IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

Rom, that is a completely bad dump.

I also see off of Atarimania's new page that Pangasinan and Dino were able to dump Cosmic War, Journey Escape, and Spacechase. Was there anymore dumps done? Was the last Puzzy game dumped?

I'll update the list on the first post. Please let me know what was done (or post the roms here as well) so I can keep it up to date. :)

My understanding is taht pangasinan sent you a PM with all the roms i dumped for him. better PM him and find out what is going on ;)

I also see off of Atarimania's new page that Pangasinan and Dino were able to dump Cosmic War, Journey Escape, and Spacechase. Was there anymore dumps done? Was the last Puzzy game dumped?

I'll update the list on the first post. Please let me know what was done (or post the roms here as well) so I can keep it up to date. :)

My understanding is taht pangasinan sent you a PM with all the roms i dumped for him. better PM him and find out what is going on ;)

No i only sent him the prototype roms.

Hence the confusion.

I'll update the list on the first post. Please let me know what was done (or post the roms here as well) so I can keep it up to date.

Shark Attack (PAL) was also dumped.

8)

Shark Attack (PAL) was also dumped.

8)

So Cosmic War, Journey Escape, Spacechase, and Shark Attack then. Also the Gameline Module has finally been dumped. :) It's been a busy week for dumps, and a very good week. Read more about the Gameline here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151749-gameline-modem/

Also, Pangasinan if you are reading this did you get my PM? I haven't heard back from you... Nobody's shared the dumps with me, and I'd like to look at all the dumps done if I could. :)

Jeff

Great! I'll cross Phantom Tank off of the list now. It's too bad the Gakken rom didn't work out.

@Dino: I don't know if your dumper rolls or not when you play a game, as it was originally NTSC. Does it?

Anyhow try playing the game first. If you don't get the black screen of death, then try dumping it and you should be good. Usually the bad dumps occur when the cart is not making good contact with the 7800.

Jeff

Also I found the Home Vision rom very intersting. More on that later.

Did anyone ever scrutinize the ROM? This is not simply an overdump, but an 8K ROM!

The first 4K are filled with about 1.5k code, the 2nd one with about 3k. So both together do not fit into 4k.

Speculation:

1. The hacker added some new code (most likely by far)

2. Todd Frye's unknown, lost 8k Pac-Man proto :)

I am no Pac-Man expert, does it play differently?

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Great! I'll cross Phantom Tank off of the list now. It's too bad the Gakken rom didn't work out.

@Dino: I don't know if your dumper rolls or not when you play a game, as it was originally NTSC. Does it?

Anyhow try playing the game first. If you don't get the black screen of death, then try dumping it and you should be good. Usually the bad dumps occur when the cart is not making good contact with the 7800.

Jeff

Also I found the Home Vision rom very intersting. More on that later.

I use a TV that supports NTSC format as well as PAL. And yes, I tried it out before dumping. i dont know what went wrong with it. i tried the importants games on the krok and they worked, but i didnt try that one out. i'm pretty sure i have a marine wars somewhere. it was easier to get steve to send me his :D

Here are the dumps

What's up with te Q*bert and Obelix ROMs?

Are they different from the ones already dumped?

Thomas,

I'll play this Pac-Man to see if it's any different.

8)

They are from prototypes,i asked Jeff about a week ago to compare them with final versions,but he never answered me.

Well, it doesn't work on any emulator.

Thomas,

AFAIK that 8K Pac-Man is a hack job done in 2004 by a still unknown person.

I already moved this one to the Hacks & Homebrew collection eons ago.

Perhaps someone can have a better look at it to see what was actually changed or added?

The colors are more arcade like, that's all I noticed at a glance.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

i'm pretty sure i have a marine wars somewhere. it was easier to get steve to send me his :D

That'd be good. Does anyone have a PAL Bridge or PAL Pete Rose Baseball? Are these really rare?

What's up with te Q*bert and Obelix ROMs?

Qbert 100% matches the rom in your collection:

Q-bert (1983) (Parker Brothers, Dave Hampton, Tom Sloper) (931517) (PAL).bin so it is a final version.

Obelix is an incomplete dump, hence bad dump.

They are from prototypes,i asked Jeff about a week ago to compare them with final versions,but he never answered me.

I had no idea what you were talking about when you said prototype roms. I never got the PM! Pang, can you please double check your sent folder for me? I already double checked my inbox and I got nothing, so if messages aren't getting to me I'd really like to know. There is also another user id on these forums called OmegaMan or something, and I wonder if sometimes I get confused for him.

Also I'd be more than happy to take a look at the roms for you. It might take me longer now then before because of school, but it is a hobby of mine and I enjoy it. ;)

Omega,

Is the new dumped Phantom Tank 100% identical to the one already in our database?

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU=2&VERSION_ID=16443

8)

Yes, 100%. I'm glad to finally have closure, and I've crossed it off the list.

Did anyone ever scrutinize the ROM? This is not simply an overdump, but an 8K ROM!

The first 4K are filled with about 1.5k code, the 2nd one with about 3k. So both together do not fit into 4k.

Speculation:

1. The hacker added some new code (most likely by far)

2. Todd Frye's unknown, lost 8k Pac-Man proto :)

I am no Pac-Man expert, does it play differently?

@Nukey if you are reading this maybe you could take a look? I think you know Pac-Man better then anyone. ;)

i'm pretty sure i have a marine wars somewhere. it was easier to get steve to send me his :D

That'd be good. Does anyone have a PAL Bridge or PAL Pete Rose Baseball? Are these really rare?

I'm pretty sure i have both of those, so I'll try and dump them too at some point. I couldnt dump the pigs n wolf or the Atari 16-1. These two just dont work on a 7800...

I used to be able to dump 8k roms, but recently, they have all been timing out. Is there anything I can do??

I'm pretty sure i have both of those, so I'll try and dump them too at some point. I couldnt dump the pigs n wolf or the Atari 16-1. These two just dont work on a 7800...

I used to be able to dump 8k roms, but recently, they have all been timing out. Is there anything I can do??

From trial and error I have found these things help when I keep getting a cart timing out:

- Try playing the game on the 7800 first. If it starts up you shouldn't have to clean the cartridge.

- Next, try dumping a different game (doesn't have to be 8k). If it dumps correctly you should be good.

- If still no good, try unplugging the port cables and plugging them back in. You can also try switching ports on the 7800.

- Also, try leaving a 3 second or so delay between hitting the "reset" button on the 7800, and the "enter" button on the keyboard. Sometimes these small delays help.

- Try seeing if the cart can be auto-detected ( -tTEST ) and if not try overriding it to 8k ( -t26F8 ).

I had no idea what you were talking about when you said prototype roms. I never got the PM! Pang, can you please double check your sent folder for me? I already double checked my inbox and I got nothing, so if messages aren't getting to me I'd really like to know. There is also another user id on these forums called OmegaMan or something, and I wonder if sometimes I get confused for him.

Yes i have checked here is proof that i sent it.

post-12694-125511297589_thumb.jpg

Bridge (PAL) and Pete Rose Baseball (PAL) would be great.

Dino and Pangasinan,

Please double-check the list on post #1 to see if you own anything on it.

Also, I would like to know who owns any Activision SECAM carts (also shown on post #1)

It's a pity these carts have not been dumped yet.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Yes i have checked here is proof that i sent it.

Thanks. I asked Al to take a look and see if I'm missing any other PM's too. He needs some more info from you though to see what went wrong, so I invited you to the conversation with him. It's kinda weird how the PM's work now. They are like mini-forums. If you can help that would be great as there is probably a glitch in the software that needs to be debugged.

Also I took a look at the 1/2 Obelix rom that got dumped. So far it seems like the final verision, with the differences only at the hotspots, but those differences can be caused by the dumping method itself.

Cosmic War is very intersting. I think Rom wondered at some point if this could have been a Home Vision original. It appears very unlikely as the Home Vision logo was hacked in some places, using a different origin address then the rest of the rom. I still have to spend more time with the rom to get a more detailed understanding.

Bridge (PAL) and Pete Rose Baseball (PAL) would be great.

Dino and Pangasinan,

Please double-check the list on post #1 to see if you own anything on it.

Also, I would like to know who owns any Activision SECAM carts (also shown on post #1)

It's a pity these carts have not been dumped yet.

8)

Yes, and I'd be curious to know if Decathalon is FE bankswitching, and Space Shuttle too... Seems likes there are a few HES carts that need dumping as well.

Cosmic War is very intersting. I think Rom wondered at some point if this could have been a Home Vision original. It appears very unlikely as the Home Vision logo was hacked in some places, using a different origin address then the rest of the rom. I still have to spend more time with the rom to get a more detailed understanding.

I don't think I ever wondered if this one could be a Home Vision original, because I'm pretty sure it's a Puzzy original.

However, I used to think it was a Bit Corporation original.

Thanks for verifying!

Would like to know if the ZiMAG version (Cosmic Corridor) was a hack of the Home Vision, the Bit Corp or the Puzzy version, btw.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter