mini Carousel.png

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spanner said:

Its the same as THEA500 Mini, it uses the same carousel, it almost identical, it kind of a put off, a shame it don't have a different theme.

Because it uses the same carousel it will not be hackable ...

There have been several applications to hack the carousel for some time.  Project Carousel USB Anniversary Edition does it and there are some other tools out there as well.

7 minutes ago, akator said:

There have been several applications to hack the carousel for some time.  Project Carousel USB Anniversary Edition does it and there are some other tools out there as well.

I am the creator of PCUAE... :) I am Spannernick, I use the same avatar everywhere... :)

Edited by Spanner
  • Like 1