IGNORED

Ultimate1MB preorder starts

candle

Chear or Pro?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should the PCB be PRO?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I could not anticipate, that CPLD chip advertised as 5V tollerant, capable of withstanding 5.5V (7V with overshoot) on each pin according to the datasheet will be destroyed by something that trival - lesson that costed me several chips to learn

What are the pins on the CPLD that aren't 5v tolerant?

i've updated preorder list just to keep track of things and let people see if there is something i'm waiting for from then (ie missing shipping address)

tendency is i'm doing mainstream units - that would be 800XL and XE line, but cables were made for 1200XL and XEGS, plus i've bought some bigger envelopes to accomodate "plus size" shipments

I don't see my name on the list, at all. I have paid for 2 units, both for 130XE. Please let me know if you need my address.

It would seem my 800XL doesn't have the vias as illustrated in the guide at http://spiflash.org/block/21.htm

con-800xls.jpg

Mine aren't hollow and they don't seem to be present at the points needed for the connections on the left (RW + Reset).

Another thing is that soldering around there can potentially make contact with the PBI clip that holds things in place. Taking the clip off isn't really an option if you've got anything plugged in because it then becomes too insecure.

I've not started anything yet but am thinking I might need to solder to the edge connector itself, then make another hole in the motherboard to run the wires back up top.

Edited by Rybags

Gary, could you post a picture of your board?

i belive i have every 800xl that was produced (including secam rose) and this part of the board is routed in the same way each and every time

soldering directly to the pbi port is quite stupid idea, as it will surely lead to reliability problems with devices connected

by pbi clip you mean that piece of metal that provides additional fraction to the shell of pbi connector?

if you really want to change these locations, you need to look up on schematics, or sloopy's aid (pdf with every atari chip drawn with signals for each pin) or use another source to locate nessesary lines

bottom line - DO NOT solder directly to PBI

I did the power mod that way - actually there's no other choice.

Yes, it's not really a preferred option - every chance the nearby trace could lift, plus if you go too far the other way it would interfere with plugged in devices.

Also, I believe there's different types of PBI clips - my 800XL they're seperate pieces but on my 600XL I'm fairly sure they're integrated into the shielding.

Here's a cut from an old pic when I first installed VBXE - it's not an optimal view but probably better than I could get right now without pulling the machine apart.

post-7804-0-10121300-1322384736_thumb.jpg

ed - looking at those pics, it seems the vias are in fact present. With the machine not taken apart it made them hard to see.

Edited by Rybags

they are there allright, just plugged with solder - so you're safe and sound, and can proceed as shown in guide

i think that its connected to the main shielding by rivets in 600xl, and is separate piece in 800xl

there are some chances that if you do this cleanly enough, there won't be any mechanical clearance issues

Candle, I PMed you yesterday with my machine info (actually, the machine info of the person I'm selling my Ultimate1mb to) ... can you confirm you received that? I know you're busy. 130XE.

Edited by Mirage

Hey DocRotCod, please check your PM's about the Ultimate1mb, thanks. (sorry to everyone else, he didn't have his PM notifications turned on before and it's regarding his U1mb).

Candle, got your message, thanks much, you're a gentleman. Going to arrange it with DocRotCod.

Edited by Mirage

spiflash.org as usual?

but i've done detailed instructions for 800xl at the moment

i still need more time to do the rest, but real life, and to be more exact my day job is getting in the way

small update in status of shipments is here

those people who haven't received tracking numbers will get them tomorrow (that is when i wake up - its 3am here)

spiflash.org as usual?

but i've done detailed instructions for 800xl at the moment

i still need more time to do the rest, but real life, and to be more exact my day job is getting in the way

small update in status of shipments is here

those people who haven't received tracking numbers will get them tomorrow (that is when i wake up - its 3am here)

Sweet! I hope to have it before a road trip :)

Yesterday I got mine!!! Thanks candle.... I know I was a bit impatient, but I'm extremely happy with your shipment. You did a great and wonderful job on this!

one more thing... Is there any clue I can see from the outside, or at the package which 'packet' is for XL and which is for XE? I did not see any markers about that.

Thanks again!

Greetz

M.