pokemon gold .99

and a coleco expansion (wheel and peddle) .49

*Today*

found stellar track sears for 1.00

Today (Friday)

Picked up a nes with all hookups and 5 games for 7.00

from same sale got a very nice locker for free

Edited by Dusk2600

I found 9 canadian INTV games in the box,all complete,with instructions and all overlays,at value village,what i mean by Canadian,is ,that the front of box opens up like a book,with a nice slot to put instructions and overlays in,man,the boxes were ALL mint,whoever owned these games really took pride in his/her possesions!!!!!!!!!!!

1..2- nba basketball

2..major league baseball

3..astrosmash

4. .poker and blackjack

5. .armor battle

6..nfl football

7..pga golf

8..checkers

Edited by Rik

I found a boxed, sealed Archer "pro" Atari-compatible joystick at my local Value Village for $4 CDN yesterday, but that's it. If you're looking for good stuff, don't come to Calgary...all of the Salvation Army stores have a standing order NOT to accept any computer equipment that's "lower" than a 486. :(

Wont accept anything lower than 486,that sucks,alot of cool older dos games run on 286-386's,I have a mint 386dx that i bought new around 90-91,never changed battery,and time and date is still spot on,since the first time i set it back in 91!!!!!!,best pc I have!!!!!!!

I found a boxed, sealed Archer "pro" Atari-compatible joystick at my local Value Village for $4 CDN yesterday, but that's it. If you're looking for good stuff, don't come to Calgary...all of the Salvation Army stores have a standing order NOT to accept any computer equipment that's "lower" than a 486. :(

Wont accept anything lower than 486,that sucks,alot of cool older dos games run on 286-386's,I have a mint 386dx that i bought new around 90-91,never changed battery,and time and date is still spot on,since the first time i set it back in 91!!!!!!,best pc I have!!!!!!!

It doesn't surprise me. Given the cost to properly dispose of a computer they have to make sure they get stuff people will actually buy. My Salvation Army just stopped taking CRT monitors and TV's for this exact reason. People didn't want to pay disposal fees so they'd drop off semi-working 20 year old TV's to the Salvation Army, who then ended up having to throw them away.

Thinkpad 760XD laptop

P166, 32MB RAM, 3GB HD, CD-ROM, modem, Win95

no USB or network connections (yet) :), battery won't hold charge

Free from a booth at the flea market mall where I help out. It was in a pile of junked laptops, and this one has some peeling of the rubberized cover. Other than that it works great.

It doesn't surprise me. Given the cost to properly dispose of a computer they have to make sure they get stuff people will actually buy. My Salvation Army just stopped taking CRT monitors and TV's for this exact reason. People didn't want to pay disposal fees so they'd drop off semi-working 20 year old TV's to the Salvation Army, who then ended up having to throw them away.

Yeah,thats true also,especially old crt monitors,who the hell would want those!BUT,as you may already know,since you work at a SALVATION ARMY, ,some people are into collecting old things,antiques,i've seen people buying pretty out dated useless stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!,like old dial up 8-16k,or whatever their specs are,(the veery old ones )outboard modems,the guy said he collects old modems,hey whatever makes you happy!Useless things seem to sell great at the vallue village i go to.

Edited by Rik

Very nice find at my local Sally Army today.

TG16, Turbo Booster, leads, 2 Joypads and 19 Games for CAD$10.99!

The games are -

Bloody Wolf

Bonk's Adventure x2

Bonk's Revenge

China Warrior x2

Dead Moon

Hit the Ice

Keith Courage

Power Golf x2

Space Harrier x2

Tale Spin

Time Ball

TV Sports Football

Vigilante

World Class Baseball

World Court Tennis

post-4591-1153774234_thumb.jpg

Man, you got a fantastic deal on that TurboGrafx stuff! That's an incredibly lucky find! Turbo games and consoles don't turn up in the wild too much anymore. Congrats!

Thanks Steve! The full story is posted over on Retroputing. ;)

a working adventurevision with super cobra. five bucks.

hate me? well wait till you read the next line...

being a curious ten-year-old (this was 15 years ago), i took it apart to watch the mirror spin and examine it closely. i couldn't get the damn thing back together and ended up breaking it.

had i known they would sell for $1000 and were limited in quanitity, i would have left it alone until i was old enough to appreciate how awesome that baby was.

:(

Okay - here's the weirdest thing ever. Here in Chicago, there are only a few arcades left. The one closest to my house is called "Dennis' Place for Games" - one of two such places. Very sketchy, so I always went to a further arcade. When that one closed, I got up enough nerve to finally visit Dennis', but then they closed a few weeks back.

I noticed that the the sign was still up, and I thought it would be pretty funny if I went in and asked them for it. There was never anyone in the building, so I put it out of my head since after all - what in the hell am I going to do with an 8 foot tall sign?

Today I drove by as some guys were taking the sign down. I also noticed that one of the guys had just come from the liquor store with some beers. I pulled over and offered to buy them some more if they would drive the discarded sign to my house a few blocks away. it worked. I'm now the owner of two of these insane signs.

YOu can't tell from the photo, but they're gigantic. For the price of a few beers, I figured I'd take them and figure out what to do with them later. I guess it's a piece of local arcade history since they'd been around since the 70's. Oh, and by the looks of the sign maybe you can figure out why I never went in there...

post-152-1153804468_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I can see why you'd be a little uncomfortable going to an arcade with that sign. That guy has a look on his face like "Hey kids, get into my van! I've got candy and video games!"

If I were going to have my own arcade, I wouldn't put my face on the sign. I'd put my face on the tokens, in a tasteful pose of me in a toga with a wreath around my head like a Roman emperor. :)

Edited by SteveW

There's a certain feeling of sadness when you shop in some thrift stores. It's a strange sensation that you can't quite put into words, you just feel it in your gut. Maybe it's the old fixtures and stuff left over from whatever defunct store used to inhabit that location, maybe it's because a lot of thrifts have bad lighting that makes the place feel dreary, maybe it's the people who are shopping there. Whatever it is, I felt it today, more than i've ever felt it before. I went on a hardcore thrift hunt, and I stopped at this little store in a really grungy neighborhood. The place was going out of business, so everything in the store, no matter what, was 88¢ each. It was the kind of place that not only has thrift stuff, but five and dime store and closeout store type stuff. The whole store looked grey. Dim lighting, loads of empty shelves, and a feeling of impending doom. The people working there looked like someone on death row. It was a truly creepy experience, made doubly creepy by the location it was in, among countless closed down fast food restaurants re-opened as some generic cafe and a dead shopping mall a few miles down the road.

Anyway, to try to be more upbeat, I did find some quasi-interesting things at that thrift. I bought a Tiger R-Zone game-Batman & Robin, a couple Game.Com cartridges-Batman & Robin (again!) and Jurassic Park, an RF switch for a Sega Saturn, an Interact Eclipse Gamepad for the Saturn, some PenCap Stylus thingies (turns any disposible pen into a PDA stylus), two Performance Mega Memory Cards for the Sega Dreamcast, and two Bocce Lawn Ball sets (for my sister's kids). Everything was new, and 88¢ each.

The only other thing I picked up of interest was a Famiclone that's shaped like a Dreamcast. I came across several Atari 2600 and Intellivision carts, and even an Atari 800 Star Raiders cart. But they were all commons, and some were in incredibly bad shape. Some of the Intellivision carts had corrosion on the connectors like old batteries leave. Can't imagine what the previous owners did to them.

2 External floppy drives that work with the ThinkPad 760XD I got free earlier in the week for $2 each at a local thrift store.

What gets me about this particular store is that I'll occasionally see some keyboards and drives from Macs. I have yet to see a Mac for sale in there.

Picked up Alpha Mission, Wall Street Kid, and Smash TV for the NES today for $3 each. I am absolutely STUNNED at how good Smash TV is for the NES. The game really shouldn't be that good on the NES, and to top it off it was published by Acclaim...I nearly passed out when I started playing it and it was so close to the arcade.