IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Hey, RJ! Oh, no worries there! I never took it personally. As a matter of fact, my laugh has garnered so much attention over the years that I'm known as the hyena at work! lol Landon and I just appreciate you all listening. That means we have about 6 listeners now!

• Like 1

Thanks, Harmik! Do you guys have any suggestions for us? Maybe some do's and don't's? We're still trying to figure out what the heck we're doing!

Um, on some page on this thread RJ or I outlined good podcastin' tips. The only thing I can think to add to that would be "no Final Fantasy talk".

• Like 1

Um, on some page on this thread RJ or I outlined good podcastin' tips. The only thing I can think to add to that would be "no Final Fantasy talk".

Haha I can see the Final Fantasy topic ban for sure! Hey, S1500, are you Atariman from podomatic? If so, thanks again for all the kind words!

Edited by Rob2586

Haha I can see the Final Fantasy topic ban for sure! Hey, S1500, are you Atariman from podomatic? If so, thanks again for all the kind words!

That is I. Originally for "atariman", I was going to make a doofus-ish alter ego that would have been not unlike Keith Apicary. But pulling that off would have been too much work, so thus a normal podcast was born.

• Like 1

Do you guys have any suggestions for us? Maybe some do's and don't's?

Well as I wrote in post #738 on page 30 of this topic, a show named "Real Retro Junkies" really shouldnt have a "Modern Moment" segment, since Real Retro Junkies wouldnt be concerned with anything modern (current-gen).

AFAIC that segment, no matter how small, can be axed. Maybe do it every other show, or alternate it w/ an extra-special retro segment. But of course, it's your show- if you feel the need to get or retain listeners with modern talk, then keep it. & change your name.

• Like 2

That is I. Originally for "atariman", I was going to make a doofus-ish alter ego that would have been not unlike Keith Apicary. But pulling that off would have been too much work, so thus a normal podcast was born.

Ah, I had a feeling that was you! I really liked your latest episode. Awesome music choices!

• Like 1

Well as I wrote in post #738 on page 30 of this topic, a show named "Real Retro Junkies" really shouldnt have a "Modern Moment" segment, since Real Retro Junkies wouldnt be concerned with anything modern (current-gen).

AFAIC that segment, no matter how small, can be axed. Maybe do it every other show, or alternate it w/ an extra-special retro segment. But of course, it's your show- if you feel the need to get or retain listeners with modern talk, then keep it. & change your name.

Oh, I actually remember reading that, and Landon and I have quietly put the Modern Moment to rest! lol I think we're going to trim down the news segments and randomly retro stuff a little unless we find something unbelievably amazing to talk about before the main segment/video game review.

Ah, I had a feeling that was you! I really liked your latest episode. Awesome music choices!

Why thank you. That makes my listener count to 2, for it hath doubled! That reminds me, I gotta record a segment on that arcade I'm hitting in Denmark.

• Like 1

A podcast that I have finally got around to listening has entered the game:

Factory Sealed - Starting on Episode 2. Halfway through this episode, it's not bad. They talk about Faxanadu. The 3 hosts get along and have decent flow. Worth subscribing. C+

Fell asleep to yet another AllGen Gamers episode. I didnt even re-download it to hear what i missed. Last thing I recall is Jason Heine following fan orders to cuss it up. No idea what this adds to the show, it's not like you cant get your daily dose of

profanity anywhere else you turn.

As soon as a decent replacement podcast comes along, im kicking AGG to the MF curb y'all

Found a trio of podcasts serching the word "retro" on iTunes. Seems lots of these are attempting to follow in the Retroist's & YDKFlack's retro-flavored 'casts. Tried & true formula? That remains to be seen for these latest shows.

RETRO REJECTS: Woody Allen-voiced Vintage Video Game Geek tries again after his prior podcast (Hit Reset Radio) seems to have bit the digital dust. Now he's paired with fellow YouTuber (ugh) NESComplex for a monthly show, not wholly game-related, but discussing retro topics, "myooo-vees", news, etc. Unfortunately this ep. featured YouTube, Transformers, & an ongoing Star Trek segment, with gaming mentioned briefly here & there. Well, at least they got the name right...it fits. D+

RETRO REWIND: 3 stoners also discuss retro movies & games. I only heard the latest (SM Kart) show; it didnt hold my interest, not that they did anything wrong. Reminds me of One More PodCastle in that it exists & is there to listen to. The world wouldn't end without it. C

LATE TO THE PARTY: although current-gen based, actually the best of the 3 listed, definitely the "smartest" or most cerebral.They did a couple good eps. from April 2012: music/rhythm games, & DS Retro Game Challenge. They went way in-depth about it, & its non-US sequel. Ex-Retronaut & internet shyster Ray Barnholdt guests & brings his potty-mouth. B+ (retro eps. only)

RETRO REJECTS: Woody Allen-voiced Vintage Video Game Geek tries again after his prior podcast (Hit Reset Radio) seems to have bit the digital dust. Now he's paired with fellow YouTuber (ugh) NESComplex for a monthly show, not wholly game-related, but discussing retro topics, "myooo-vees", news, etc. Unfortunately this ep. featured YouTube, Transformers, & an ongoing Star Trek segment, with gaming mentioned briefly here & there. Well, at least they got the name right...it fits. D+

That's a bit of a shame to hear. NESComplex makes fantastic videos.

That's a bit of a shame to hear. NESComplex makes fantastic videos.

Oh, I see- I wasnt "ugh"ing the guy himself, just that he's from (& mentioning) Youtube again. We dont need to hear more about Youtube on podcasts. I cant watch Youtube during my commutes & at work. It means nothing to me.

Wow, Nerd Lunch's Pax has such a nasal voice, it hurts my nose when I listen.

Superficial as it sounds, one voice I don't like makes me not want to listen to the whole podcast. There's that 80s review podcast I recently subscribed to, and will soon be unsubbing from due to one of the voices. If you don't like the singer, would you listen to the band?

• Like 1

Superficial as it sounds....If you don't like the singer, would you listen to the band?

Excellent point! I was hoping I wouldn't come off sounding superficial; your post helps illustrate my concern perfectly.

I think back to that podcast (title escapes me) that had a host with an Fudd-esque speech impediment AND a stutter. Who could stand an hour or more of that?

BTW- that 80s review show you're dumping, would it be throwbackreviews? If so, I think I know the host you mean ;)

Edited by RJ