IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Listening to the latest RGR Jeff Minter interview w/ the extremely long annoying background noise, reminds me of my attempt to listen to a past ep. of Adventure Club Podcast. Gamester81 was being interviewed in-depth, being even moreso personal than on AGG/CGG, & damned if the idiot host played the ENTIRE Star Wars music CD "behind" it at a too-high level, attempting to add to the mood, but actually was completely distracting & ruined it.

Just another example of a podcast no-no.

Coast to Coast Pinball - A great pinball podcast. Easily the best pinball podcast overall. He has regular segments, like stupid Pinside drama threads, individual table reviews in great detail, location reports(since he's always on the road). A

Thank you S1500 for bringing this podcast up cuz I am LOVING it! Gonna subscribe now that I have listened to a couple.

Now it is up

http://www.nowyourep...1-games-101-76/

(warning: square rpgs made the list)

It must be annoying when you take the time to produce something like this and then have to deal with the whiny crybabies who get their underoos in a bunch because they don’t agree with you. As if the simple fact that they happened to own such-and-such game when they were 8 years old means that any list leaving that game out is a travesty of retro gaming journalism.

Anyway, I promise you won’t get that from me. :D

Thank you, it was a lot of work but we love doing the show.

I can divorce myself from the results of the list. Listeners sent us surveys, and we are reading the results. Our own biases were only used to break ties.

What we can control is the conversation about the games, and it is totally in bounds for people to give us crap for talking about Final Fantasy for ten minutes while only giving a couple of minutes to pitfall ii.

There are obviously more FF games to come on the list, but I think our mix of guests on the show represent the fact that indeed not everyone is a fan of these games, and as the countdown proceeds, it becomes a bit of a running joke about how overboard people go for that series.

Hey guys,

It is Kevin from the Back in my Play Podcast that was mentioned earlier. Would love your feedback on the podcast. Looks like I am going to also do an episode with the 8-4 guys when I am in Japan in a few weeks too.

http://backinmyplay.com

Just started listening to this up to episode 3 I really like it so far so I give it an A

http://www.nowyoureplayingwith.com/now-youre-playing-with-podcast-episode-22-wonderful-101-part-2-games-75-51/

Part 2 of our Wonderful 101 countdown, excessive Final Fantasy talk is joined by excessive Resident Evil and Silent Hill talk.

We've lost 2 Facebook likes since the last episode, so I guess our list pissed everybody off after all

• Like 3

http://www.nowyourep...-2-games-75-51/

Part 2 of our Wonderful 101 countdown, excessive Final Fantasy talk is joined by excessive Resident Evil and Silent Hill talk.

We've lost 2 Facebook likes since the last episode, so I guess our list pissed everybody off after all

I will listen for the Resident Evil / Silent Hill talk, just off hand would you be able to tell me at what point does the FINAL FANTASY talk end? I could start after that point lol.

• Like 3

sadly, a FF game made every portion of the countdown. they cannot be escaped.

It's understandable. Listening right now. If more than 3 people are talking at the same time, assign someone with a cricket bat to re-assign orderly discussion.

• Like 2

Another great episode Chris, thank you! What's the significance of "Wonderful" 101? My first thought was that it is/was a radio station.

I'm not sure why I don't mind the Final Fantasy talk, despite the fact that most every classic gaming podcast talks about it in one form or another. I do understand that it can get on people's nerves. I have no idea if it is the best selling or most influential game series of all time, it may be that's why it's constantly discussed, kind of like the Beatles are to music. I've actually only played partway through 2 of the games, and none that came out after 1992, so maybe that's why I don't mind it.

PS for Chris: Do you mind if I steal this idea for 2600 games? I just realized that next week is my 25th episode, that would tie in nicely. I will give you guys full credit of course.

Edited by ferghead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wonderful_101

The Wonderful 101 is an upcoming (?) game from Nintendo. It was Tatton's idea to borrow the name for our countdown. I'm tepid on it, but I do prefer having our list have a different title than everyone else's.

RE: FInal Fantasy: your Beatles analogy is spot on. I like the games, more than one FF game sucked me into that gaming vortex where you play countless hours overnight and call off work the next morning only to play some more rather than sleep.

On the whole however, I am not a fiction guy. Storylines, characters, art, etc in video games to me are like bread on a sandwich. Great bread enhances a great sandwich, but without great meat, cheese, and other toppings, great bread will not save your sandwich from being shitty. And the best FInal Fantasy games have great meat.. the strategy, exploration, and immersiveness shine in my favorite FF games.

However, too many fanboys and fangirls like to pick at the bread, and there is a lot of dough one can plow through and that is why FF discussions can go on for ages, and bore the hell out of anyone not looking to fill their gaming diet full of empty carbs.

Now I'm hungry, time for lunch.

• Like 1

Hey there, guys.

I have a question for you. Landon and I have been discussing the format of The Retro Junkies, and we're a bit torn. On one hand, we love talking in depth about classic video games, and we were thinking about recording short, biweekly episodes based on a single game. On the other hand, we've toyed around with the idea of focusing on a variety of retro topics because our website includes content and discussion from classic toys and TV shows to classic films and comics. We would still stick with a major topic for each episode--say, the original Star Wars film for one episode, the He-Man cartoon series for the next followed by an Atari 7800 episode.

Landon and I couldn't do an additional podcast, and we don't want our shows to be too long, so featuring games and other retro topics in a single episode wouldn't work. I'm just torn with the idea. I guess I lean towards sticking with video games since I like discussing them in detail, but as listeners (hopefully you guys still listen to our show!) what do you guys think?

Edited by Rob2586

@ferg, steal the top 2600 games? We stole our idea from VH1, IGN, EGM, G4 and everyone else that has ever done a top x list. Our spin was to let listeners straight up pick the games and trusted their judgement. We put our faith into the wisdom of crowds, and I think it works. But I have no problem with you putting out a top 2600 game survey. We all have our theories to what would be picked, but there are bound to be some surprises.

@rob, Do what interests you. If either of you are passionate about a subject (positive or negative passion), then the conversations tend to be interesting to listen to. We've done podcasts on Pro Wrestling and Baseball... not exactly a subject people on this thread care much about. But if you keep the conversation interesting and have insights beyond "remember x, that was awesome", your shows will be better for it.

• Like 3

Thoughts on NYPWP:

@36:55- how can there be a 4-plyr PS1 Diablo when there are only 3 character classes to start?

amusing:

-how the guests must be reined in not to talk about the current game's sequels/additional games in its series

-solid silence from guests for anything pre-NES, 5 full seconds before anyone guesses at the near-iconic Warlords SFX

-skipped the last 12 min due to FF talk.

-Can you give Becky a 3-minute talking limit on RPGs?

2 of my picks appeared so far- Adventure & Silent Hill. I thought Silent Hill would rank way higher.

It's granted any favorite games list will have FF & other RPGs. They've yet to get into the thick of them. I bet the last part will be crawling with 'em.

• Like 1

So far from what I've heard, a podcast ep focusing on 1 or 2 games have been successful. It stays focused without going all over the place, and it's not talking about the KickYoubeStarters. Please, no KickyoubeStarter talk. :)

It doesn't need to be the only format, but it's a format that works, and you don't burn yourself out researching something larger. You can spend an hour or 2 playing a Star Wars game and talk about it in depth for an ep, or you can spend months trying to chronicle every Star Wars game, and it gets diluted down to 30 seconds talk per SW game.

• Like 1

@Chris and S1500: Thanks for the pointers, guys. I definitely agree with you both.

Maybe Landon and I could record the Super Show once a month where we discuss a classic game we love. And for the second episode of the month, we could discuss a retro topic aside from video games. I definitely want the second episode to have a different name so it will be easier to differentiate between the two. We were planning on recording bi-weekly after the 10th episode anyway, so that just might work.

The show would probably be under the same RSS feed, which that might aggrevate some listeners, but at least they can skip over the nongaming-related episodes if they want.

All I know is that It would be a blast to talk about Ninja Golf for the 7800 on one show and talk about the Ghostbusters film the next!

On a side note, I'm currently downloading episode 21 of Now You're Playing with Podcast. Looking forward to giving it a listen at work!

Thanks again.

Edited by Rob2586