IGNORED

What's the latest Atari related thing(s) you've bought on ebay?

Ross PK

I contacted the seller last week, probably the day the ad was placed, and offered to buy just the Atari carts. It took some time to coordinate pickup.

I guess that's what she meant by "sold individually". The halftime battlin' bands is in the box of carts I picked up.

-Bob

Well let me know if you want to trade it, or something. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice lot just arrived in excellent condition:

1050 Advertised as non working - the issue was that the drive select was set to D3: - set it to D1: and the drive works properly

XF551 - owner thought it was dead because the power light only flashed - works pefectly

XEGS - first block of ROM test is bad - I need to have a closer look

Light gun, keyboard, power cables and a bunch of original disks.

• Like 1

Nice lot just arrived in excellent condition:

1050 Advertised as non working - the issue was that the drive select was set to D3: - set it to D1: and the drive works properly

XF551 - owner thought it was dead because the power light only flashed - works pefectly

XEGS - first block of ROM test is bad - I need to have a closer look

Light gun, keyboard, power cables and a bunch of original disks.

Had this been an 800 i would have been one of the bidders, but when I've seen the price hit $80+ i just gave up bidding on this item, for someone who wants to own an XE gaming system though it's a nice find... especially if you can fix the Rom problem.

That would be great, thanks :)

post-188-0-44146200-1358057459_thumb.jpg

I received the posters. The Tempest poster is attached. They are from 1982 and have a grade school Halloween decoration look and feel to them. They are in nice shape. They will look pretty retro when matted and framed. Just need to remove the tab with the .79 cent price tag (the little white tag at the top on this particular poster).

Bill

Ok - after 6 weeks and an apparent despatch and return to sender - ive finally recieved my NTSC 800 and 400 computers from the states to uk.

The 800 works good on the NTSC/PAL monitor i got for £10 and the quality is excellent.

Im now converting the PSU in the 410 recorder to a 240VAC to 6VDC as this worked in the uk on my 115V shaver socket (the things) i have to do...

A 400 PSU that i have was good on the 800 (not too bothered about the 400 - will use carefully as a spares unit where possible.

Apparently switching the ANTIC and still using my 60hz monitor may allow me to run pal games here at the lowest level of conversion (thanks to Mimo - will give it a try!)

Now for the funny part.....

I paid £60 +£50 postage and waited about 3 weeks - apparently the sender didnt put enough postage on the package(!)

This got re-paid and sent (senders cost of course - 19lbs weight via USPS this time)

The wife recieves the item and under my pre- instruction to pay (thinking it should be about £20- got stung a whopping £65 on VAT in the uk.

i phone up USPS and ask where they get their inflated figures from and they say its UK customs and works out at around 30% of the OVERALL cost which includes postage!

Do the math...... £65 x 3 = £195 (£60 +£135 postage approx.) plus the original charge....

I got stung, but feel sorry for the sender who on top of re-paying the postage originally - had to fork out about £85 of their own cash to send it the 2nd time.

Ok i took an expensive dunt for an A800, A400 and 410 (which are in excellent cond.) but takes the sting out when the sender got stung at a loss of £85 ($130 - ish) (and its uk - where A800's are absolutely less available than in the US hence why i imported.

Now going to dishwash the A800 and retrobrite for 48 hours. Will maybe PAL it up where possible. I wil post when this is done as my PAL 400 from a few months ago looks the business!

Any one had the crap end of the stick like this from importing abroad? - im looking to order from Atari sales and service and Lance at Video 61 and dont want to sell a lung to pay for the hidden costs.

Richard

post-34640-0-88210600-1358543707_thumb.jpg

post-34640-0-70660300-1358543708_thumb.jpg

post-34640-0-53658700-1358543709_thumb.jpg

For over 10 years I've been buying items from ebay and other vendors from the USA on a regular basis and only had to pay customs charges/VAT on a handful of items - however, during the last six months it seems that everything over $25.00 now incurs charges - have I just been lucky in the past or have the UK customs changed their practices??

e.g. November 2011 bought $300 of software with no charges this end, just received a dust cover for my 800 (which I've ordered various items from the same supplier with no charges), valued at $28.00 - charged £8.00 Customs charge with £3.16 VAT!!

Makes you think twice about that purchase, will have to factor this into future purchases...

Glad your stuff turned up OK, and you had a great seller there who stumped up the extra postage.

I found that anything that comes into the UK by post is a lottery as to whether or not you are going to get hit for VAT and possibly customs duty. If it comes in by courier then you are screwed. Obviously this only applies if your stuff is worth more than £15 for VAT, and I think £135 for customs duty. If memory serves me correctly I think you can get hammered on the total cost of the declared item(s) plus shipping - especially if you've used a courier or express shipping method.

I did some research in the last few days and its like a lottery. Some packages appear to get through without the brunt of the costs that customs are permitted to charge (also there is the couriors handling fee which only adds to the overall cost). Some packages get sent without invoices and costs of the goods can be low as $10 and called 'gifts' (my favourite classification - if only we all did this.....)

Im looking at ordering a cart from lance at video 61 at $35 + shipping which brings the total of something like $55.

with the expected vat and 'handling' i can be looking at an extra $32 - ($87 @ £50-ish for a cart) - as its Xenophobe and i love the arcade version - im willing to pay this to get this very Rare cart (no downloads available) .

Forget Bomb Jake which is currently doing the rounds at $250 + shipping imagine the cost to get this attractive but expensive package?

Has anyone ordered stuff at $50 or similar and had to pay silly prices from customs? this will be invaluable to know for every one (in europe)

Richard

The last item I had to pay VAT on was something from Best, at arounf $25 I think. I had to pay around £9 , £6 of which was the Royal Mail handling fee. So, that time I was stuffed. I've had stuff since, much higher value, come through without a problem.

If it comes by courier you are guaranteed to get hit. If it comes by post, say USPS from the States then it depends on your luck on the day - and it doesn't go on the physical size of the package either.

I tend to presume the worst and cost in the extra - just in case. There is a maximum value on the amount a gift can have too, so you can't get (example) $300 of Atari equipment declared as a gift and be safe it won't be hit for VAT and customs duty.

It really is a lottery, but if it is declared as a gift and under $20 things usually get through OK. It helps if the seller is willing to "help" by doing this. ;)

There are some new postage options available from us eBay where you can pay the import duties up front, that is a much cheaper way to do it.

If a courier is used, particularly ups, you will get stung for import duty. If stuff is sent the cheapest usps option you are pretty unlucky to get hit, I guess it's because it comes via royal mail and they don't give a stuff.

Anyway, nice haul. Shame you got hit on import so heavily or I would be making you an offer on the 400

Here's my latest haul:

281038957599_1.jpg

Atari 810 UNTESTED

281042082687_1.jpg

HALFTIME BATTLIN' BANDS

130831538917_1.jpg

Movie Musical Madness

170968510701_1.jpg

Editor Assembler

130831545945_1.jpg

Peanut Butter Panic + The Dreadnaught Factor

190780075950_1.jpg

SynComm Modem software & manuals

121050760756_1.jpg

LOGO

181060744996_1.jpg

LEARNING WITH LEEPER

This brings my cart count to 186 individuals and 276 total...

70+ carts to go :)

Edited by AtariGeezer

Finally got myself a 1050 w/ power supply.... $25 + $15 shipping "Buy it Now"

Nice and shiny looking. From some guy that apparently deals mostly in Commodore equipment. I want to put a US Doubler or Happy board in it once I get it going. Not sure of running condition yet. Should be here in a few days!

$(KGrHqNHJFQFDyuRE1ueBQ+Cjdt!4Q~~60_57.JPG

I was wondering who got that. Any chance of making that into an ATR or maybe even scanning the manual? It's pretty rare. I've been looking for a copy of that over ten years. That's the first one that has come up.

Allan

I imaged both sides of the disk last night, it's copy protection includes 1/3 of the disk as having (bad sectors/non-formated tracks), but only checks sector #531. Plus 2 copies of Dup.sys, one of them with a bad file link to throw you off.

I'll post the ATR's later on, as far as scanning the manual, that will take some time...

I imaged both sides of the disk last night, it's copy protection includes 1/3 of the disk as having (bad sectors/non-formated tracks), but only checks sector #531. Plus 2 copies of Dup.sys, one of them with a bad file link to throw you off.

I'll post the ATR's later on, as far as scanning the manual, that will take some time...

Cool. Thanks. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Allan

This brings my cart count to 186 individuals and 276 total...

70+ carts to go :)

What is your "to go"? If all 8-bit production carts, that would be approx 312 individual carts. And if you count modern releases and remade proto's approx 380 individual carts.

Are you going for boxed, loose, both, ?

I have 306 individual carts and am at an estimated 90%. I'm comprising the production list as we speak (if I can ever find time) :)