IGNORED

For or for not, using cartridges games on JagCF ?

GT Turbo

Cartridges games on CF ?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you ok for using cartridges games on CF ?

• Yes i'm for using cartridges games
    • No i'm not for that

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Well some of the Jag games aren't exactly cheap to come by so as a means for trying out the games first-yeah I would support/buy this CF cart. I just spent a huge wad on Protector SE but it doesn't mean I want to do the same for some of the other expensice Jag games,not without trying the games out first. I'd atleast like to try them out first before spending big money on the next batch of games. Plus if it'll help get the Jaguar home brew scene kicking into a higher gear thats even better.

In other words sign me up for one of these CF carts should they ever see the light of day.

• Like 1

CF slower than BJL.

where the hell did you read that ?

Right: avoid telling me the numbers. This is a sure fire way to sell something. The numbers I've seen do not correlate with being faster, or with each other. Tell me them.

CF slower than BJL.

where the hell did you read that ?

Right: avoid telling me the numbers. This is a sure fire way to sell something. The numbers I've seen do not correlate with being faster, or with each other. Tell me them.

your answer is so strange, trying to confuse me ?

I already told you some kind of "numbers" like you said:

try uploading native in less than 7 seconds with BJL, good luck.

The numbers I've seen

where ?

• Like 1

From what I understand, the Cuttle Cart and number #2 brought us clones of games we already had, did it not? That is not progress. Those are hacks. The Atari 2600 had developers before it came out and the 7800 hasn't shown any great leaps in development since the release. There's no proof it would be helpful.

You know, I disagree with this statement. I have a Cuttle Cart 2 and what it allows the Atari 7800 has made it my favorite system equal to my other fav system, the Jaguar. I have had a chance to play a HUGE library of games that were commercial, beta, or new in development. Do I develop on the 7800? Not really, but I can try new games quicker, and encourage the ones developing.

On the Jaguar I can current try new games with the JUGS setup and the new CD games. But there are a lot of game images that I cannot as easily try. Like Arena Football that was released, but I need a FlashCart, or to reprogram a Eprom cart. I don't have these means. Or the 2600 emulators, or the Golf game recently released.

And when I take the Jaguar to display at some video game show, it is STRESSFUL keeping up with 20+ carts. It would be nice to have it all on one cart, like I have working on my Atari 7800. One Cuttle Cart (2) holding hundreds of games!!

So why I have always voted for this:

1) The ability to try new beta cart images quicker, easier.

2) The ability to display a Jag, and have all on one cart.

And as far as development goes, I might not be interested in developing for the 7800 (at least until the computer module comes out) but I might try developing it I had a alpine or flashcart replacement.

Later!

• Like 1

I say lets make 2 versions... I "Europeean" where you can play roms, develope awsome new games & truly take the Jaguar where it has never gone before..

And one "US-only" ..where you cant do much at all except pay billions of dollars for it on Ebay and stack it in shelf under a glass bowl... hence it will not brake any presious pirate rules.

Sticker with "In Europe someone is playing Quake on this you know" included without extra cost!.... (US only sticker).

Then everyone will be happy! =) problem solved!!

Speaking of pirates (aparently everyone that is here & at jagware are falsly beeing accused of beeing a "Pirate"). I just want to point out what noone seem to question:

I would rather get a JagCF thats been developed from scratch by the copyrightholder than ever use hardware that was based on secret beta hardware by Atari that someone Stole & altered a bit! ("filled in the blanks"), their innermost secrets of their new hardware (...that will NEVER be ok to use nor resell, not by ANY "registered developer" EVER!!! It doesnt matter if he'd bend over & let the CEO himself corn-hole him, Thats Ataris hardware secrets and thats it!...

....Now whos the Pirate?....

To all Jagware people I say, KEEP Up The Great Work!... and stay focused on target & dont let anything distract you from the goal! (ie stop flaming & back to coding!!!=).......you darn pirates ;P

/Symmetry of.... Pirates

• Like 1

Man!

That is one of the most stupid posts I´ve ever read. I hope you´re drunk or something the way you step in and raise the heat just as things were settling down a bit. Good job man.

I´m european also btw and not everybody on this continent have the same warped sense of reality that you do.

You´ve got a thankful audience here though, so you´ll probably receive a lot of praise for having the audacity to speak your mind so eloquently.

I say lets make 2 versions... I "Europeean" where you can play roms, develope awsome new games & truly take the Jaguar where it has never gone before..

And one "US-only" ..where you cant do much at all except pay billions of dollars for it on Ebay and stack it in shelf under a glass bowl... hence it will not brake any presious pirate rules.

Sticker with "In Europe someone is playing Quake on this you know" included without extra cost!.... (US only sticker).

Speaking of pirates (aparently everyone that is here & at jagware are falsly beeing accused of beeing a "Pirate"). I just want to point out what noone seem to question:

I would rather get a JagCF thats been developed from scratch by the copyrightholder than ever use hardware that was based on secret beta hardware by Atari that someone Stole & altered a bit! ("filled in the blanks"), their innermost secrets of their new hardware (...that will NEVER be ok to use nor resell, not by ANY "registered developer" EVER!!! It doesnt matter if he'd bend over & let the CEO himself corn-hole him, Thats Ataris hardware secrets and thats it!...

To all Jagware people I say, KEEP Up The Great Work!... and stay focused on target & dont let anything distract you from the goal! (ie stop flaming & back to coding!!!=).......you darn pirates ;P

/Symmetry of.... Pirates

I am from the US and guess what? My Jaguar doesn't sit under a glass anything. I don't own shrink wrapped games, and I don't have boxed anything, although I have the boxes, you know why? Because I play my system, and I do it without Pirating games. This that you said makes no sense at all man, none whatsoever. Please, if you are going to flame, make it make some kind of sense.

/Symmetry of.... Pirates

Im not american either - you post is blatant trolling for flames and serves no good purpose other than to stir up animosity, you should be ashamed to so deliberately go out of your way to create bad feelings amongst fans of the Jaguar.

Sorry no.. Im not going to flame... this will be the last remark I ever do about this hole thing.. no matter what you throw at me.

It is funny, yet sad, that a legitamite post can go unnoticed and a stupid one attracts more attention.. ?...a sarcastic joke attracts most people here, thats just it....and you cant tell a sincerepost from a joke... cant you just leave it be? you all must coment to show your honurable standpoint that you proven tenfold before... it is sooo tiresom!..

you know.. if i gave a crap.. but to be honest.... i dont... so its all for nothing! =)

/Symmetry leaving this scene

Oh yeah Kizza', like you are a saint, give me a break, you stupid prick! All you do is blah, blah, blan, and lie, lie, lie! Like anyone really cares what you have to say about all of this? I can see it now, later on you will take credit for the CF just like you took credit for stuff that isn't yours like the Icee nmachine you supposdly created! :ponder:

OMG what class !! :D Now we know for sure about numerous ZX Spectum games he didnt write , aswell as ST games hes bullshitted about.... But an ice making machine ? :P Now WHY all of a sudden do I want to know more ??

• Like 1

Oh yeah Kizza', like you are a saint, give me a break, you stupid prick! All you do is blah, blah, blan, and lie, lie, lie! Like anyone really cares what you have to say about all of this? I can see it now, later on you will take credit for the CF just like you took credit for stuff that isn't yours like the Icee nmachine you supposdly created! :ponder:

OMG what class !! :D Now we know for sure about numerous ZX Spectum games he didnt write , aswell as ST games hes bullshitted about.... But an ice making machine ? :P Now WHY all of a sudden do I want to know more ??

Hahahahaa! That's too much.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand, the Cuttle Cart and number #2 brought us clones of games we already had, did it not? That is not progress. Those are hacks. The Atari 2600 had developers before it came out and the 7800 hasn't shown any great leaps in development since the release. There's no proof it would be helpful.

Oh you mean beefdrop and that frogger type game for the 7800 are figments of my imagination? Both actually happen to support pokey sound, something that would have NEVER happened without a cuttle cart.

• Like 1

Did I not say those were hacks? I have before... and hacks do not interest me. That's not development progress. You can add sound to a cartridge like Lucas Arts and others have done. You can get 2600 Burgertime instead of 7800 Beefdrop. I can get the original for the 2600 and the 7800 is 99.9% backwards compatible, as if it were hard to find a 2600 system. Hacks are "as precious to (me) as words written in water."

It appears my 4MB Alpine is significantly slower than BJL on someone elses setup. This illustrates to me that the CF may need to be tested on more systems. Each PC system's processing times, setup, and the quality of the cable may play a role in load times as it does with BJL and Alpine. Given this site alone, without transfer rate or the specifics of the computer it was used on, I fail to see how 7 second Native loads can be an absolute. My mother's XP PC boots slower than my Windows 98 PC... I recall chatting on the phone with a tech rebooting my system when the tech said, "Is it still rebooting?" "Yes," I said. "That's Windows 98 for ya!" I did not comment. Just rolled my eyes, thinking to myself, "yeah, it doesn't take up over 1 gig of hard drive space either, which XP does." :ponder: Some people just don't get it. The tech couldn't help me. I wasted minutes on my phone. I figured it out myself. I hate that you pay for support and know more than they do. What? That's the way I think. Sorry for the logic of it all. Probably still sounds arrogant to someone, even though I explained why. Check it for errors. :D

Edited by MegaData

Did I not say those were hacks? I have before... and hacks do not interest me. That's not development progress. You can add sound to a cartridge like Lucas Arts and others have done. You can get 2600 Burgertime instead of 7800 Beefdrop. I can get the original for the 2600 and the 7800 is 99.9% backwards compatible, as if it were hard to find a 2600 system. Hacks are "as precious to (me) as words written in water."

Beef Drop for the 7800 is not a hack, it was programmed from scratch. Sure you can play the 2600 version of Burgertime on the 7800, but the 2600 version pales in comparison to the wonderful version Ken Siders has written that takes full advantage of the 7800's capabilities. While it's a port of an existing arcade game (as are quite a few titles in the 7800 library), calling it a hack is not correct nor fair.

..Al

• Like 1

Unfair?

a. 1. Not fair; not honest; not impartial; disingenuous; using or involving trick or artifice; dishonest; unjust; unequal.

Is that a personal attack? I may have to report you to the admin. ;)

For future reference, I get angry when people call me dishonest.

To clarify the word, "hack:"

(Computers) To program (a computer) for pleasure or compulsively; especially, to try to defeat the security systems and gain unauthorized access to a computer.

(Computers) A clever computer program or routine within a program to accomplish an objective in a non-obvious fashion.

(Computers) A quick and inelegant, though functional solution to a programming problem.

Please note that there are other definitions for someone completely impartial. They may be less palatable, however, so I've tried to stick with the definitions in releation to computers. Are you saying that the programs or subroutines are obvious, not clever, or that it had nothing to do with security protection? So, it was only available in PAL format? Maybe you just meant it wasn't for pleasure or that the programmer wasn't compelled to do it? Perhaps you used the wrong definition.

I still think it's illegal to make a derivative of another title, acording to the law, knowing that derivatives of Pac-Man have been sued by Atari and Atari won... not that my opinion is worth anything on this site.

K.C. Munchkin was actually withdrawn after Atari successfully sued its creator, since its imitation of the Pac-Man characters was so blatant and undisguised.

So, how about those CF questions?

Why do I get the feeling that Ken and Chad both suddenly feel a wave of relief that they never involved themselves in what is charitably called the 'Jaguar Scene'

Best of luck to anyone who tries to get involved. I don't know how they'd stomach it long enough to actually bring anything new to fruition.

:roll:

Edited by remowilliams
  • Like 2

Why do I get the feeling that Ken and Chad both suddenly feel a wave of relief that they never involved themselves in what is charitably called the 'Jaguar Scene'

Best of luck to anyone who tries to get involved. I don't know how they'd stomach it long enough to actually bring anything new to fruition.

I rarely visit the Jag subforum, but I always get a good laugh when I do. Atari must have really spiked the Jag with something powerful; whatever it is, it's still affecting the sanity of anyone who goes near it after all these years. Talk about "high-strung prima donnas"! :roll:

Like I said earlier ... the Jag is the only video game console that apparently needs its own Middle East policy.