IGNORED

Ultimate1MB preorder starts

candle

Chear or Pro?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PCB be PRO?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

very preliminary, but at least i'm doing it ;)

http://spiflash.org/block/19.html

todo: installation guide, and programming reference

I just noticed from the pictures that the backup battery must have been relocated to the underside of the board in the redesign, this would mean the upgrade will need to be dismounted to change the battery! I realize changing the battery isn't required very often, but it will be inconvenient to have to dismount the board to do this.

This is a minor issue, but is something to consider for the future.

Bill

I just noticed from the pictures that the backup battery must have been relocated to the underside of the board in the redesign, this would mean the upgrade will need to be dismounted to change the battery! I realize changing the battery isn't required very often, but it will be inconvenient to have to dismount the board to do this.

Bill

plus overall height is more than expected, but it was the only solution i saw back then

if i'll be doing another rev of the pcb, that will change for sure

board is mounted on 2 screws, so its not that inconvinient, and considering that will need replacement after a year or two (or more?) its really not an issue

for compare, we can have ide plus 2.0 which has battery soldered in - replace that

Bill

plus overall height is more than expected, but it was the only solution i saw back then

if i'll be doing another rev of the pcb, that will change for sure

board is mounted on 2 screws, so its not that inconvinient, and considering that will need replacement after a year or two (or more?) its really not an issue

for compare, we can have ide plus 2.0 which has battery soldered in - replace that

Yes, I noticed that on my IDE + 2.0. just before I made the post you responded to. Basicly the same mistake ICD made with the early R-Time-8 cartridges, although in this case I think they did it because of clearance issues with the HDD. Mounting a battery holder on the underside of the board, where it would be accessible, would have been a lot better. I guess they expect us to leave it powered up all the time so the battery won't die.

I did notice that one terminal of the battery, probably ground, is through-hole. It should be possible to mount(glue) a battery holder on the underside with a wire to the + connection when the battery dies.

I'm afraid that every one of You will have to cut 2 traces on Atari motherboard - namely RD4 and RD5 signals - and put resistors in series in between - some of cartridges, have this lines connected directly to 5V supply, which result in very short Ultimate1MB CPLD chip life (minutes).

I don't have any way of putting these resistor on Ultimate1MB board, as traces are pretty dense in that area, so i'm very sory, but every of you will have to do by himself.

After such modification, you can always return to stock configuration by pulling out ultimate board and putting back MMU and OS ROM chips, but this is essential to Ultimate1MB reliability

I could not anticipate, that CPLD chip advertised as 5V tollerant, capable of withstanding 5.5V (7V with overshoot) on each pin according to the datasheet will be destroyed by something that trival - lesson that costed me several chips to learn

shipment still starts tomorrow (monday that is)

It's too bad that you didn't read the thread lotharek started in August about an SRAM upgrade project, he mentions in post# 35 and 36 about needing to install a resistor for EXTSELECT on Freddie systems to keep from damaging the XILINK chip he used.

While you already had the circuit boards, it would probably have saved you some time trouble shooting the problem, as well as some XILINK ICs.

http://www.atariage....ost__p__2354607

Link fixed

Edited by BillC

Perhaps this is already discussed.... sorry for a possible repost:

But is the RTC also accessible without SDX? Is there a time/date set and read tool that I can use with SpartDos 3.3a?

I don't need a real time RTC, it's ok for me to read out time/date in startup.bat ... that is what I'm doing now too with my I2C Clock.

Thanks

M.

• Like 1

Perhaps this is already discussed.... sorry for a possible repost:

But is the RTC also accessible without SDX? Is there a time/date set and read tool that I can use with SpartDos 3.3a?

I don't need a real time RTC, it's ok for me to read out time/date in startup.bat ... that is what I'm doing now too with my I2C Clock.

Thanks

M.

There is a link near the bottom of the web-page mentioned in post# 428 where you can download sample asm code for accessing the RTC. I haven't looked at it, but it may be what you want.

Looks top mounted to me.

Top side has sockets for ribbon cables, bottom side would have pins that go into OS Rom socket.

You are probably looking at the picture of the earlier version before he redesigned it, he also eliminated the need to re-use the MMU. In the latest pictures there is no battery holder or MMU socket on the upper surface

This upgrade doesn't plug directly into the OS socket, both OS and MMU socket connections are via ribbon cable which is why he is using standoffs to mount the circuit board

i've updated preorder list just to keep track of things and let people see if there is something i'm waiting for from then (ie missing shipping address)

tendency is i'm doing mainstream units - that would be 800XL and XE line, but cables were made for 1200XL and XEGS, plus i've bought some bigger envelopes to accomodate "plus size" shipments

is someone has '8"' or "tbd" in machine type field, then it most likely will be served last, but if something changed, or someone from that list changed his mind - just let me know - i would rather prepare a proper cable than leave someone with 8" spaghetti

watching numen, xram test and several other productions with every board i test is not fun :(

• Like 1

There is no such tool so far.

Marius: please ask Trub or Draco030 if ultimate.sys will work on ealier SpartaDOS - i have no knoledge on that

There is backward compatibility, so programs for SpartaDOS v.3 will mostly work on v.4. But there is no upward compatibility, so programs for SpartaDOS v.4 mostly will not work on v.3. The driver would have to be ported.

i've updated preorder list just to keep track of things and let people see if there is something i'm waiting for from then (ie missing shipping address)

tendency is i'm doing mainstream units - that would be 800XL and XE line, but cables were made for 1200XL and XEGS, plus i've bought some bigger envelopes to accomodate "plus size" shipments

I did send you my shipping address monday. I resent it now (PM and through your website). I hope you will receive it now :D

Please do not shoot If this is already explained: are the boards for all the versions of Atari the same? Or are there differences in Ultimate PCB's too?

I'm ok with my pre order (3x XE, 2x 800XL) but I might change my mind in the future. I understand cable length is different in different Atari models. But I guess that's the only difference?

watching numen, xram test and several other productions with every board i test is not fun

You will never watch numen again I guess after this is done :D

Greetz

M.

There is backward compatibility, so programs for SpartaDOS v.3 will mostly work on v.4. But there is no upward compatibility, so programs for SpartaDOS v.4 mostly will not work on v.3. The driver would have to be ported.

Ah that is fine. When I received and installed my Ultimate 1MB I will take a look at that. I already organized (with help from Bob1200XL!) a time 'downloader' from my I2C clock. And a time/date setting tool too :D ... So when I know how the RTC of this Ultimate1MB board works, It will be not too much trouble to rewrite my existing time tool(s).

Greetz

M>

• Like 1

Ah that is fine. When I received and installed my Ultimate 1MB I will take a look at that. I already organized (with help from Bob1200XL!) a time 'downloader' from my I2C clock. And a time/date setting tool too :D ... So when I know how the RTC of this Ultimate1MB board works, It will be not too much trouble to rewrite my existing time tool(s).

Greetz

M>

clip

Edited by BillC

Frank: exacly

Robert: my bad - corrected that and i do remember the conversation

Spurge: it will work, however build units are sold, so you'll have to wait for another preorder thread to place an order (i'm building them in larger quantities to keep costs down)

Marius: i have certainly your shipping addres - now i have it repeated 3 times :D sorry for this. as for rtc inside ultimate board, it uses ds1305 chip - same as side cartridge, and there are examples how to access this clock on my web page http://spiflash.org/block/20.html