IGNORED

Atari Announces Flashback 2.0

I think its funny with the new Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy being released, the idea of the two hidden games came about months ago and I've been referring to the total count as "Life, the universe and everything ... 42"

Curt

847505[/snapback]

As usual, thanks for the info Curt, I can't wait to buy at least one of these! Was that Gamestop.com 7/15/2005 release date accurate?

Thanks in advance,

Rick Vendl II

It should be close to that, 7/15 may be a bit earlier then planned, but all things are on track, so maybe more like a window of 7/15-8/1 would be a better idea of release.

It also is dependant on cargo containers being offloaded, and its a trickle down effect from the major distributors getting the bulk amount and then it trickles down to the smaller dealers, then they have to ship out to their locations and such, its all logistically from there on, so some places will get it much earlier, others may not see if till mid-August.

Curt

As you all know how much I despised the first FB, I thought I'd wait until I could be certain this thing was for real. Seems that it is :)

Before, I felt there was NO EXCUSE for the terrible FB1.

Now, I feel there's NO EXCUSE not to buy this one. Even if they are working on a FB3, you gotta get this. It's a real 2600 running real 2600 games. Even if you get the FB3, you can give the FB2 away to someone or sell it used for a couple bucks and you can spread the REAL Atari fun and legacy around.

Thanks for the info Curt... any chance we'll see some replacement Stix and Paddles available for purchase... (especially the paddles!?) Thinking of 4 player Warlords would be great... especially if a person could walk into Toy'R'Us and buy the FB 2.0 with 2 sets of paddles... that would be sweet.

Any news about what the documentation will be like? Did the first FB explain how to play all the games?

Happy days indeed! FB 2.0 is on my wantlist! :)

I think its funny with the new Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy being released, the idea of the two hidden games came about months ago and I've been referring to the total count as "Life, the universe and everything ... 42"

Curt

No emulation, no porting, its a real 2600 on a chip inside running real Atari 2600 binaries direct, hence "the real McCoy"

Lots of old favorite games

a lot of new arcade ports never before seen on the 2600 platform

several homebrew submissions

a couple of licensed titles (Nope, don't ask, not telling you which ones)

and several hidden surprise games easter egged within the console to find.

Curt

I don't get it.  Why do people like this more than the original Flashback?

Yes, I see the marginal improvement in going for emulation vs. portage, but it's still not "the real McCoy" as Infogrames seems to want to convince people it is.  It's running on "modern hardware", most likely still an NES-on-a-chip.  There's still no cartridge slot.

The games that are included may or may not be more faithful than the original Flashback (I'm thinking the sounds will still probably be off, at least, because that's really dependent on the hardware), but it's not some holy grail we're looking at here.

The box is nice, but that's about it.  Those buttons just do not look right where the old chrome switches are supposed to be.

(I'll get one anyway - I got an original FB too.)

846067[/snapback]

847355[/snapback]

Curt... did you say licensed games as well? Seems these Flashback units are getting the attention of other companies! Excellent news!

My question though... with the breakdown you've provided and the mention of the easter egg hidden games (What a wonderful idea by the way!) I'm curious to know if the 40 games (as the press release mentioned) includes the hidden games or are we in for a 42 or more game system with the FlashBack 2.0?

This system is getting better and better!

What kind of documentation will be provded with the units? I never bought the first one but was wondering if the manual will be similar to it? (Note - to anyone who has that info... what was the manual like for the first FlashBack? )

Exciting times this is!

847462[/snapback]

847505[/snapback]

Hmm... I, Robot prototype?

Sounds like it...

Curt

No emulation, no porting, its a real 2600 on a chip inside running real Atari 2600 binaries direct, hence "the real McCoy"

Lots of old favorite games

a lot of new arcade ports never before seen on the 2600 platform

several homebrew submissions

a couple of licensed titles (Nope, don't ask, not telling you which ones)

and several hidden surprise games easter egged within the console to find.

Curt

I don't get it.  Why do people like this more than the original Flashback?

Yes, I see the marginal improvement in going for emulation vs. portage, but it's still not "the real McCoy" as Infogrames seems to want to convince people it is.  It's running on "modern hardware", most likely still an NES-on-a-chip.  There's still no cartridge slot.

The games that are included may or may not be more faithful than the original Flashback (I'm thinking the sounds will still probably be off, at least, because that's really dependent on the hardware), but it's not some holy grail we're looking at here.

The box is nice, but that's about it.  Those buttons just do not look right where the old chrome switches are supposed to be.

(I'll get one anyway - I got an original FB too.)

846067[/snapback]

847355[/snapback]

Curt... did you say licensed games as well? Seems these Flashback units are getting the attention of other companies! Excellent news!

My question though... with the breakdown you've provided and the mention of the easter egg hidden games (What a wonderful idea by the way!) I'm curious to know if the 40 games (as the press release mentioned) includes the hidden games or are we in for a 42 or more game system with the FlashBack 2.0?

This system is getting better and better!

What kind of documentation will be provded with the units? I never bought the first one but was wondering if the manual will be similar to it? (Note - to anyone who has that info... what was the manual like for the first FlashBack? )

Exciting times this is!

847462[/snapback]

847505[/snapback]

I'm kinding at the end of what I can give out to you guys for right now, there will be more press releases revealing more about the game titles, more photo's and so forth, I can't even comment on the manual right now as that's got a nice twist to it as well, just gotta hang tight, you've got a lot to review over for now, you most likely will have far more details from the reports out of E3 on the 18th through the 20th, so just hang in there for a while and more will follow... need to get back to work, still a lot left to finish... gnite.

Curt

I'm ready for the 2.0 when it is.

Licensed games? interesting. Pac-Man and his family are almost definitely out of the question, as Jakks likely has exclusivity now. Just guessing, I'd say the licensed games are possibly non-arcade titles from other manufacturers, like Parker or Coleco or some such. The other possibility are arcade titles from Atari (licensed) and untouched in the recent home TV game market, such as Berzerk or Kangaroo.

So to sum up... I dunno. :)

The Amazon entry for the FB2 is ready, but there's no info about the product description and the price.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ce&s=videogames

Regards

PS: Has anybody noticed that the FB2 box features pictures of several thirty-somethings guys and only ONE kid ?

847142[/snapback]

That sounds about right, I'd say the ratio will be at least 3-1 in favor of us 30 somethings buying&playing it as opposed to some kid who grew up with the latest generation consoles. Very few kids will care about a retro system this old. This is definately marketed to the generation that grew up with Atari, not kids.

The Amazon entry for the FB2 is ready, but there's no info about the product description and the price.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ce&s=videogames

Regards

PS: Has anybody noticed that the FB2 box features pictures of several thirty-somethings guys and only ONE kid ?

847142[/snapback]

That sounds about right, I'd say the ratio will be at least 3-1 in favor of us 30 somethings buying&playing it as opposed to some kid who grew up with the latest generation consoles. Very few kids will care about a retro system this old. This is definately marketed to the generation that grew up with Atari, not kids.

847775[/snapback]

Precisely. And the one kid is kicking the dad's ass for playing games so old.

:P

Its going to be interesting if/when I have kids, because I know I'll still be playing the Atari, and they'll probably be up to PS4 by then.

Then again, Todd Rogers does need a challege LOL

Joysticks are removable, with standard DB-9 connectors that are electrically compatible with standard Atari joysticks.  Paddles and other Atari 2600 controllers will also work in this unit.

..Al

845913[/snapback]

The joysticks are a HUGE sales point. It will be nice to have a new batch of manufactured DB-9's out there. I wonder if the cable will be longer...

I also wonder if some shady eBay sellers will be trying to pass off these joysticks as originals...

Wow, this looks really great. I'm kind of coming in towards the end of the thread but just had to give everyone involved a big thumbs up. Sure, it's not perfect, but especially compared to the (more expensive) FB1, it's a HUGE step.

Hopefully adding a cart port won't be too big of a deal. I'm a little unclear on how that will work-- is there some magical source of cart connectors out there we can just somehow solder in?

Who else is all set with their Cuttle Carts? ;)

Wow, this looks really great. I'm kind of coming in towards the end of the thread but just had to give everyone involved a big thumbs up. Sure, it's not perfect, but especially compared to the (more expensive) FB1, it's a HUGE step.

Hopefully adding a cart port won't be too big of a deal. I'm a little unclear on how that will work-- is there some magical source of cart connectors out there we can just somehow solder in?

Who else is all set with their Cuttle Carts? ;)

847978[/snapback]

I'm set with my Kroc Cart ;)

All that matters to me is that Curt says it's a real 2600 on a chip playing real games, so in that sense, it is PERFECT. I will buy it (in Canada, feh!).

As for the box...blech. All the people look like schmucks to me. Air Sea Battle on the front? Oh man, that game bored me back in the day. Still, nice to have it, I guess. The full list isn't out yet, anyway.

The unit itself? Why that new Atari logo on the console where "reset" should be? Kinda hurts the symmetry...but it's still great...100% Atari with 100% Atari games.

As for only for us 30somethings...I feel this website is for the fanatical of that age, but I'll always defend the games. They are still fun, even if all you've had is Playstation. The graphics have a unique style, as do the sounds. Putting more kids on the box would sell a few more if people were buying a gift.

Warlords? Always fun. You don't even NEED fancy graphics for that. Combat with the tanks is always good. Lunar Lander is a great play mechanic. PONG is also solid fun. It's so primitive you can't believe you're playing it, but it's still fun.

As for the box...blech. All the people look like schmucks to me. Air Sea Battle on the front? Oh man, that game bored me back in the day. Still, nice to have it, I guess. The full list isn't out yet, anyway.

848137[/snapback]

I have the original box for 2600 and 5200. They all looked like schmucks then. So I think they kept the original feel.. ;) Anyways Kudos to everyone involved in the resurrection of the greatest and most innovative and coked up video game companies of all time. God Bless Atari and America!!!!

Why not make the Flashback 3.0 a complete reproduction of the 2600, cart slot and all, but with RCA composite audio and video, as that is the most common these days and better quality than RF, then sell it packed with a multi-cart, joysticks, and paddles? Also have in big letters on the box that old carts are not officially supported in any way.

With modern production technologies, a 2600-on-a-chip based system would be very cheap to produce, and the casual Atari fans will enjoy the ability to buy a complete package, peripherials, games and all... meanwhile the hardcore fan will enjoy the few new games on the multi-cart, the RCA composite A/V, and the new joysticks and paddles.

To have a full 2600 and peripherials produced in 2005 or 2006 would be quite an interesting site, considering that the 2600 is the first general purpose console gaming system.

Why not make the Flashback 3.0 a complete reproduction of the 2600, cart slot and all, but with RCA composite audio and video, as that is the most common these days and better quality than RF, then sell it packed with a multi-cart, joysticks, and paddles?  Also have in big letters on the box that old carts are not officially supported in any way.

With modern production technologies, a 2600-on-a-chip based system would be very cheap to produce, and the casual Atari fans will enjoy the ability to buy a complete package, peripherials, games and all... meanwhile the hardcore fan will enjoy the few new games on the multi-cart, the RCA composite A/V, and the new joysticks and paddles.

To have a full 2600 and peripherials produced in 2005 or 2006 would be quite an interesting site, considering that the 2600 is the first general purpose console gaming system.

848207[/snapback]

For a system that's verging on being 30 years old, why not be happy that someone's listening at all. With an arguement like that, why don't they still make games for these systems.(not talking about homebrews) after all Activision is still around.and so is Sega.They all made games for these old systems. Hell even Konami made games for the 5200. Why don't they just Release an entirely new

8-bit line. It's not fair that I have to keep using the same old 5200 parts or keep recycling my 800xl 1200xl parts.

With Curt saying that the FB 2.0 will be shown at E3 it reminds me of a 2600 Connection (The Fanzine which is a fun read.. when they come out). There was an April Fools issue that had the 2600 banners replacing all the other companies and I also believe that was where we saw the DOOM for the 2600 as well. Kind of strange that a few years later and well... Atari will have a banner for their display and they Atari 2600 still exists! Good stuff if you ask me! :)