IGNORED

New(ish) 7800 Games and Accessories announced by Atari and Plaion compatible with the 2600+

Ben from Plaion

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Noted. Who owns the IP?

Midnight Mutants and Alien Brigade were Atari 7800 exclusives, and never existed anywhere else.

Commando's 7800 rights might be owned by Capcom, because they did the original/Arcade, but I know back in the day Cartridge/home version rights were weird, and it was ported to everything under the sun.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

8 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Midnight Mutants and Alien Brigade were Atari 7800 exclusives, and never existed anywhere else.

Commando's 7800 rights might be owned by Capcom, because they did the original/Arcade, but I know back in the day Cartridge/home version rights were weird, and it was ported to everything under the sun.

I was a Mercs guy.

I do have a relationship with Capcom. But Im unsure the value of the deal will pass a threshold. I'll ask him though tomorrow.

Anything else Capcom published on 2600 /7800?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

My vote would be for 7800 Dark Chambers

Agreed.  That's another vote.

4 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yup, waiting for Age ratings to be confirmed 

Most excellent, Ben.

Edited by akator
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

Boom! That's 2 votes then!!

Make me three! Altho my 7800 library is so slim that pretty much anything other than Hat Trick would be a welcome addition. And I can't imagine Atari is working overtime to rerelease Hat Trick so I should be good!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I was a Mercs guy.

I do have a relationship with Capcom. But Im unsure the value of the deal will pass a threshold. I'll ask him though tomorrow.

Anything else Capcom published on 2600 /7800?

I don't believe that there were any other Capcom games on 2600 / 7800 but there was a homebrew version of 1942 that is supposed to be very good

• Like 3

Just now, Dr Karnov said:

homebrew version of 1942 that is supposed to be very good

It's incredibly good, and would make for a great new cartridge release for the 2600+/7800 if economically viable. Also, the homebrew Ghosts 'n Goblins appears inspired by Capcom.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

One game announcement has been held back as its being 'Enhanced' similar to Berzerk.

Hopefully this is simply the start of many more releases for the 2600+ and legacy systems

Any chance that game announcement might be Frenzy?  It would be cool to have that on the 2600.  Yes to more releases on the 2600+ & legacy systems.  Keep them coming.

34 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

This is another game I have held off buying in hope of a re-release. 🤞🏻

I've got the 2600 version of the Dark Chambers which I enjoy, and seeing some game-play (on YouTube) of the 7800 version it looks great and I'd love to get it too. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SabertoothRetro said:

I want to see Alien Brigade and Planet Smashers. Those two are currently unobtainium.

I wonder what the unannounced title is? 🤔

+1 for Planet Smashers. 🙂

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I don't believe that there were any other Capcom games on 2600 / 7800 but there was a homebrew version of 1942 that is supposed to be very good

Another vote for 1942. I love this game and it’s one of my favorite vertical shooters. This would be quite a win for the homebrew community to get an official license for it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Karnov said:

homebrew version of 1942 that is supposed to be very good

1942 for 7800 is fantastic. I compared it to C64 version and the homebrew is by far much much better. It plays like an arcade version. 

Edited by MarcinJ
  • Like 4

Me: *Finds it strange that people are requesting Dark Chambers*

Me: *Does cursory google and ebay searches of Dark Chambers for Atari 7800*

Me: *Shocked Pikachu Face*

When did the prices on Dark Chambers jump up so high? Of course the XEGS version is quite rare, but the 7800 version used to be a $15-20 game not long ago (maybe $25 CIB), and it's still not hard to find. Average asking price for a loose cart is about $50 now; insane. I can't imagine there's been that big an influx of new 7800 collectors in the last couple of years, but I could be wrong.

(Maybe it's been longer than I realize? 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2