IGNORED

2 worthy video game podcasts

S1500

Meeno Peluce is Punky Brewster's real-life brother!

Also, from some things alluded to on their latest ep, I think Arcade Outsiders may be watching us.

Is the whole cast there? You said one bailed from the crew after some spat.

They should watch us. This is the go-to thread for all things retro video game podcasting, where we do not sugar coat things.

UkMike: And at number 4 is Q-Bert.

Scott: Okay, about Q-Bert.. Gotta story, there was this guy at the hangar. He had a Piper Cub...

(stock footage of an animal decomposing)

(stock footage of the sun rising & setting)

- 3 HOURS LATER -

Scott: and that's why I think Q-Bert should be at number 7.

:)

You forgot to mention that Scott was only three years old when he was checking out that Piper Cub. If he was that precocious then, imagine how intelligent he must be now!

Listening to him make the same stupid point about "realistic" box art versus video game graphics was pure torture. That whole segment was terrible, almost like Top 10 Favorite Colors. Before I started listening to the podcast, I was convinced that it had jumped the shark, but the first two segments were pretty good (based mostly on how interesting the CoCo author was). Then it was like standing behind dilettante art critics at the museum--for an hour.

@S1500- yeah, actually Phet/Shawn has been back since then. He hung up in a huff 'cuz the other guys tease him, they think it's HIS podcast setup causing the shows audio problems, & he's very adamant it isnt him, so he'd had enough. He gets tired/bored & prefers to sign off early as he has Daddy Duty the next morning. I know how it is. 9pm lights out isnt unheard of at my house.

Edited by RJ

Did a sneak-listen to the 2 recent AllGen Gamers just to make sure nothing's changed.

Yep, talkin' YouTube.

Yep, talkin' modern games.

Yep, talkin' PAX East.

Yep, talkin' Oculus Rift.

Yep, nothing's changed.

• Like 2

But did they tell you how many days until Grinker's?

I think I had more than my fill of Sonic game coverage this weekend.

The coincidental game of the weekend* I believe is Tax Avoiders.

* Coincidental game: A game 2 podcasts talk about without any knowledge of the other.

• Like 2

I watched it for 5 minutes and turned it off. Bleah. I'm pretty sure I watched this show, but it doesn't hold up for me. Voyagers! does though, love me some Meeno Peluce!

I watched a crapload of TV when I was a kid, yet I have no recollection of Voyagers!, Wizards & Warriors, nor Cover Up(which also had Hexum in it). Cover Up has got to be the most 80s plot I have ever heard(secret agent models or something). Thankfuly YouTube has full episodes of some of these shows.

Yet I remember AutoMan. That show was cool as a kid. And Whiz Kids, why did they ever cancel that dang show? I recalled calling WCCO(our CBS affiliate) and only getting ahold of a security guard who didn't seem to care about my tv predicament.

• Like 1

Hey yeah thats Michael Current, he was SPACE club prez for the time I was a member. Sadly that club was less than it couldve been. We were well out of Atari's heyday in the mid- to late 90s, I mainly recall meetings consisting of reviewing the club bylaws (YAWN) & passing around a signup sheet for the next food party (one guy always brought "ICE COLD POP").

I truly dont ever remember even playing a game there. Someone set up a demo of a graphics program once. Looking back we couldve had game tournaments/high score contests, game & program swapping, hardware swapping, etc. all kinds of stuff. But we mostly sat around. There were 8-bit "disks of the month" that were OK. There was one auction I got a 2nd 1050 disk drive & a Touch Tablet. SPACE met once a month on a Friday night, & eventually my wife said "it's them or me." I felt the club was going nowhere & a waste of time so I stopped going.

Anyway, when I attended the 1st ever JagFest down in Rochester (which became MGC) he was there & I whipped him in a friendly game of 7800 BallBlazer- but if you ask him, he blames the joystick :)

Edited by RJ

Digging around at www.space.atari.org most of the newsletters in the archive (seems the older issues are just pics of the covers) they write a lot about food parties. Some of the mid-late 90s ones are printed out.

"Carl Jones' wife Pamela's chocolate chip sticky bars were excellent!"

I also recall an older guy there w/ a cane that looked at me a lot. :ponder:

Edited by RJ

Digging around at www.space.atari.org most of the newsletters in the archive (seems the older issues are just pics of the covers) they write a lot about food parties. Some of the mid-late 90s ones are printed out.

I remember reading the SPACE newsletters when they were past their prime(I was bored at work), and it was surreal to see something like that still active. Then again I went to TI-99/4A user group meetings when it was REALLY past its prime(Atari 8-bit scene lasted a bit longer).

Great SNL skit idea: A (long since dead) computer user group meeting of some guy reading announcements to mostly empty chairs.

"No, this is not the AA meeting. That room is 3 doors down thank you".

Here's a coincidence- cleaning out the front closet for our big PITA move, I decided to get rid of my "time capsule" (box w/ 15-yr-old things in it) & I'd kept the 12/99 SPACE newsletter. It discussed recent bylaws changes we made & voted on, Atari's "resurgence" due to classics starting to show up on PlayStation, & the upcoming Xmas potluck party.

"I am hoping the Fitzpatricks show up with a big delicious cake!"

(no, it wasnt me that said that, IIRC I only ever went to exactly ONE of these potlucks)

Edited by RJ

Idea I had: an "obscure-off" friendly challenge between 2 people. A topic is brought up, for example, a game console, toy line, movie, and the contenders(2 total) will each name drop 1. The most obscure referenced wins, judged by a referee. Ref will do a quick google search to see for fewest hits, most/least youtube rips, and so forth.

So for example. The topic: TV shows.

Contesant 1: Small Wonder

Contestant 2: Hello Larry

Hello Larry was a spinoff series of Diffrent Strokes, and lasted a very short time. Point would go to contestant 2.

Wonder if Dubstep Dad would be up to this.

I have way too much free time on my hands.

Question: what sort of frequency do you guys generally prefer for podcasts you subscribe to? Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly? (I'm doubting the later, haha).

Typically monthly. Exceptions to that are weekly for No Quarter & Atari 2600 game by game. They are focused on 1-2 games so a weekly format is optimal without being at a loss for content.

Hello Larry!? Geez, been a while since I heard THAT mentioned. Thanks S... now that damn theme song is stuck in my head...

I haven't had that problem since before getting married.

Can you spare any?

• Like 1

Idea I had: an "obscure-off" friendly challenge between 2 people. A topic is brought up, for example, a game console, toy line, movie, and the contenders(2 total) will each name drop 1. The most obscure referenced wins, judged by a referee. Ref will do a quick google search to see for fewest hits, most/least youtube rips, and so forth.

So for example. The topic: TV shows.

Contesant 1: Small Wonder

Hello Larry was a spinoff series of Diffrent Strokes, and lasted a very short time. Point would go to contestant 2.

Wonder if Dubstep Dad would be up to this.

Do you mean on a podcast or maybe on a forum? I would be up for something like this.

Question: what sort of frequency do you guys generally prefer for podcasts you subscribe to? Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly? (I'm doubting the later, haha).

Weekly since I eat them up at work since my job is noisy & boring.

• Like 2

Me too, except for the boring part. All the monthly podcasts I listen to come out at the same time and they are each 12 hours long NOT THAT I AM COMPLAINING ;)

Typically I update my iTunes on weekends, and you can see the media circus of new podcast episodes marching down the USB cable into my iPod. I still think the record was 1.5 days of podcasts downloaded in one shot. And yes, about 30% of that was a RGR episode.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. My co-host has been hinting that he wants to do our show weekly. This is probably because, coincidentally, he began listening to podcasts regularly at work and he prefers them weekly (I wouldn't know the feeling, I still don't listen to podcasts really, hehe). I don't know if it will be doable between both of our schedules, but at least I know that some people prefer them at that rate in case we do end up managing it.