IGNORED

Bad Trader Alert

FND

Well combine that with the Fact we disused the deal on the Caverns of Khafka here to save fees but

you then made the reduced offer on ebay were I would have to include the fees again so figured it was best

Well yeah, after you didn't respond on here, I thought I would make an offer on eBay. Call me crazy. All good, though. Certainly your prerogative. Ultimately it was a win-win. You got paid. I got the game. Best of luck in all of your future endeavors :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This misadventure comes courtesy of eBay user carmenandbil. I ordered two 48-port managed stackable switches which, when new, run anywhere from about $600 to $1,300 depending upon how configured. I picked them up used for a really good price to upgrade part of my virtualization infrastructure.

First he complained that the $30 shipping charge was only enough to cover one unit. Fair enough, as I am aware eBay's shipping calculator for multiple items will, by default, only charge for shipping a single item. So I sent him the extra $30, no problem. Next he informed me it was actually costing $60 per unit to ship. My sympathy waned at this point as a long-time seller myself, seeing he has a couple hundred transactions over his membership of 13 years, and this kind of equipment seems to be a common thing for him.

Well, this is how I received the first switch. Yes, they shipped separately, and each in a UHaul moving/storage box.

post-27864-0-35633300-1548275517_thumb.jpgpost-27864-0-48403000-1548275545_thumb.jpg

Sadly, I found no tea in the second box, either, and the cheese puffs were empty, as well.

post-27864-0-93442900-1548275580_thumb.jpg

Not only were the boxes sealed with packing "twine" tape, not a problem, but he also ran tape all around the switch including over the fascia. *sigh* Really?

post-27864-0-47877500-1548275602_thumb.jpg

Shipping is yuge bugaboo for me. Use the method proper for item being shipped, for crying out loud.

• Like 3

eBay user mondo.retrogame

NEVER purchase from this guy based in Italy. I thought I had posted about him after my dealings with him on eBay over the summer, but I guess not...

I attempted to purchase a cart-only Karateka for Atari XE. He's had the same cart for sale on and off for a year or so. Here's the current listing for it (asking 10 euro more than at the time I "purchased" it). I should have noticed that he didn't take PayPal before I purchased and that should have been a huge red flag.

After committing to "Buy It Now," I noticed that I wasn't presented with any payment options. I contacted him and he said he would only communicate with me outside of eBay, and gave me his email address. Another huge red flag, but I wanted the game, so I emailed him. He proceeded to explain that the only method of payment he accepts is by CHECKING ACCOUNT BANK TRANSFER. Ha! Yeah right...So I said, yeah, not happening. He said, ok, if you insist, I will accept PayPal but ONLY friends and family. I told him that made me uncomfortable and that I didn't want the item anymore. We went our separate ways and I left him negative feedback. Upon receiving the negative feedback, he emailed me again, in the form of a profanity-laden manifesto about how I'm "going to be sorry" and he's "going to find me and F-me" and "just I wait," etc. Soooo that was a bit shocking.

I called eBay and explained to them what had happened, as it was by far the worst experience I've ever had with a seller on eBay. They handled things well on their end, documenting everything and stating that they would take measures to hopefully remove him from the marketplace so this doesn't happen again to would-be buyers, etc. So that felt good.

However, he opened an unpaid item case (or it opened automatically with non-payment), so I called eBay again and said I didn't want a "strike" for non-payment, given everything that went down, and they had seen the notes from the last time and said not to worry, I wouldn't be impacted by that. Unfortunately, since it did ultimately go down as a non-payment item in the eBay system, the entire transaction was erased from the system, along with my negative feedback. It seems like that's how he continues to operate his shady business, getting negative feedback removed through non-payment, even if justified.

I thought this was worth mentioning to you all, as I know that Karateka XE is a pretty rare game, so the last thing I'd want would be for a fellow AA member to have any dealings with this scumbag.

Cheers.

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

eBay ID: venicemike

Won a Worm War I Atari 8-bit cart + manual auction a few weeks back. It took 10 days to arrive via USPS Media Mail. Not only is this a blatant misuse of the Postal Service (its very clear that Media Mail is not permitted for video games), upon opening the package, which was wayyyy too big for the contents, I noticed that the manual had rips/tears in two places. Most definitely NOT the "very good" condition listed by the seller and not at all pictured in the listing (no images of the back of the manual were there, and that's where the rips were). I contacted the seller to work out a partial refund and he went off the rails on how he went out of his way to drop off the package at the post office, "while most sellers put it in their own mailbox" and he has associated shipping costs and fees I don't see (duh, it's the cost of doing business on eBay, buddy) and that I could return it for a refund or not at all. I explained that all I wanted was a partial refund, which he refused. He also claimed Media Mail was designed for video games..

What an idiot. Avoid!

Yeah, he's wrong about Media Mail, it is not intended for video games.  Here's an article that explains why, straight from the USPS (you should send this to him to see how he reacts). Also, his boasting about dropping your package off at a post office is silly, especially since he has no way of knowing "most sellers put it in their own mailbox".  I'd ask him to cite some references for that claim.  Not sure what you mean by, "he has associated shipping costs and fees I don't see". 

Sorry he didn't accurately describe the manual.  Are you going to keep it?  I did find the auction here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORM-WAR-I-Atari-400-800-XL-XE-1982-By-Sirius-Software-Cartridge-and-Manual-/173921522844

..Al

• Like 1

Yep, I dropped the official list of what's approved for Media Mail purposes in a prior note to him and he wasn't having it. He was the one who brought up "associated shipping charges and fees," and I can only assume he meant cost of shipping materials and eBay's cut of the sale, which, of course, are awful arguments to make to counter a buyer's unhappiness with a poor auction description!

Yeah, that's the listing, indeed. I'm going to hold onto it, as I think I got it for a decent price, but I will certainly never do business with this bozo again. 

Just now, OLD CS1 said:

That Media Mail article is interesting.  I was told before that I could ship my blank floppies via MM, the reasoning that they did not contain any commercial data.  Ah, well.

Certainly there is confusion among mail clerks regarding Media Mail.  I have had packages containing 2600 carts sent to me via Media Mail flagged as "postage due", so I tell people not to use Media Mail to send games. 

..Al

Even postal employees don't always know the rules.  Video game cartridges have never been allowed as Media Mail, but back before the rules changed to disallow even video game discs, I told the lady at our local post office I wanted to send the box standard.  She asked what was inside.  I said video game cartridges, and she shrugged and marked it Media Mail.  I wasn't about to argue with a postal employee. :)

Honestly, though, I don't think it's really so hard to grasp.  "No video games," "No blank media," and, "No advertising," are the crux of the rules.  I would add, "No computer circuitry of any sort," just to be thoroughly paranoid (that means no thumb drives, no SD cards, and definitely no cartridges).  Remember those and you won't go wrong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FujiSkunk said:

Even postal employees don't always know the rules.  Video game cartridges have never been allowed as Media Mail, but back before the rules changed to disallow even video game discs, I told the lady at our local post office I wanted to send the box standard.  She asked what was inside.  I said video game cartridges, and she shrugged and marked it Media Mail.  I wasn't about to argue with a postal employee. :)

Honestly, though, I don't think it's really so hard to grasp.  "No video games," "No blank media," and, "No advertising," are the crux of the rules.  I would add, "No computer circuitry of any sort," just to be thoroughly paranoid (that means no thumb drives, no SD cards, and definitely no cartridges).  Remember those and you won't go wrong.

Agreed! Frankly, there is no reason to EVER use Media Mail for a single cartridge like this guy (the seller in the OP) did. At that weight, the difference in cost between Media Mail and a First Class Package is typically 50 cents or so, while First Class will also typically get to its destination much faster, so it's a no-brainer for all involved.

• Like 1

Recently I've seen an uptick in the use of Media Mail for eBay shipments. It's irritating because I have been hit multiple times in the past for postage due feeds upon delivery because of these ignorant shipping practices.

Edited by Austin

17 minutes ago, Austin said:

Recently I've seen an uptick in the use of Media Mail for eBay shipments. It's irritating because I have been hit multiple times in the past for postage due feeds upon delivery because of these ignorant shipping practices.

I don't think it's because they are "ignorant" of shipping practices (although some surely are), but because they want to ship as inexpensively as possible to make more money on their auctions.

..Al

27 minutes ago, Albert said:

I don't think it's because they are "ignorant" of shipping practices (although some surely are), but because they want to ship as inexpensively as possible to make more money on their auctions.

..Al

I generally try to give people the benefit of the doubt, but you are more likely right. :)

8 hours ago, FujiSkunk said:

yes I have never figured out why media mail is so difficult for people, if its media, it cant go media mail, if its useless dead trees bought and sold by the pound in 37 locations within 10 miles of your house THEN it can go ... but no one wants that crap

besides, if its under what 13 ounces it saves you a whole nickle over first class and takes 3 days longer 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

I just ordered a bunch of BluRays which were shipped Media Mail. I guess I will find out if they require additional postage once delivered. I have bandied about the notion of refusing delivery if there is postage due.