IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Too bad you can't rename this thread to "A buttload of worthy video game podcasts"

I was whining to somebody the other day that I didn't have enough good podcasts to listen to anymore during my commute to work. Now because of this thread I'm afraid I may have more to listen to than I have commute time.

S

• Like 3

Too bad you can't rename this thread to "A buttload of worthy video game podcasts"

Yep the title's misleading, it began as 2 podcasts & just kinda spiraled out of comtrol, but in a good way. It's proven its worth by alerting members to existing podcasts out there, & which to avoid. Also giving podcasters a chance to alert potential listeners of their shows' content.

37 pages & growing, can't really die until podcasts go away.

Almost nothing for last week's downloads, now it's a downpour of new episodes, just like Minnesota's weather. Yes, I can excuse myself for not working on a new episode, for lack of electricity.

By all means, change the title. This thread has become legendary, just like the Thrift Finds one.

• Like 1

Here is a work in progress media page on GameGavel that we plan on having a bunch of great podcast and Youtube feeds that we enjoy, and all in one place.

http://www.gamegavel.com/html/media.html

This is something GameGavel will be promoting heavily over the coming months :)

Any other good podasts we should add? Comics, Vintage Toys, etc

• Like 1

I added Atari to the name of my podcast where I could, so if you listen through iTunes, it will be up near the top instead of on the bottom. Blame Kevin Savetz. :)

New episode is about the M Network games Star Strike and Adventures of Tron. Lots of great info from Star Strike programmer David Akers!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/2600gamebygamepodcast/Episode_17_-_Star_Strike__Adventures_of_Tron.mp3

Aw, beat me to it. ANTIC's brand-new & I too am glad it's so narrowly focused (I was always an Atari guy). It got a bit dull toward the end but I forsee/hope for great things from them.

Also, got namedropped on No Quarter. I'm the guy who cleverly guessed Bubbles via Facebook & got Carrington laughing.

Cheers to Retro Game Squad on their FPS-themed podcast & liking the excellent Powerslave. They said the Saturn version is the best, I only ever played the PS version, & if that one's that good, I can only imagine how good the Saturn one is.

But they're way off on hating Jaguar Alien vs Predator (& again with the Jag controller bashing?) & slamming PS Dark Forces. The main host claims DF does nothing original, but then says you ride in [sewage] in a level. Well, isn't THAT original? Did any other DOOM clones do that back then? & to that point, DOOM was hot at that time, of course companies jumped on that bandwagon. DF is a Doom clone in a Star Wars costume, & never claimed to be anything more.

Also, their last hour was spent/wasted on the latest next-gen hoopla gobbledygook. I didnt bother listening- any 'cast with "retro" in the title has no business reporting on such crap IMO.

Edited by RJ

Anyone ever listen to "Back in My Play"? Only three episodes so far and (shocker) they're all Nintendo retro titles.

I might give them a whirl if they do other games.

http://backinmyplay.com/

I feel like I've heard all of this before, many times before. And as I posted this, Final Fantasy & Secret of Mana was of course uttered. C-

I have a 50 minute commute to work (one way), so I burn through a lot of podcasts. Here is what I listen to:

Retro Gaming Roundup – the first podcast I ever listened to, and still a favorite. The hosts have good chemistry and they’re not all stuffy or overly serious, which I like.

Retro Raming Radio –I sometimes think a more fitting name for this show would be “Dragon’s Lair Amiga Radio 64”, because those things easily account for more than half of the air time. To the show’s credit, host Shane R. Monroe has been doing this stuff for years and it shows; he’s a very fluid speaker with great pacing and timing, which makes the lopsided content much more tolerable than it otherwise would be.

All Gen Gamers – retro content on this show is usually relegated to footnote status rather than being a significant portion of the experience, but the hosts have a nice loose interaction and a good collective sense of humor. They are all avid “Youtubers”, but in a grand gesture of mercy, they don’t spend half their show rambling on about the Youtuber “scene”, which is by far the most excruciatingly tiresome thing I can imagine sitting through.

Operation Killscreen – this show is quite similar to AGG in format and breadth of subject matter, and it took a while to win me over, but Jumblejunkie appreciates classic arcade gaming (huge points for that) and he is one of the best hosts I’ve heard for maintaining order and structure on a “sit around and talk” podcast. The other two hosts are definitely just there for “color”, but it works. Too bad this show is effectively dead these days.

Radical Rascals – little to no retro here (which is too bad), but the hosts are literate and cover a wide range of topics. They used to waste a lot of time talking about podcasting and youtube, which was dull, but they don’t do much of that anymore. Humor is raunchy, which is fine with me.

Retro Junkies – I’m all turtled out, but fortunately, it looks like the hosts are moving turtle talk to a separate show. Still too young of a show to really form a full opinion, but I’ve enjoyed it so far, and look forward to more.

Retro Rejects – I fast forward the Star Trek talk, but aside from that unfortunate segment, it seems to be a good show. It’s still too new to really tell if I’ll keep listening; whether I do or not will probably hinge on the hosts’ ability to resist talking about Youtube clique bullshit.

2600 Game by Game – just started listening to this a few weeks ago. Very ambitious project, and I hope it reaches completion. I’ve noticed that the host seemed pretty uneasy in the first few shows, but is quickly finding his groove. I look forward to contributing stories to this show, but out of chance, the games that have been discussed since I started listening have been ones I’ve never (or rarely) played.

No Quarter – I’ve only listened to a few episodes, but I LOVE this show so far, as classic arcade games are my absolute favorite video games. The hosts have great complementary personalities, and the show has a great pace. I’m looking forward to getting fully caught up on this one.

Gameroom Junkies – this is a great show that also talks about arcade games, but they spend most of their time talking about pinball, which doesn’t interest me.

Hey guys!

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that we're still alive. lol We've had to take a little time off for family reasons, but Landon's on board for the illusive 9th episode of The Retro Junkies by the end of the month. Also, I'm hoping to do an interview this weekend with Derek Slaton who has written a 4-volume Sega Master System encyclopedia. I think I'm going to count it as a special instead of a regular episode, but it should be up on iTunes and Podomatic around this time next week. And lastly, my friend Nick and I are starting a weekly side-podcast dedicated to the Sega Genesis library in the next two weeks. It's called Genesis Gems Podcast. Our goal is to keep it short, focused, and fun, so if you guys ever want to check it out, we'd be honored.

Take it easy, guys. Hope all is well!

Edited by Rob2586