IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

Wow! :-o

Thanks Tempest!! :)

I think I'll try to make a sorted table of contents sometime during christmas. The idea being you could look at a list of games covered in this thread and click the link beside to see the discussion on it. something like this:

Hangman (PAL) - (post #72)

Superman - (post #67)

etc.... something along those lines to make finding the information in here easier, like Sr. Ferraz did in his thread. Any ideas would be much appreciated before I start it though. I wouldn't want to get halfway through and no one likes it.

As for placement, I was thinking in the first post of this thread under the roms that need to be dumped. Problem is that is a very long post already, and it's a lot of scrolling down.

• Like 1

Wow! :-o

Thanks Tempest!! :)

I think I'll try to make a sorted table of contents sometime during christmas. The idea being you could look at a list of games covered in this thread and click the link beside to see the discussion on it. something like this:

Hangman (PAL) - (post #72)

Superman - (post #67)

etc.... something along those lines to make finding the information in here easier, like Sr. Ferraz did in his thread. Any ideas would be much appreciated before I start it though. I wouldn't want to get halfway through and no one likes it.

As for placement, I was thinking in the first post of this thread under the roms that need to be dumped. Problem is that is a very long post already, and it's a lot of scrolling down.

A table of contents would be cool :cool:

Old hat IMO.

Not too sure what you mean by "old hat". If a person wanted to know what verision of Demon Attack (text or pic label) had the ending wave, well they can either play it to that level, or dump it and compare.

I have already done a comparision for Demon Attack though. They could simply look at that. It's a lot easier to find the information when there is a table of contents, and where else tells you what specifice rom belongs to what specific cart (text, pic label) and so forth. So I'm not sure how that is "old hat"?

I had an opportunity to dump a bunch of pirate carts. These are Funvision carts, and we know they are Funvision because the carts are double labeled. Underneath the top label is a ovalish label that says "Halley's Comet " and "Funvision".

post-7074-126164702205_thumb.jpg

This picture is from Brucebidder (hope he doesn't mind me lifting it! Not at home as I'm writing this). You can see the Halley's Comet labels, and the top labels peeled off. Note too that his Treasure Hunting didn't have a Halley's comet label underneath, but the copy I have does. It seems that most of the time the Halley's comet label is there for these carts, and when it's not they have the cartoonish label as shown in the photo. Don't ask me what is going on in that photo. All I can tell you is a lot of drugs were involved. Now these carts came in baby blue boxes, and red boxes (look at a lot like Zellers boxes), and Hi - Score cart type of boxes. All my carts are NTSC rom dump verified, but I do believe that the baby blue boxes have also been found in PAL countries, namely Australia. I know Jah has one, and I believe Pang too, but that's from memory.

Anyhow here are some dumps:

Funvision - Halley\'s Comet dumps.zip

Busy Police - 100% same as Zellers Busy Police (Keystone Kapers hack)

Dragon Treasure - 100% same as DragonFire

Grand Prize - new dump, 1 byte different from Enduro, this byte turns the text black hiding the logo and copyright (but not the Activision color bars).

Mighty Mouse - %100 same as Zellers Farmer Dan (Gopher hack)

Ocean City - %100 same as Zellers Ocean City Defender (Atlantis hack) - Nice to see the funvision logo still is there too!

Persian Gulf War - %100 matches River Raid (Polyvox) - however all that is done is the logo and copyright are erased. These hacks could have been done independently and still match 100% very easily.

Plug Attack - new dump, differs from Plaque Attack in that the logo and copyright have been erased.

Tank City - new dump, Thunderground hack, gone is the "© 1983 SEGA" to be replaced by a bunch of scrolling cars? I think they are cars...

Time Warp - %100 matches Zellers Time Warp

Treasure Hunting - new dump, Pitfall! 2 bytes have been hacked to load black text, effectively hiding the logo and copyright.

Looking at David Winter's proto for Jungle Hunt, it appears that the different bytes are never used. the differences are at:

$DFF9 (bank 0) - $FF (released version) $6B (proto)

$FFF8 (bank 1) - $FF (released verision) $9D (proto)

All bankswitching in Jungle Hunt is done with STA, so nothing is ever read at the hotspots no matter what. While I think that David's dump is good, the bytes themselves serve no purpose, and this rom can still be considered the finished verision, with differences at the hotspots.

JungleHunt(DW_PAL_Proto).bin

I've always been curious though if you could read the byte at $xFF8 while in bank 0, and $xFF9 while in bank 1. I might write a test program later today and try it out. It'd be good to know.

..., with differences at the hotspots.

The contents which are read from the hotspots are more or less random, depending on the dumper used. So most likes both ROMs are 100% identical.

It's too bad the released verision can never be read 100% accurately. I believe David read his eproms directly, so his dumps are true.

• 3 weeks later...
It's too bad the released verision can never be read 100% accurately. I believe David read his eproms directly, so his dumps are true.

Hi guys,

Sorry for not coming back earlier, I've been busy and so forgot to check this thread.

Indeed I read the eproms directly so what you have in the dump is what's on the chip.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Omega,

I'm adding the Funvision dumps now.

Although I think they are, I would like to know this:

Are these 100% identical:

time_warp_funvision (atarimania).zip

time_warp_funvision (omegamatrix).zip

Are these 100% identical:

dragon_treasure_funvision (atarimania).zip

dragon_treasure_funvision (omegamatrix).zip

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Only 3 bytes differ, but the program is broken at this point in (A):

;@=$F87B

INC AUDF1,X ;6

ADC $C1,X ;4

STA WSYNC,X ;4

Compare this with the same portion in (B):

;@=$F87B

INC $BA,X ;6

LDY $C1,X ;4

BNE LF883 ;2

Different argument for the first line, opcode for the second, and opcode for the third. It's a fair guess that (A) is a corrupt or bad version, since read/write operations (INC) will not work the same for system ram (AUDF1) as they do for user ram. Was it a confirmed dump of an actual rom? If not, it's probably just a bad dump of (B).

Edited by Nukey Shay

How many ROMs of Beany Bopper are out there? A couple of us have gotten different results when rolling the score. It might just be because we're playing on different consoles, though. The other person was on a 2600 Jr, and I was on a 7800.

Just 3 AFAIK (not including the 3 hacks created here)...the original which displays the text "BEANY BOPPER" released in '82, and one released a year later which displays the text "*cce*" instead. I dunno when the "prototype" by Xante appeared.

Can you remember what the score-rolling difference was (color or score value), and if the game select bug/option/cheat/whatever was used at any time?

Strange.

I looked the (A) version up in the old Stella.pro and it says: Ocean City (Prototype)

???

8)

These types of situations can happen when roms aren't sourced. Who knows now where that rom really came from? Anyhow since Ocean City is a hack of Atlantis, you can compare the changes between the two and it reaffirms what Nukey was saying. It must have been a bad dump or a case of bit rot.

@ Rom, Wickey also re-dumped his Pole Position cart, and gets the same dump he posted. I looked at the rom with a rough disassembly, and checked the source code as well. I can't find anyplace that calls this data (if it is data). It looks like garbage data, but I would say it's a legit alternate as it came off a real cart. I'd feel a lot better though calling it that if another Pole Position cart could be found that had a matching rom though.

Strange.

I looked the (A) version up in the old Stella.pro and it says: Ocean City (Prototype)

???

8)

These types of situations can happen when roms aren't sourced. Who knows now where that rom really came from? Anyhow since Ocean City is a hack of Atlantis, you can compare the changes between the two and it reaffirms what Nukey was saying. It must have been a bad dump or a case of bit rot.

@ Rom, Wickey also re-dumped his Pole Position cart, and gets the same dump he posted. I looked at the rom with a rough disassembly, and checked the source code as well. I can't find anyplace that calls this data (if it is data). It looks like garbage data, but I would say it's a legit alternate as it came off a real cart. I'd feel a lot better though calling it that if another Pole Position cart could be found that had a matching rom though.

I just opened my alternate ROM in a hex editor and compared it with the current ~ version. This is what I see:

Addr.     ~      Alt.
0FFA    3E23    00D3
1FFA    3E23    3E23

This leads me to believe that mine is not an alternate after all, and that the ~ version is a bad dump (I haven't been able to find a cart with that ROM) ;)

Pole Position is an F8-switching game...and the decision to ignore changes in hotspots (which would include anything beyond hotspots for F8) and cartridge RAM was already made. Neither one is a "previous version" or "alternate rom", since it's impossible to use such ROM locations for program or data anyway. It doesn't even matter to the 2600, since the hardware doesn't utilize the NMI vector (xFFA-xFFB) at all.

Pole Position is an F8-switching game...and the decision to ignore changes in hotspots (which would include anything beyond hotspots for F8) and cartridge RAM was already made. Neither one is a "previous version" or "alternate rom", since it's impossible to use such ROM locations for program or data anyway. It doesn't even matter to the 2600, since the hardware doesn't utilize the NMI vector (xFFA-xFFB) at all.

I disagree. While in this case it really doesn't matter (the bytes don't appear to be used), I see no reason you can't use xFFA and xFFB for a two byte table in an F8 cart. Also, break and reset vectors can be different for different for each bank.

Okay, than a bad dump that Pole Position is.

@ Nukey, are you saying any bytes above $FFF7 in F8 bankswitching can't be read? I think some F8 games at least use a break vector in one bank but not the other... Jungle Hunt springs to mind.

I would like to test this your theory on real hardware, but I have no Atari right now. However if someone wants to have a go, then they might modify this test program I wrote over Christmas.

PassTest.zip

This test program was designed to answer if it is possible to read $FFF8 in bank 0, and $FFF9 in bank 1 when you are using F8 bankswitching. Over Cristmas I was able to test it on real hardware and found out that yes you can!! Providing that I made no logical errors in the programming, I see no reason why it couldn't be slightly altered to test bytes some bytes at $FFFA to $FFFF in either bank with $F8 bankswitching.