IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Hey guys!

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that we're still alive. lol We've had to take a little time off for family reasons, but Landon's on board for the illusive 9th episode of The Retro Junkies by the end of the month. Also, I'm hoping to do an interview this weekend with Derek Slaton who has written a 4-volume Sega Master System encyclopedia. I think I'm going to count it as a special instead of a regular episode, but it should be up on iTunes and Podomatic around this time next week. And lastly, my friend Nick and I are starting a weekly side-podcast dedicated to the Sega Genesis library in the next two weeks. It's called Genesis Gems Podcast. Our goal is to keep it short, focused, and fun, so if you guys ever want to check it out, we'd be honored.

Take it easy, guys. Hope all is well!

Looking forward to your new podcasts. Also looking forward to your interview with Derek Slaton I have most his books in print and PDF and there great. But his last 3 on the Sega Master System I can only see for I Pad so I hope they also become available in print and PDF for Windows.

So please let us know when there available for download I don't use I tunes :)

• Like 1

Just got a reply from Derek and I only emailed him just before I posted so that was quick. New print and PDF versions of his books will be available. I highly recommend them if your at all into the Sega Master System.

So as I said look forward to the Interview with him.

• Like 1

Again ferg I see nothing but:

New Retronauts episode

Nothing else.

That's weird, whenever I put a link with mp3 in it, the site automatically puts a player in its place, which of course I see fine. How can I post an mp3 link and bypass the player?

I dont see it on my ipod touch or ipad.

Chrisbid: thx for the link. Why didnt i think of the website? No iTunes feed for them yet. Anyone listen or are we boycotting them?

I thought it was a really good episode. The vibe seems to have changed from "We're fucking off at work" to "Wow, people gave us money, so we should be serious about this for once." Jeremy Parrish, Ray Barnholt & Bob Mackey are the regular hosts, and if I remember right, they will have a guest every week or every so often. This week it was the Chrontendo guy.

Cheers to Retro Game Squad on their FPS-themed podcast & liking the excellent Powerslave. They said the Saturn version is the best, I only ever played the PS version, & if that one's that good, I can only imagine how good the Saturn one is.

The Saturn one has a smoother framerate overall. The lighting may even be better. I remember there being bigger differences, but I haven't played it since 2000 or so.

& slamming PS Dark Forces. The main host claims DF does nothing original, but then says you ride in [sewage] in a level. Well, isn't THAT original? Did any other DOOM clones do that back then? & to that point, DOOM was hot at that time, of course companies jumped on that bandwagon. DF is a Doom clone in a Star Wars costume, & never claimed to be anything more.

I remember Dark Forces getting pretty great reviews from friends I knew back in the day, and it seemed to do really well on the PlayStation. And lack of originality? Wasn't Star Wars from a ground-based first person perspective pretty original for the time? I wonder how old these guys are.

Also, their last hour was spent/wasted on the latest next-gen hoopla gobbledygook. I didnt bother listening- any 'cast with "retro" in the title has no business reporting on such crap IMO.

Yeah, I wanted to say, my latest episode is finally up. Although Kris kind of forces us to talk about the next-gen systems for 70% of the episode. So, you all have been warned in advance!

• Like 1

Yes in Dark Forces that sewage lvl is early in the game, like 2 or 3. You Infiltrate a facility to find a bad guy & negotiate a sewage-filled maze w/ doors, switches, etc. & looking back it was a good tricky lvl, if you did it wrong the sewage flow took you all the way back to the start. I dont know why that host hated it so much, it was a good gameplay mechanic that I dont recall any other game doing back then, definitely original.

Re: new Retronauts- I liked it, though i had to listen in pieces out of order as I was super tired last night & kept dozing off (not from the show). I think I got it all. I like when they go back to discuss a certain year & the show was no exception.

Yeah, I wanted to say, my latest episode is finally up. Although Kris kind of forces us to talk about the next-gen systems for 70% of the episode. So, you all have been warned in advance!

Well at least you warned us! Going on podcast name alone, "IMPLANTgames" doesnt imply retro. You're safe THIS time. ;)

• Like 1

Looking forward to your new podcasts. Also looking forward to your interview with Derek Slaton I have most his books in print and PDF and there great. But his last 3 on the Sega Master System I can only see for I Pad so I hope they also become available in print and PDF for Windows.

Thanks, Harmik! I'll make an announcement as soon as it's up. And as far as the PDF and print versions go, I think he's working on them right now. I wouldn't mind having one of the print editions myself!

Edited by Rob2586

I don't mind occasional current gen talk in a retro podcast, that's the only way that I know what the hell is going on now.

True, but for the purposes of a retro podcast, & being a retro gamer, why should you? Anyway, the state of current- & next-gen gaming ain't pretty, & nothing I'm interested in or care to know about.

True, but for the purposes of a retro podcast, & being a retro gamer, why should you? Anyway, the state of current- & next-gen gaming ain't pretty, & nothing I'm interested in or care to know about.

Don't you want to point and laugh at people who have loading times and have to be connected to the internets just to play a game? :)
  • Like 2

Hey Harmik! Our Sega Master System episode is up on Podomatic at http://retro-junkies.podomatic.com/.

Take it easy!

• Like 1

Yes, a pleasurable plethora of podcasts for my 1st night back to work after a week staycation.

...aaaand Shane finally craps out his April episode. :ponder:

heh. I'm updating right now and it's 4 new episodes in the pen. Didn't think there would be so much summer activity. But I welcome it since it's great listening during yard work.

• Like 2

Yep i listen while mowing the lawn, & to/from/at work. Also Sometimes on my nights off- when my wife's watching "her" shows I have only 1 earbud in so I can hear her complain my volume's too loud. :)

• Like 1