IGNORED

Atari 7800+ announced, along with 10 new games and 2 new controllers

Ben from Plaion

4 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

It will need it's own 7800 Plus forum like the 2600 Plus soon anyway, so yeah, that should be made right now. 

why split the group, keep everyone together. 

Welp ! I placed my order ! I grew up with the 7800. I gotta have a facimile of it. Pretty stoked ! Picked up the M-Network Bundle and Space Duel, gotta have Space Duel. 

The others I already have on my OG Frenzy so... 

• Like 1

Sorry I wasn't able to edit my last post so let me try again...

@Ben from Plaion If I read the announcement correct there is an update to hardware for the 2600+? If I order from the Atari site this week am I guaranteed to get this new 2600+ hardware and software? Should I wait before committing? I have been looking at getting a 2600+ for a while and still would like to get it even thought the 7800+ was just announced, I like the 2600 look more. I appreciate your time in answering all these questions very informational

8 minutes ago, T.Bone said:

@Ben from Plaion If I read the announcement correct there is an update to hardware for the 2600+? If I order from the Atari site this week am I guaranteed to get this new 2600+ hardware and software? Should I wait before committing? I have been looking at getting a 2600+ for a while and still would like to get it even thought the 7800+ was just announced, I like the 2600 look more. I appreciate your time in answering all these questions very informational

I mean I'm pretty sure the answer will be 1.) NO, and 2.) It has an improved slot mechanism

1 minute ago, Plumbob said:

@Ben from Plaion I noticed that the Atari website says that the Atari 7800+ Controller Mega Bundle comes with a wireless CX40+ joystick but is shown in the picture with a wire. Is this a mistake?IMG_1639.thumb.jpeg.6213bf44a46c76906b89354a6787ac32.jpeg

Oh man, I would have bought the mega pack if I knew the CX40+ would also be wireless

Sad Peanut Butter GIF by For Everest

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

I mean I'm pretty sure the answer will be 1.) NO, and 2.) It has an improved slot mechanism

Ouch with the all caps NO. Haha I get it but still needed to ask. I mean it would be nice to order and get the new stuff instead of missing out. now Ill just sit and wait. 

If I read this right, the 2600+ has wireless capability already?

A RENEGADE RETURNS

The CX78+ Wireless Gamepad is a recreation of the radical two-button controller Atari released with the original 7800 in Europe. Wirelessly connects to your new 7800+ and 2600+ AND it works with original 2600 and 7800 hardware using the included DB9 wireless adapter. You can even connect it to a PC with the included USB-A adapter.

10 minutes ago, Zonie said:

If I read this right, the 2600+ has wireless capability already?

A RENEGADE RETURNS

The CX78+ Wireless Gamepad is a recreation of the radical two-button controller Atari released with the original 7800 in Europe. Wirelessly connects to your new 7800+ and 2600+ AND it works with original 2600 and 7800 hardware using the included DB9 wireless adapter. You can even connect it to a PC with the included USB-A adapter.

The controller has a wireless dongle that will work across all of the consoles listed.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

They are all interchangable games and accessories between the 2600+ and 7800+. Thats why Atari introduced the A+ platform to signify that its compatible on both machines. You'll need to be on the latest firmware on a 2600+ for most of these new releases. The 7800+ (and recently manufactured 2600+ machines) come with latest firmware.

What is the cutover in serial numbers for this?

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

There are some differences, for one the 7800+ comes with the new cartridge socket (and so do newly manufactured 2600+) plus there are some changes to the dumper/controller chips and how they work. I'll be providing more details as we go along.

SAA

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

..Al

I would do this

5 hours ago, THX-1138 said:

An Atari + Platform forum kinda makes sense now.

Yes

4 minutes ago, thecavalry said:

The controller has a wireless dongle that will work across all of the consoles listed.

Yeah, I saw that finally. Good idea. Makes it compatible with old consoles too, then.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert said:

It's all new art. 

..Al

Even the Berzerk image ? Some of the games that have been out for like... years can't be new.... i.e. Asteroids Deluxe, etc. The Bentley Bear stuff looks new, the Frenzy stuff looks new.... 

Edited by tradyblix

1 hour ago, T.Bone said:

Ouch with the all caps NO. Haha I get it but still needed to ask. I mean it would be nice to order and get the new stuff instead of missing out. now Ill just sit and wait. 

Well I mean, it kinda comes down to which one you personally want to have setup. the 2600+ is for the real classic fans and the old folks and 7800+ has a little bit more mystery, appeal perhaps ? it has a certain something... I'll probably keep both 

Edited by tradyblix

4 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Even the Berzerk image ? Some of the games that have been out for like... years can't be new.... i.e. Asteroids Deluxe, etc. The Bentley Bear stuff looks new, the Frenzy stuff looks new.... 

You're right, I take back my earlier comment -- Berzerk is clearly the previous artwork Atari has used.  Asteroids Deluxe looks to be a piece by Marty Viljaama from 1981, which you can see here, and the Space Duel artwork appears to be concept artwork for the game from 1982.  I'm sure they've all been cleaned up a bit.  The others all look like new pieces (including Bounty Bob, which I know is new). 

..Al

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

It will need it's own 7800 Plus forum like the 2600 Plus soon anyway, so yeah, that should be made right now. 

There should be a plus forum and below you have all 2600+ and 7800+ stuff.

Could the threads be moved?

I select the forum and just refresh to see all of it. Beside of the cartridge socket and the chips on the I/O board there won't be much difference which could relay in dumper speed/capability and supported controllers, which has not been confirmed yet.

Edited by DEANJIMMY

6 hours ago, T.Bone said:

No, you would not be guaranteed to get the 2600+ with updated software. 

15 minutes ago, THX-1138 said:

@Ben from Plaion Do you know what is happening with availability on Amazon UK?   The console itself was listed and I preordered it, none of the games were there.  Then later it was no longer showing in searches.  I can still reach the page from my orders but it shows as 'currently unavailable'. 

I found the console and the wireless CX40+, preordered both. I will be doing the same for the carts when the appear. 

22 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I found the console and the wireless CX40+, preordered both. I will be doing the same for the carts when the appear. 

Can you post a link? I can't seem to find the system on there

Edited by Dr Karnov

When I changed the links to Amazon.de I can see the console and the joystick. But when I change the links to Amazon.nl....page not found. So it looks like Amazon is (again) not selling these new products in The Netherlands 😟

As @JetmanUK stated, all products are unavailable at the moment. No pre-orders.

Amazon.DE link to the CX78 wireless joypad

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0DDQ7HT57

Amazon.CO.UK link to the CX78 wireless joypad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DDQ7HT57

Edited by Fred_M