IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

9 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

If it goes unanswered, take it as a No!

I would assume no, until it's a yes for the 2600 Plus too. They could obviously launch the 7800 Plus with support and add to the 2600 Plus later, but that may be a bad look. Or does the new hardware just support it by default and the 2600 Plus will require software/firmware scorcery? Hmmmm. We will see how this unfolds.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, xeex said:

I read this a little differently. I think the DB9 and USB-A adapters are for wireless control only, and the USB-C port on the controllers is only for charging.

Yeah on careful re-read, there is a DB-9 wireless adapter (not a cable).  And there is a USB-A adapter.  Fine.  For whatever reason my mind read cables.  I think I was assuming the transceiver was just built into the 7800+.  But... net result it accomplishes same things I think.

Edit to say, "dongle" would be a clearer term than adapter, in US at least.

Edited by Brad_from_the_80s

Looks cool, and the wireless controllers. As I own a 2600+ thou, I probably won't be purchasing one. Unless my 2600+ fails.

Definitely buying the new game releases thou. 

Is it more powerful hardware, more capable than the 2600+?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

That’s why you have to rip it off like a band aid! So the question won’t keep popping up for the next year! Then when someone asks about it, the question is usually answered with the sound of crickets until someone like you finally responds with a sarcastic answer! 

At this point, I'm kind of hoping that Ben/Atari adjust the dumper so that when someone puts in a Star Raiders cart, this shows up after the LOADING GAME...

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

Now this I like! That would be fine with me! At Least we would have an answer!😆🤣😄

It would probably be better though if you let the official developers answer instead of Rick Ashley! Since you probably know as much as he does about this!😆🤣😁

The answer is, from the official developers - that they are working on it, that it is technically feasible but not yet worked out.

This answer has already been posted here, multiple times. I get that since this is a message board/forum, some things get lost in the mix. But this question has been asked and answered by those in the know so many times now it's ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The answer is, from the official developers - that they are working on it, that it is technically feasible but not yet worked out.

This answer has already been posted here, multiple times. I get that since this is a message board/forum, some things get lost in the mix. But this question has been asked and answered by those in the know so many times now it's ridiculous.

Naw....this is ridiculous...

*Sticks out tongue and crosses eyes*

!Mmmmmhuminimahiminahumina"!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

There are some differences, for one the 7800+ comes with the new cartridge socket (and so do newly manufactured 2600+) plus there are some changes to the dumper/controller chips and how they work. I'll be providing more details as we go along.

If I read this right there is an update to hardware for the 2600+? If I order from the Atari site this week am I guaranteed to get this new 2600+ hardware and software? Should I wait before committing? I have been looking at getting a 2600+ and still will be even thought the 7800+ was announced, I like the 2600 look more. I appreciate your time in answering all these questions very informational

11 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

But can it play roms?  Don't hit me bro!  🤪

• Haha 4

I think the pack-in choice was pretty good.  A strong nod to the homebrew community, brushed up a bit maybe, and in their best imitation of SMB (NES was the original competition after all).

How many opportunities does one have to still buy a brand new 8-bit console with a fun platformer pack-in to tide you over til Christmas/birthday, a la 8/16-bit era?  This along with the wireless and the sleek "modern" design, the system definitely has the potential to appeal a bit more broadly than just to old Atari "fahrts" this holiday season.  At the same time I appreciate that the 7800+ and 2600+ essentially remain at parity, although the 7800+ bundle may have more appeal in the near term.  Maybe they could update the 2600+ bundle as well.  Second controller or wireless option or different/add'l pack-in.

Speaking of pack-in though, since this is the Euro 7800 design, did they/could they enable the built-in Asteroids?

• Like 3