IGNORED

2600 Rom Comparisions and Dumps

Omegamatrix

As usual, excellent info and also very well described, Omega.

All dumps added to the V5 collection and the Atarimania database.

Many thanks again, Dino!

I've added the Goliath Phantom Tank to our Puzzy section as well, because I'm 99,9% convinced it's the same ROM.

I've changed the original versions from Bit Corporation to Puzzy too.

About Puzzy being older than Bit Corporation:

When you compare the cart label artwork of both companies, you'll discover that the Bit Corporation artwork of the cart labels is slightly cut off.

Puzzy:

http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU...ERSION_ID=16442

Bit Corporation:

http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?VERS...4121&MENU=2

The Puzzy cart labels show slightly more of the artwork, which points to the direction that the Puzzy artwork is original, hence older.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

About Puzzy being older than Bit Corporation:

When you compare the cart label artwork of both companies, you'll discover that the Bit Corporation artwork of the cart labels is slightly cut off.

Puzzy:

http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?MENU...ERSION_ID=16442

Bit Corporation:

http://atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?VERS...4121&MENU=2

The Puzzy cart labels show slightly more of the artwork, which points to the direction that the Puzzy artwork is original, hence older.

Plus, both companies refer to the cartridge as "PG201," and presumably the "PG" stands for "Puzzy Games." If Bit Corp. were older, why would they use a cartridge numbering scheme that starts with "PG"?

Michael

I've added the Goliath Phantom Tank to our Puzzy section as well, because I'm 99,9% convinced it's the same ROM.

I'm at 99.9% too, but I'm leaving it on the list of games to be dumped for now, because... hey, you never know. I think it's important to verify no changes were done in this case as we believe it to be the earliest version of this game.

Plus, both companies refer to the cartridge as "PG201," and presumably the "PG" stands for "Puzzy Games." If Bit Corp. were older, why would they use a cartridge numbering scheme that starts with "PG"?

Michael

I've thought about those numbers before, but never made that connection, lol. It is so simple. Makes sense to me. :)

• 1 month later...

Up today we have some new Ample Ace sample carts from Dino. :D More information can be found on Ample Ace a few posts back in this thread, but basically they seemed to have at least been a distributer for Bit Corporation. There are two roms to look at today, and one of them is a new dump.

SampleCarts.zip

The Space Tunnel dump is 100% the same as the NTSC released version. Space Tunnel was released in NTSC flavour by Puzzy/Bit Corp, and soon afterward became pirated by many companies such as Zimag and CCE. Because of the Puzzy logo is present in the PAL Goliath rom; the Puzzy version seems to be the true original. Puzzy carts are very hard to come by in both NTSC or PAL format. PAL is exceptionally hard though.

Bobby is Going Home is our next game. This game is well, a little like Alice in Wonderland without those damn rabbits. Believe me I did feel like I was falling down the rabbit hole playing it. It's a classic Atari game in the sense that you have no idea what the programmer was smoking. You guide little Bobby to his "house", but he seems to be living on the edge of dimensions. The actual screen with his house has stars zipping by between this universe and the next, and there is lightning striking. I felt mildly disturbed by that, but I must say the zipping stars are an impressive visual.

Along the way to his house Bobby must avoid bats, butterflies, and jump over retracting bridges. There are obstacles in his way like teapots. Don't ask me what teapots are doing in the middle of the path, but I swear they are teapots. The manual calls them fences, but they are teapots. There are also the so called "rolling stones" (as the instruction manual calls them). These things kind of remind me of the Octorok's out of the original Legend of Zelda (NES). The big bird flying high in the background looks like the bird out of Forest by Sancho, and their is also a bird that looks like it was straight out of Condor Attack.

The differences between the sample copy and the PAL Bit Corp version are as follows. Note there was some shuffling around inside the rom, so a disassembly was needed.

- The color of the score display (which continually counts down) is darker in the sample copy

- The Bit Corp Logo has been altered

- The jumping animation is different

- Some adjustments were made to the vertical position of Bobby

- Shuffling around of the rom including a data table in a different place, I couldn't find anything else that made a visible difference

First the jumping animation. "A" is the sample copy, while "B" is the released version. The front of the hat and the arms are different.

post-7074-1242780577_thumb.png

Now the logos. What is really interesting is all the Bit Corp logos I could find were 100% the same. This is the only one that is different. The "i" and "t' are lower case, while the "C" is stretched. The first logo, logo "A" is the common Bit Corp logo. Logo "B" is the sample copy version.

When I said all the Bit Corp logos I did exclude one. There is a logo stuck inside of NTSC Karate. That is believed to be a fancier Bit Corp Logo. I've shown it as logo "C". There seems to be similarites in how they chose lower case "i" and "t" while going with a capital "O". I've thought a lot about what comes after "CO". I think they were trying to shorten the logo to Bit CO, and leaving a ";" or distorted ":". I kept trying to make out an "R", but it just isn't there.

post-7074-1242781637_thumb.png

Finally even though this "fancy" logo appears in NTSC Karate, it might have nothing to do with it. It appears to be garabage data, but Karate is a story for another day.

Again, excellent information.

Many thanks, Omega (and of course Dino for dumping the carts).

So this could very well be the earliest version of Bobby Is Going Home known to exist.

I'll add it to the V5 collection.

8)

It's definitely different, but I can't say if it's an earlier or later version unless I find a bug, and then bug fix. The other Ample Ace cart that was different was Mission 3000 AD, and that was a deliberate change.

It could be an earlier version, yes. It also could be a way of tracking if someone was pirating their stuff. Making subtle changes in the rom and then hand them out as sample copies. If another company has pirated your rom you'll know what customer you gave it to (providing you make ever sample cart different).

That sounds like a lot of work though. Maybe it is an earlier version.

Maybe it is an earlier version.
I think it is.

The gameplay is not as smooth as the released version.

Bobby is sinking to his waist in quicksand the moment he lands after jumping.

BTW: the reviewed Jacky Jump from Home Vision displayed the same logo as the released version (upper case BIT).

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

The gameplay is not as smooth as the released version.

Bobby is sinking to his waist in quicksand the moment he lands after jumping.

Good catch Rom, that definitely is a bug. I noticed what you are talking about but never thought to compare it with the other rom. I believe it happens on a screen with retracting bridges.

I looked through my disassembly and I think I found the place that is causing it. At least when I NOP'd it out it no longer occured. Since the released version doesn't have this bug I have to agree that this is the earliest version of Bobby Is Going Home ever found.

Here's a rough disassembly. I was particulary impressed how the preceding zero's are blanked in the score display. Never got to the starfield though. No time.

BobbyIsGoingHome.zip

• 3 months later...

I'm certain it's the same ROM as the Goliath version:

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_soft.php?VERSION_ID=11813&MENU=2

Shark Attack (PAL) and Spacechase (PAL) would wrap up the Apollo dumps.

Anyone?

8)

You should strike out phantom tank from the 1st page then,i can get spacechase and shark attack by Apollo dumped also.

Edited by pangasinan

• 4 weeks later...

Lucky Man with the help of Mitch were able to finally dump an NTSC Z-Tack:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/117831-who-owns-a-ntsc-z-tack/page__view__findpost__p__1848420

The old dump for Z-Tack was wrong. Given how Bomb carts seem to die (and are rare to begin with), it's great to finally get this done. I also believe the dump for Wall Defender (NTSC) is wrong, but that remains to be seen.

Z-Tack (NTSC) correct dump.zip

Comparing this NTSC dump to the PAL counterpart, the differences lie in values loaded into the timers, and the values of the color tables. This is expected. I looked for changes in any other areas and couldn't find none. It looks like the dump is 100% good with no bit rot or anything unusual.

Dino has also dumped the ultra-rare original style Funvision T-handle Time Warp, the one that looks like this:

time_warp_funvision_t_handle_cart.jpg

It's rom is 100% the same as the other Funvision T-handle Time Warp:

time_warp_funvision_t_handle_cart_2.jpg

Rom, that is a completely bad dump.

I also see off of Atarimania's new page that Pangasinan and Dino were able to dump Cosmic War, Journey Escape, and Spacechase. Was there anymore dumps done? Was the last Puzzy game dumped?

I'll update the list on the first post. Please let me know what was done (or post the roms here as well) so I can keep it up to date. :)