IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

we are on itunes, but all of our episodes are not available for whatever dumb reason :|

I enjoy your podcast I do not use Itunes just subscribe via RSS and works good for me

except it only goes back to Ep 10

EDIT: I got feed that goes all the way back

all the shows are available for direct download on the website. episode 1 (video game store war stories) is probably still my favorite show

Subscribed & agreed. It's still on my DSi from years back when I used it for podcasts.

Let's talk about podcast song intros.

1. What's that goofy late 70s sounding tune on Retro Domination?

2. I like Ferghead's(or as I call him, Emperor Fergihoto of the Atari Dynasty) choice of musical intro. It sounds like an Amiga MOD file for some game.

And in other news, I'm recording an episode right now about Midwest Gaming Classic.

• Like 1

Hey just saw Robert Ashley is kindof back after a long absence. He had a couple musical updates since, & now back with an hr+ episode. I'll listen since I inhaled Retro Domination & 2600 GameByGame already tonight.

Wow, the space-agey background music REALLY distracts from & inteferes with the spoken parts. Im guessing this is original music Ashley wishes to showcase, but it just doesnt fit.

I guess the subject matter is interesting & compelling enough to keep me listening- for now.

Let's talk about podcast song intros.

1. What's that goofy late 70s sounding tune on Retro Domination?

2. I like Ferghead's(or as I call him, Emperor Fergihoto of the Atari Dynasty) choice of musical intro. It sounds like an Amiga MOD file for some game.

And in other news, I'm recording an episode right now about Midwest Gaming Classic.

Hey just saw Robert Ashley is kindof back after a long absence. He had a couple musical updates since, & now back with an hr+ episode. I'll listen since I inhaled Retro Domination & 2600 GameByGame already tonight.

Awww, you guys! :rolling:

I'm really happy you guys like it. I was very worried that you would give me a bad rating in this thread if I ever got around to starting it. Thank you so much for listening! :-D

• Like 2

Well, dont worry about us, the last reason to put off doing anything is to worry about what others will think. Keep on doing what you're doing, & I'll continue to donate when applicable. BTW you got a mention on the latest Retrogaming Roundup!

Just a heads up to the few here that listen to Kris and I's 'cast (implantgames), the next episode was done on schedule two weeks ago, but his Wordpress broke (likely a virus). At this moment, Kris has made several [futile] attempts to fix it, but with no luck so far.. Unfortunately the next episode will be on hold until he gets the site fixed. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

New podcast detected...The Retro Junkies Super Show (or the Real Retro Junkies)

Hosts/friends Landon & Giggles McLaffy...er, uh- Rob...have a young podcast, 5 eps. old. I say that because he has a high, tittery laugh that he emits every...oh, about 4 seconds, & often ends sentences with it. I never thought a negative aspect would be the host over-enjoying himself. If you can get around that, & Landon's Suthun drawwwl, they're not half bad.

No major podcasting rules broken, appropriate subject matter (save for a "Modern Moment" segment...which IMO no "Real Retro Junkies" should have ANYTHING to do with modern gaming), not up to No Quarter quality, but passable. Grade: B-

The Retro Junkies Super Show: 2/3rds the way into (80s arcade episode). It's a real good podcast. Likeable hosts, no excessive swearing, actual retro content(pre-crash content as a bonus). Even an accoustic song was sung on the show. All sorts of things going on. Will subscribe: B+

And just when I thought we were in a lull for new podcasts.

Fergie Wan Kanobie: We would never trash your 'cast. You read countless pages of citations & criticisms of other podcasts on this thread before embarking on your own, so you know what will pan out & what won't for a 'cast.

Now, when are we getting another ep of Now You're Playing With Podcast?

• Like 1

The Retro Junkies Super Show: 2/3rds the way into (80s arcade episode). It's a real good podcast. Likeable hosts, no excessive swearing, actual retro content(pre-crash content as a bonus). Even an accoustic song was sung on the show. All sorts of things going on.

Yah, it's weird...I found their wacky storyline for that '90s episode compelling, interesting, & funny, & I VERY seldom go in for/appreciate that kind of thing. Years back Drunken Gamers Radio had some sort of "space opera" they were pushing (even going so far as making the soundtrack available for purchase :ponder:) & I never bothered because it seemed like the stupidest thing ever.

While DGR's thing was more of a side project (but IIRC they included opera eps. within the podcast)

& Retro Junkies thing was nowhere near as involved, it's along the same lines of deviating from the usual podcast content/delivery, & I dont often care for that.

Edited by RJ

I've got a few questions for you podcast-listening regulars here--how do you feel when it comes to a show's audio quality? Does it make a big difference for you? Do you mind brief drops or cuts (or general garbage) due to recording directly off of services like Skype? If little glitches or distorted audio do bother you, how bad would it have to be to keep you from listening? How about when it comes to consistency (for instance, one person sounding fine, and the other breaking up slightly here and there)?

On the flip side, are you the kind of person that would prefer something that sounds pristine (studio quality)? These questions are of course all being asked strictly from an aesthetic perspective (not from a "is the show actually good" point of view). What bothers you, and what doesn't?

• Like 1

I've got a few questions for you podcast-listening regulars here--how do you feel when it comes to a show's audio quality? Does it make a big difference for you? Do you mind brief drops or cuts (or general garbage) due to recording directly off of services like Skype? If little glitches or distorted audio do bother you, how bad would it have to be to keep you from listening? How about when it comes to consistency (for instance, one person sounding fine, and the other breaking up slightly here and there)?

I generally don't mind minor glitches here & there in skype recordings. It gets annoying when everyone's attention gets diverted from the discussion in regards to it. If it's a bad recording day, stop & try again later. Or mooch off of someone else's wifi.

Audio quality in general doesn't mater much to me. As long as you aren't using a webcam mic, which picks up everything well except the person's voice.

I'd rather have so-so quality in audio and something good to hear, than a professionally engineered podcast where the content is purely boring garbage(ie modern gaming talk)

• Like 1

I mainly listen in an industrial setting at work, so if a show isnt recorded loud enough, I listen on break or save it for home. Sometimes that bugs me. I like audible (not yellers) hosts that know & understand our language & use inflection- not quiet, mousy, airy, or monotone speakers (see: Kat Bailey or Press Start's NostalgicDan). IMO these people shouldnt be podcasting. Having a broadcasting voice, without overdoing it, is a plus- & I take note of that, like "hey, he's got a good voice, he can speak well, I'll listen to what he has to say."

Also, if a show segment is recorded remotely, like at a tradeshow/con like PAX or MGC, audio quality tends to suffer then & if it's poor enough to me (if I must "strain" or concentrate to hear) I'll skip the entire segment. An ideal podcast to me, flows into or fills my ears...uh, that's a bit weird.

I dont mind if one person during a podcast has brief or occasional trouble. If it continues thru the show &/or is ongoing then I'll take note. & though I dont know the first techincal thing about podcasting, but if an experienced host repeatedly has audio probs. I'd consider that a negative, or strike against them, even moreso if I dont like them ;)

A good example was Retrogaming Roundup a few shows back. I liked & apppreciated SoCals input during the news segment- he's the most "grounded" of them & adds stability. When his audio failed I knew the ofher guys would act like the teacher left the room, which detracts from the show's overall quality.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

Wth i sub to 25 podcasts & only 2 updated yesterday? Whats everyone doing?

In other podcast news, out of boredom I d/led 4 eps of the dreaded Future Retro podcast, which i voted worst in the last Poddie Awards. Just to see if anything changed (got better). They have new artwork, a professional-sounding opening, but still the same David Mamet profanity-laden content, the female cohost adds "...& shit" to her sentences, & current-gen/modern game talk.

One segment about arcades looked promising, but it only amounted to each cohost talking about their favorite arcade game for a minute or two. I shouldve known better, why do I do it to myself?

Wth i sub to 25 podcasts & only 2 updated yesterday? Whats everyone doing?

Like with dating, it's either a feast or famine. Never in between. I have 5 unexpected days off of work(use it or lose it PTO), so hopefully I'll throw my contribution(ie release en ep) sometime this weekend.

Not video game related, but I might give this one a casual listen: http://throwbackreviews.com/

Needs more classic gaming talk/discussion. I skipped around quite a bit, & I'm sorry but if there's a certain point where they discuss retrogaming for 10 minutes please post the timestamp. I heard a half-hr of PAX talk (ugh), news about MicroSoft, some new iOS tribbia(?) game & FPS talk.

I suggest listening rather than viewing because something's just not right about current-gen discussion against a background of coinops & a Pac-Man sleeping bag covering the table.

I'd rather watch a slow rotating shot of Joe's store & soak in the classic gaming goodness.

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1