IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

On 4/30/2024 at 3:47 PM, Sean_1970 said:

I will happily donate my 2600+ to a charity shop and get a new one before I do something silly like that. If I had any use for Windows I’d already have a Windows PC 😉

Not to beat a dead horse, but I don't understand this thinking. 

You're willing to spend another ~$140 on new 2600+, but not the same on a machine that will not only allow you to update the firmware on your existing 2600+, but do so in the future as they release further updated versions. And a machine that will also enable other possibilities you may not think about now, but might in the future. Remember, this is emulation. It's not like old consoles. Firmware updates are going to happen over time, like for just about everything that uses an operating system, both to fix issues, tweak things and enable new things. 

It's of note that I never see people saying, "I can't do that, as I have a Windows PC", but it's not unusual to see people saying, in so many words, "I can't do that, as I have a Mac." Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Macs. I have an M1 Mac Mini that is my main computer, but I also have Windows PCs for things I can't do on a Mac. Now I say PCs, as in plural, not because I need all of them, but because I collect mini PCs as a hobby. However, even if I didn't I would still have a Windows PC for things I can't do on my Mac. Using my old laser printer is one of them. My old PC games through Steam is another. 

I don't know if it's outright hatred for Windows PCs or what, but being willing to buy another 2600+ rather than spend roughly the same amount of money to update the one you have and be able to do so in the future makes zero sense to me.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gabe said:

You're willing to spend another ~$140 on new 2600+, but not the same on a machine that will not only allow you to update the firmware on your existing 2600+, but do so in the future as they release further updated versions. And a machine that will also enable other possibilities you may not think about now, but might in the future. Remember, this is emulation. It's not like old consoles. Firmware updates are going to happen over time, like for just about everything that uses an operating system, both to fix issues, tweak things and enable new things. 

It's of note that I never see people saying, "I can't do that, as I have a Windows PC", but it's not unusual to see people saying, in so many words, "I can't do that, as I have a Mac." Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against Macs. I have an M1 Mac Mini that is my main computer, but I also have Windows PCs for things I can't do on a Mac. Now I say PCs, as in plural, not because I need all of them, but because I collect mini PCs as a hobby. However, even if I didn't I would still have a Windows PC for things I can't do on my Mac. Using my old laser printer is one of them. My old PC games through Steam is another. 

I don't know if it's outright hatred for Windows PCs or what, but being willing to buy another 2600+ rather than spend roughly the same amount of money to update the one you have and be able to do so in the future makes zero sense to me.  

I don’t collect computers - heck I never intended to collect consoles either! I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say “no, I’m not interested in buying a general purpose computer to update a dedicated console when I already have a general purpose computer that does everything else I need a computer for and which I turn on twice a week at most.” Buying something I would actually use twice makes more sense to me than that. There are people on this board who own more than one 2600+, so I don’t get what is so odd about my position. Besides, the one thing I want this firmware to do, it doesn’t do, so I have no need to upgrade 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Agree 100%. Alas, in many cases it is simply a case of W.D.S. (Windows derangement Syndrome) where logic and common sense take a backseat! I love all platforms, I recognize the ups and downs of each as well as the place and dominance of each in the market, I may not always agree or approve, but it's simple reality, so I deal with it and use whatever is best for the task at hand. 🧐Some will simply do things in a less convenient or convoluted or even costlier way just to avoid a platform they don't like. 

scary-windows-monster-done-widen.png?w=1

1667743255_windows_11_sad.thumb.jpg.e3fc9fa05da4931a6e3815099317e304.jpg

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

Well it looks like Windows, Mac and even Linux updates will be catered to so all the Windows fanboys can calm down and stop clutching their pearls.

That’s not what the phrase “clutching their pearls” means.

nobody here is aghast or stunned by your comments. We’re laughing at you. Giggling even. 

• Like 5

Can someone give me a technical reason, why the touchpad doesn't work?  I am not entirely sure I get it, either the port can do I/O on every pin, or it can not.  Is this simply the emulator being lame about it?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Is this simply the emulator being lame about it?

Yes and no. Stella fully supports the Touchpad. But Libretro/Retroarch cannot handle it. 

Not sure if the 2600+ could handle it. But it can be updated too. 

• Like 2

On 5/16/2024 at 10:26 AM, CPUWIZ said:

Can someone give me a technical reason, why the touchpad doesn't work?  I am not entirely sure I get it, either the port can do I/O on every pin, or it can not.  Is this simply the emulator being lame about it?

I cannot find the post, but I remember reading it was something to do with whatever chip/library is handling I/O only being able to interpret CX-40 or CX-30 input, like if it doesn’t see what’s expected it bins it rather than pass it along. Ben had said in another thread he wasn’t sure if this could be fixed, though given talk elsewhere of an updated trackball, maybe? Unless of course a new trackball was limited to working like a joystick, in which case I’m not sure who would want it…

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 1:24 PM, Gabe said:

The thinking isn't logically based. People just get upset, then they get emotional about it - that's the whole use of most internet forums, to vent and fight with others over a shared topic, anyway. So you're gonna get more of that on forums and some people aren't gonna have a good take, or it's obvious to others that they could look at it a different way. It is what it is. I have used both, I love loved both and hated both at different times.

Currently, although I own several Apple products, I really dislike Apple because of their anti-consumer, tone deaf behavior since Tim took over. I really don't want to buy into anymore of their walled garden, 1000 dollars for a 256 GB memory update that should have been standard in 2024, shenanigans. But I still recognize they are a premier product manufacturer with a solid product, love em or hate em. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

I cannot find the post, but I remember reading it was something to do with whatever chip/library is handling I/O only being able to interpret CX-40 or CX-30 input, like if it doesn’t see what’s expected it bins it rather than pass it along. Ben had said in another thread he wasn’t sure if this could be fixed, though given talk elsewhere of an updated trackball, maybe? Unless of course a new trackball was limited to working like a joystick, in which case I’m not sure who would want it…

It's been a while since I've tried, but I can verify that the existing Trak-Ball does work in joystick mode... but, yeah, without true Trak-Ball ability, I hardly ever use it. I certainly wouldn't buy a new one that was so hampered.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2024 at 5:48 AM, Sean_1970 said:

Pretty simple: the game compatibility list wasn’t accurate and included Star Raiders. This wasn’t just my fave game as a teenager, but basically my “killer app” for the 2600+. I was jazzed to find an unopened, mint condition copy on eBay prior to receiving the 2600+ and massively disappointed that I couldn’t play it because apparently the only testing done was connect joystick and load cart.

I have to say disappointment for myself also. I would have enjoyed playing this on the 2600+.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

I have to say disappointment for myself also. I would have enjoyed playing this on the 2600+.

Hello, MrChikenz !

Look for the topic "PCUAE Atari2600+ USB Rom Loader" on the same  2600+ category as this one. Spanner has put together an amazing "suite" of alternative software for the 2600+ that loads from a standard USB Memory Stick connected via the internal Mini-USB port via an "OTG" cable (the same one you use to connect peripherals to your phone or tablet). It's very easy to get going, and you can run a special compilation of Stella, or even Retroarch (altough no "Select" or "Reset" buttons are support by RA right now). I tried it using a USB Hub and wireless 2.4 Ghz mouse in the "custom" Stella in cartridge mode. I've even bought a wireless mini-keyboard to use as auxiliary input, for configuration, reboot, etc..., and maybe Star Raiders too.

Hope It Helps !

P.S. :  I found a dirt cheap Star Raiders too, and probably will buy it (maybe rewire the keypad to work as Right Joystick, you only need 5 keys to play SR. I've used Right Joystick as extra buttons for Custom  Stella and Retroarch before).

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

@John Stamos Mulletwill be proud.  I procured a PC from a friend so I can make the update happen.  I'm wondering if the experimental firmware is the most up to date version or the last one @Ben from Plaion posted.  Which one should I do?

I would go with Experimental 1.1x-r2 Dumper 1.0.0.9

I myself have 1.1x-r2 Dumper 1.0.0.2. Installed. For me this runs two homebrews but I loose two original games Robot Tank and Time Pilot.

I’m just waiting for the official release.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 4:03 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes, there was a final build shared internally last week but there were a few regressions and they are being fixed and then released to public.

Is today the day of the Official Firmware release? Ben come in Ben!

IMG_0530.jpeg

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Is today the day of the Official Firmware release? Ben come in Ben!

IMG_0530.jpeg

I just got these three bad boys this morning!!!!!

dumper-052024-x-r1

update-052024-1.1x-r3

update-052024-1.1x-r3-debug

Edited by Ben from Plaion
made an error pasting an image that looked like downloadable links
  • Like 12

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I just got these three bad boys this morning!!!!!

dumper-052024-x-r1

update-052024-1.1x-r3

update-052024-1.1x-r3-debug

Don't keep us in suspense.. let's get them up here so we can try them out!!!

• Like 3