IGNORED

8K Advent...FIXED

Nukey Shay

By request, 6 dragons, 4 castles, 1 bat. It's really nasty too, because the added dragons (orange and purple) don't guard anything just like the black dragon. And the orange dragon is -nearly- invisible in the catacombs unless you are using the specs (the specs are now red, since it doubles as the red key). I still need to decide if these dragons are really too tough or just about right for what is coming next (128 rooms). I just finished unpacking all the screen GFX to use lower resolution (they way they originally were)...so the only screen where you'll notice it is inside the red castle...I had to change the bitmap since it was no longer using 14 rows, but only 7.

The additional dragons use bitmap #4, since I didn't update it yet. But other than that, I think this one is good to go for map additions now :)

Be careful! They pounce on you pretty damn quick and don't let up until you are dragon fodder. :evil:

I have never done this stuff before so dont laugh, I tried to make the dragons more dragonlike instead of ducklike, and I made the arrow into a sword.

Not too bad...but they kinda look like seahorses :) Perhaps change the background blue, and it would be unmistakeable :D

That's because you happen to be the real genius...I'm not :D

I would like to try do disassemble a game but the programs for this dont work in my windows xp.  For some reason my promp window starts in documents and settings and wont let me go anywhere else????

I can't offer much help for XP because I don't know anything above DOS (I'm still using computers that are over a decade old). But since your command prompt only seems to let you work in the My Documents folder, have you just tried working with your files there? You know, put all Distella and Dasm's files in the folder as well as your disassembly files, and try to do it there? What commands are you using?

BTW I dunno if this applies to XP, but in DOS the command to change to a different folder is CD (change directory). If you see the command prompt, and it shows your location as being in c:Windows, you can enter a folder called "C:ATARI" just by typing CDATARI. If you don't use the backslash, it will look for the specified folder from where you currently are...if you type CD ATARI it would move to a folder in C:WindowsATARI for example (provided that folder exists). And you can make folders much the same way by using the MD command...MD C:ATARI would create a new folder in the root directory...MD ATARI would create a folder in the folder you happen to be in.

That's because you happen to be the real genius...I'm not :D

I would like to try do disassemble a game but the programs for this dont work in my windows xp.  For some reason my promp window starts in documents and settings and wont let me go anywhere else????

I can't offer much help for XP because I don't know anything above DOS (I'm still using computers that are over a decade old). But since your command prompt only seems to let you work in the My Documents folder, have you just tried working with your files there? You know, put all Distella and Dasm's files in the folder as well as your disassembly files, and try to do it there? What commands are you using?

BTW I dunno if this applies to XP, but in DOS the command to change to a different folder is CD (change directory). If you see the command prompt, and it shows your location as being in c:Windows, you can enter a folder called "C:ATARI" just by typing CDATARI. If you don't use the backslash, it will look for the specified folder from where you currently are...if you type CD ATARI it would move to a folder in C:WindowsATARI for example (provided that folder exists). And you can make folders much the same way by using the MD command...MD C:ATARI would create a new folder in the root directory...MD ATARI would create a folder in the folder you happen to be in.

I did get it working, now to examine the programming for newbies so I know what I am looking at. :D

I've removed the b&w byte from the room data table, and added seperate GFX for the other 2 dragons (shared between them, because 6 bitmaps @ 24 each = 144 bytes), and increased the number of rooms to 124...the maximum that the available space would allow. Now I've just got to make a lotta new screens :)

Nukey you out did yourself.....Check out the screen shot though. With the 6 dragons, 1 bat version you can grab the bat....(he wont move) I walked him over to a new object to get him to grab it, then after walking around with him....In short, the bat doesn't move in game two or three. I attached a second screen shot for shits and grins.....this thing is farging addictive....the bat seems to be ok in the 4 dragons version.......

post-2800-1081827665_thumb.jpg

post-2800-1081827666_thumb.jpg

Yeah...I'm trying something different with the bat so it can't be locked into position...and I messed it up a bit. Try the newer 6dragons in the top post...I think I've got his direction fixed (though it still might get hung up on objects that are wrapped around...can't be sure about that yet). Once the editing is complete, you won't be able to pick it up.

Another 22 rooms added...brings the total up to 64 rooms used so far (60 left) :o There's another cool trick into getting to them (you won't see the new ones in game 1) :evil: Game #2 IS solvable...but it might keep ya guessing for awhile. Some of the panel rooms still need editing tho.

The map layout is slightly different as well, but mostly the same for now.

This is where those specs come in handy :)

1 screen away from the chalice...where could it...um...YOU be??

Stay low! Go too far North and you wind up in the catacombs.

post-222-1081866200_thumb.jpg

Oops...because it's a one-way trip in that room, I stuck the surround in the screen to let you know where to stay away from if you're not ready to leave ;) But it won't follow you around in that room either :D :evil:

Kinda like...

You are standing at the upper area of the misty cave...unable to see your hand before your face!

You see the faint glow of a lamp below the edge of the landing, at the foot of a small nook to the north. You recognise it to be beginning of the cave you explored earlier, where you left the lamp.

>Get lamp

You slide down the smooth rock face, and land in the cave floor ten feet below.

(taken)

>S

You can't get back up the slope...the rock face is too smooth.

>Stand on lamp

This is no time for heroics, there are dragons to be slain!

Besides, the lamp is too fragile.

>Jump up to the ledge

You spend ten minutes doing that. Don't you wish that you hadn't forgotten the lamp?

>kill

(yourself)

If you insist...

Poof! Your dead.

*** You have perished ***

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops...because it's a one-way trip in that room, I stuck the surround in the screen to let you know where to stay away from if you're not ready to leave  But it won't follow you around in that room either    

Kinda like...  

You are standing at the upper area of the misty cave...unable to see your hand before your face!  

You see the faint glow of a lamp below the edge of the landing, at the foot of a small nook to the north. You recognise it to be beginning of the cave you explored earlier, where you left the lamp.  

>Get lamp  

You slide down the smooth rock face, and land in the cave floor ten feet below.  

(taken)  

>S  

You can't get back up the slope...the rock face is too smooth.  

>Stand on lamp  

This is no time for heroics, there are dragons to be slain!  

Besides, the lamp is too fragile.  

>Jump up to the ledge  

You spend ten minutes doing that. Don't you wish that you hadn't forgotten the lamp?  

>kill  

(yourself)  

If you insist...  

Poof! Your dead.  

*** You have perished ***  

:lolblue: :lolblue: :lolblue:

You're making me want to dig up my old Zork floppies and fire up the old Commodore 64! :) I've yet to try your hack, I've been so busy with my Adventure Editor, but I promise I will soon. It looks fantastic!

AM

I'm finding game 3 to be unsolvable for a couple of reasons:

I've played several times and have NEVER seen the yellow key or sword.

Without the sword, the six dragons become frustratingly hard to avoid as you try to navigate the rooms and find the keys, bridge, and glasses.

Too often the dragons will cluster around an object like the white key and make it completely unreachable, especially when its dropped in a maze.

I do however, like all the graphic changes and the maze adjustments are just mean! :) :) :)

Yup...the sword is there. I guess there's some more mazes that you haven't seen yet (like the black one, yellow one, "blind" one).

*hint: remember in the old days when you used to wander around with the bridge and explore where various screens go? Keep that in mind ;)

Some of these new screens ARE chosen when the program is placing objects randomly...and the bat and dragons can also go there. In game 2, only 2 of these hidden screens contain objects (the xray vision glasses and the cup).

BTW the trick to get dragons into a castle still works (as long as too many aren't on the screen with you at the same time). So once a castle is open, you can force them into it by positioning yourself to the left side of the gate. Once they touch the gate, they will enter the castle (tho the program will attempt to get them out occasionally if the gate is not locked). So you can get one to follow you over to a castle, force him in, do the same with the rest of the ones on your tail, then lock it up.

I'm not sure yet, but I might remove the necessity of using the bridge to get to those new areas (which can be changed very easily just by changing the bitmap for the screens). I think this just raises the possiblity of a no-win situation in game 3 (if a certian 3 objects are all in these areas).

my only comment about that is that secret areas ought be for secrets and the main game should be solvable without necessarily having to find those secret areas. Although things found in the secret areas could help make the game easier to solve, somehow.

This only applies if said secret areas are really hidden and secret, for instance I would consider the amount of work it takes to find the original easter egg in Adventure to be a pretty well hidden secret, however the unreachable room in Adventure Plus is not terribly well hidden since we can see a clear path leading to it, we just need the bridge to access it.

Your call though, Nukey. I'm just having fun playing all of this! :)

I'll have to eventually move that cup behind a panel (I still have screens to put in for most of them...and 3 unused panel rooms still exist**). Otherwise, you could just let the bat fly around for a while and it will find it for you :P

** Rather than checking to see if a specifc object is at a specifc screen for EVERY screen...which would waste a lot of space...I just put all of the secret entrances at one stretch of room #'s and use 2 branches to check if the current screen falls within that stretch...then just add 8 (or subtract 8 when using the other object)...and you have the new room that it leads to instead of using the internal map. For example, the room just above the catacombs has been changed to be room #6F (it was originally #1E). Moving right (according to the map) will place you at room #64 (just below the blue maze). However, if you have the dot on screen #6F, the map is ignored and 8 gets added to the room number when you move off to the right...so the room number becomes #77. Coding the routine this way creates a slight difference in the way that the original game worked - which would ALWAYS put you in the secret message room if the dot IS NOT at room #15 (inside the black castle). Being able to code in multiple secret rooms made this a fair tradeoff, I think. So room numbers #64-67 have left panels that lead to secret rooms, room numbers #6C-6F use right panels, and #68-6B use BOTH panels. The panels themselves can exist on any room tho.

The one thing that concerns me about the secret areas is that in order to keep the player from becoming trapped in those areas, I did a couple one-way exits...so you can get back to the regular screens relatively easy. The problem is that if you leave objects in those rooms, you may never be able to finish the game (which only happens in the original game if you lock a key in it's own castle...or moving objects and the dot into the secret room). So I'll most likely edit the game to make those areas easier to get to, but just more difficult to get back IN. I have a couple of ideas in the works to solve that issue (can we say "cave in"? :evil:).

I was wondering is it possible to add background music? It would probably slow down the game too much but I thought I would ask. Somthing spooky would be great.....it would add a whole new element of atmosphere to the game.
No, speed is no issue at all. There are a number of free cycles that I could use in the first bank (where all of the game GFX is). By limiting the dragons to all share the same bitmaps, that would be 576 free bytes right there...enough to add in a very lengthy tune. The problem is that I have a hard time coding sound...it's even more hit-and-miss than working with any other aspect for me, even for simple sound effects. I'd go out of my mind trying to figure out chords :lol:

In addition, games that feature tunes eventually make me feel like throwing them out the window. So odd that newer consoles sometimes don't give you the option of toggling particularly annoying tunes off so you can just play with the efx only :x

The problem is that I have a hard time coding sound...it's even more hit-and-miss than working with any other aspect for me, even for simple sound effects.  

you should have heard some of the early sounds on _________. ;) :D :D :D :D

I think Adventure's sound is fine the way it is, but a little ditty might be ok too. Somebody get Slocum on the phone! :)

No new screens added in today...besides just a few :D

What's new is that you can become "cursed" in the game...which collapses the castles into rubble. I'll let you figure out how this happens and what you can do once you become "cursed".

Download the 6dragons version up top.

Oh man...I knew I shouldn't have touched that magpie!

In addition, games that feature tunes eventually make me feel like throwing them out the window.  So odd that newer consoles sometimes don't give you the option of toggling particularly annoying tunes off so you can just play with the efx only :x

So.....couldnt you just use one of the difficulty switches or b/w switch to toggle the songs on/off? Like they do witht that annoying "war cry" of the birds on Pheonix?

But like I said, this really isnt needed. Just an idea. :)

-Tim