IGNORED

Forum Upgrade Complete!

Albert

The Ukrainian in my sig is actually messed up and the words are separated where they aren't supposed to be on my individual page but are ok in the thread. I wonder if there are any problems with the words in different languages in the International forum?

That's quite interesting. If you can provide me with the the thread where they appear properly so I can compare it to your signature, I can investigate further.

Where is the "Mark all Blogs as read" button? Is it (still) missing?

Unfortunately the blogs seem not to have improved much. If a user is marked as having a new blog entry reply, I still cannot find which blog entry was updated. So when someone replies to an older entry, it is hard to find answer.

And without the missing button, I am now forced to manually check all entries to get the "new" mark away.

It's likely that that button is "still" missing. I will endeavor to add one myself, although it won't be a high priority at the moment. I know that Invision plans to spend some time making improvements to the Blog module now that they have 3.0 out the door. I'll have to look to see if there has been discussion about finding new blog entry replies. I agree it's quite tedious now.

I very much miss the "My Posts" feature. Frequently I want to cruise through and check on the replies to some question I posted earlier. When I didn't have time to wade through all the new posts, that feature was extremely handy. Oh, and please bring back the "Mark all as read" function too!

"My Posts" will be coming back soon. It's on the top of my list. The "Mark all as read" link does exist, it's on the main forum index:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/

Look at the very bottom of the page for "Mark Board as Read".

I noted an issue with textsize.

You can not change the textsize when you browse the forums using IE 6 (Menu View / TextSize) .

I did a quick test with FireBug (firefox).. , it works.

IE6 is not supported very well--I'm sure you've noticed the forum does not look very good with it. It's possible a third-party may make a decent IE6-compatible skin, but since this software is still fairly new, I don't think one has been released yet. But I will keep my eyes open.

Opera (9.64) seems to have some slight rendering problems where FF 3.5 looks ok.

I'll install Opera and try to fix those issues. The search box looks the same way in Safari, although the buttons render fine.

Custom status not showing?

I have this on my list to fix.

Also when I return to the main forum page, the information bar on the right you can hide (by clicking the arrow) sometimes reappears automatically. Any idea why?

I'm guessing that it keeps track of whether or not to display the "sidebar" in a cookie. Are you not saving cookies?

..Al

Looks great!

Minor question: How do you edit your posts? Well, I mean the posts that are tad older?

At present you cannot edit your older posts. That is near the top of my list of things to fix. And by "fix" I mean re-program this modification for the new software. The modification allows admins and moderators to selectively enable editing of individual posts, as well as allow entire forums (such as the Marketplace forums) to be editable indefinitely. I plan on adding this back today, as it should be relatively straightforward to put back in. I had planned on making this mod available for others, so I have detailed notes on what I changed.

..Al

Overall, I really like the new update!!!! :thumbsup:

I am already getting used to it. :)

BTW: This thread looks like the quotes might have been broken:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/148861-90-year-old-german-sentenced-to-life-sentence/page__pid__1819982__st__40entry1819982

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

All post content has to be rebuilt to reprocess BBcode tags, such as the "quote" tag as they are stored differently in the database now. I am currently running a script to fix them, which it's doing in chronological order. It's up to 615,000 posts now. The post you linked to above is a new post since the upgrade, quoting old quotes from before the upgrade. So that is a mix of old and new. It's possible quotes of that nature will not be fixed properly as I think the script skips posts that are saved in the new format. I'll have to take a look at the above post once the script is complete.

..Al

Love the new look forum :thumbsup: There are a few problems with the search box and watch this topic button not being displayed correctly in 800 x 600 mode.

I also found that the emoticon box sometimes appears over the right hand side of the text editing box when writing a post (the text box doesn't shrink to the left?).

post-12382-125076558683_thumb.jpg

Love the new look forum :thumbsup: There are a few problems with the search box and watch this topic button not being displayed correctly in 800 x 600 mode.

I also found that the emoticon box sometimes appears over the right hand side of the text editing box when writing a post (the text box doesn't shrink to the left?).

Screen.jpg

Looks like you are using Internet Explorer 6. That browser is very old and not standards compliant at all. Invision made a conscious decision to not go out of their way to support IE6, so many things are broken. If you can, I highly suggest you use IE7, IE8, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome, or some other considerably more modern browser.

Regarding the 800x600 issue, the forum was designed for a minimum width of 1024, so things are going to crash together a bit in 800x600.

..Al

Sorry, but I don't like the new look. Just have a look at the Colecovision HSC forum. The cheesy blue borders around the pictures and screenshots, all "forum- internal" links are broken, the line pitch

isn't correct (Pac-Man-collection-thread for example). The "Important-topic"-section is gone, the polls are confusing... In one word: the new forum is ugly. With one forum-update, the design of many

Colecovision-HSC-threads is messed up. I feel "empty" so far...

It seems, that atm no rss feed for a specific forum is available (e.g. 2600) - only all systems is there. As I liked to have this within my favourites bar in firefox: Al, could you please add some more rss feeds, so that I have the specific forum again ;)

Well, it will take time & some getting used to as everything is so much bigger it seems and there is less posts and text, on all pages I've viewed, that will fit on the screen at any one time = more scrolling/less visability. No I am not running 1920x???? I have a 18" monitor with 1024x768 resolution, unforunately I don't have a big screen monitor like everbody else.

Edit: this bigness I mention, I think it may just be all the new big blue borders around tabs, names, topics and stuff.

When carrying on a PM conversation, where several replies to previous messages are done by hitting the reply button rather than starting a brand new empty PM, whatever way you bring up the message, by responding to the email that is sent to you or going into your PMs onsite, you must scroll down to the very bottom to get the lastest message! Granted the PM response message of the person your talking to, sent through to your email, does include the conversations' latest entry, and it didn't before - that is good!

But it still remains that when viewing a multiple response PM on-site that the most recent message entry should be at the top of the page, not at the bottom (since each entry is separated now) - so now much scrolling is necessary when viewing PM conversations onsite. So the current "new PM at the bottom" should be reversed I feel.

With the old software I used to go to the top of a multiple response PM, hit enter to make some space and put my most recent response at the top, as a courtesy to the recipient so he didn't have to scroll down and also so he can some read of the new entry in the PM pop-up window and not see old already said/read words.

Edit: Are all PMs "sent" and "inbox" combined into one big pile now?? I don't know if I like that, if so.

Edited by ovalbugmann

Cartainly everything is a lot slower than before, and you see lees than before on the screen at any one time with the same resolution. There's nothing I see at the moment that makes it any better, but that's the way of the internet, I suppose. On the other hand, I do need to upgrade my browser.

Cartainly everything is a lot slower than before, and you see lees than before on the screen at any one time with the same resolution. There's nothing I see at the moment that makes it any better, but that's the way of the internet, I suppose. On the other hand, I do need to upgrade my browser.

Things are slower at the moment because I am running a resource-intensive script in the background to rebuild all post content. It's about halfway done at this point.

..Al

Where's the "go to first unread post" icon on the left? I use that all the time, but don't see it anymore.

If you are using "View New Content" or "Today's Active Content" you just click on the actual thread title and that will bring you to the first new post. I may change this at some point and add the "First Unread Post" icon back (since it is used elsewhere--it's a Combat tank at the moment).

..Al

I'm using "view new content", and it still takes me to post 1, page 1 on whichever thread. I miss that icon already. :)

Well, it will take time & some getting used to as everything is so much bigger it seems and there is less posts and text, on all pages I've viewed, that will fit on the screen at any one time = more scrolling/less visability. No I am not running 1920x???? I have a 18" monitor with 1024x768 resolution, unforunately I don't have a big screen monitor like everbody else.

I will be reducing some of the fonts a bit in size to be closer to the previous forum skin. It really shouldn't be significantly "larger" than before. I am looking at the forum on my laptop using Firefox 3.5 and it's certainly not "so much bigger".

When carrying on a PM conversation, where several replies to previous messages are done by hitting the reply button rather than starting a brand new empty PM, whatever way you bring up the message, by responding to the email that is sent to you or going into your PMs onsite, you must scroll down to the very bottom to get the lastest message!

The link in the PM email should take you right to the latest message. If it doesn't, that's a bug. If you go straight to your inbox instead, you can click on the small Combat tank icon for any messages with new posts to jump directly to the first unread post.

But it still remains that when viewing a multiple response PM on-site that the most recent message entry should be at the top of the page, not at the bottom (since each entry is separated now) - so now much scrolling is necessary when viewing PM conversations onsite. So the current "new PM at the bottom" should be reversed I feel.

Since personal conversations are now more akin to forum threads, I think it would be confusing if PMs were reversed in this fashion.

With the old software I used to go to the top of a multiple response PM, hit enter to make some space and put my most recent response at the top, as a courtesy to the recipient so he didn't have to scroll down and also so he can some read of the new entry in the PM pop-up window and not see old already said/read words.

What you're describing here is a personal preference. Some people like to post below the quoted text, some people above. :)

Edit: Are all PMs "sent" and "inbox" combined into one big pile now?? I don't know if I like that, if so.

Yes, they are. For old PMs that were imported into the new system, it's a little confusing at first glance. As you create conversations this will become less of an issue since each "conversation" is self contained instead of several separate messages. The PM system is one of the areas that saw the largest changes. I personally like it, although it is very different.

If you go to your inbox and scroll to the bottom you'll see a drop-down. You can choose "Show: Conversations I Started" to replicate the behavior of the "Sent" folder.

..Al

I'm using "view new content", and it still takes me to post 1, page 1 on whichever thread. I miss that icon already. :)

Reset your topic markers by clicking the "Mark Board As Read" link at the very bottom of the page. The topic marker system completely changed and all messages became "unread" when the switch was made.

..Al

A few things I am aware of, such as:

- Ability to allow users to selectively edit posts

- The "My Posts" page