IGNORED

My 1st Atari 2600 game (Man Goes Down)

Alex H

• 1 month later...

In case anyone wants to take a look, Alex posted the latest binary on page #10:

Anyhow, the latest binary is here.

I hope he is doing well.

This is an incredible game - and some of the finest work ever done on the Atari. ... and given the difficulty of writing games, this is probably the finest game programming ever.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I found a harmless bug in the last posted version, which I will christen "the MGD extended remix bug"

Start a game with the fire button and a few seconds later hit the reset switch. The first few bars of the music will be from a random part of the song, different for both channels.

Clearly some variables aren't being initialized as the music routine expects if the game ends without a death.

Is the creator of this game still around and are there plans to make a finished cart version?

I have made multiple attempts to contact the author (electronically and otherwise) and unfortunately I have not heard from him. He took his forum offline some time ago and hasn't posted any news to his site since 2005. He hasn't logged into his AtariAge forum account since September 2007. If anyone else had communicated with him in the recent past, please let me know.

..Al

I found a harmless bug in the last posted version, which I will christen "the MGD extended remix bug"

Start a game with the fire button and a few seconds later hit the reset switch. The first few bars of the music will be from a random part of the song, different for both channels.

Clearly some variables aren't being initialized as the music routine expects if the game ends without a death.

Hee hee. You found that too. I think its nice feature...

Is the creator of this game still around and are there plans to make a finished cart version?

I have made multiple attempts to contact the author (electronically and otherwise) and unfortunately I have not heard from him. He took his forum offline some time ago and hasn't posted any news to his site since 2005. He hasn't logged into his AtariAge forum account since September 2007. If anyone else had communicated with him in the recent past, please let me know.

..Al

That's too bad, this is an absolutely fantastic game. I would have loved to have seen a finished product in cart form. I'd consider it a must have homebrew. It's too bad. Thanks for the info Albert.

That's too bad, this is an absolutely fantastic game. I would have loved to have seen a finished product in cart form. I'd consider it a must have homebrew.

Agreed on all accounts.

It's too bad. Thanks for the info Albert.

I still hold out hope that Alex will contact me at some point. I hope he is doing well.

..Al

• 1 month later...

If you have the bubble when you hit the black Abyss, then you just kind of drift along for a while, racking up points (and watching fruits flicker in and out of existence), until you suddenly hit a kind of glitchy section (gray with golden-yellow platforms) and your man is immediately forced off the top of the screen:

post-6067-1157431393_thumb.png

post-6067-1157431408_thumb.png

I hope Alex's health allows him to finish this one (a brain hemorrhage?! Yikes!!), because it's a freaking great game -- I agree that it's easily in the top 5% of Atari 2600 games.

I was curious what there might be "after" the golden bars of death, so I tweaked a couple of bytes to make it survivable. It's posted in the Hacks forum, if anyone else is curious:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/161888-man-goes-down-hack/

--Will

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Now that more AtariVox+ units have sold and are still available to purchase, any thoughts about releasing this, arguably a top Vox game and 2600 game, as 'unfinished'?

The label contest chose a label.

Even if this was supposed to have an ending and becomes impossible, it still has replay value for a better score (and it saves them!)

Pac Man ends at level 256 and was supposed to continue. And all the other arcade 'kill screens' I can't think of at the moment.

It is 16K so not taking Melody boards away from other games (but maybe more time consuming creating? Not sure.)

It will bring some money for AtariAge. I think there is still demand these seven years later, and nine years after this thread began.

EDIT: Last version still available here: http://www.herbs64.plus.com/files/mgd.bin

I suppose the source code was never posted?

As far as I know, no.

Albert has gone to considerable lengths to try and locate and contact Alex, to see if he could get permission for another programmer to finish the game up.

The manual is probably about 75% finished. I was working on it with Alex when he left.

• 2 weeks later...