IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

the sunday before last I was making the thrift store rounds and managed to find an older set of act labs petals for pc. It's a nice 3 pedal unit from ~1999 or so, so when I say 'older' it's still usb. The set was boxed and complete for $6.95. They also had a stack of $.99 intellivision games which I wasn't terribly interested in. (beaten but boxed) I grabbed donkey kong, since I remembered not having it, and some other title and left the rest. I don't get many thrift finds, so I count this as a victory.

act labs stock shot:

rspedalsyi9.th.jpg

I kind of want to try them out but to really put the clutch to use, I'd need a fancy gearshift, which tends to cost more than I like to spend.

Edited by Reaperman

when to a few thrifts and got:

spy vs spy for nes(cart only)$1

gopher for 2600(cart)$1

dr.seuss the cat in the hat for psx(complete and mint)$2

the black crowes shake your money maker(complete)$2

not a thrift find but still cheap ass games from target:

tourist trophy for ps2(brandnew)$4.98

king of the monsters for ps2(brand new)$4.98

final fantasy for psp(brand new)$7.98

also got a folklore strategy guide for a penny at gamestop!!

Sweet score for me at Goodwill today:

Atari 2600 Jr. (system only) for $3

Epyx 500XJ (SMS version) for $2

Nine new blank audio tapes (whoo, Atari 410 usage) for $.69 a piece

NES Max for $2

SNES/N64/GCN standard A/V cable for $2

I sorta blinked when I found out I had the Sega version of the 500XJ. Was nice to find an R6 controller.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the ColecoVision and its 2600 adapter both worked perfectly, without any graphic glitches.

On the down side, I forgot how awful RF video looked... I'm tempted to crack this bad boy open and mod it like I had my last ColecoVision.

not a thrift find, but my local ultra-expensive game shop (after having their other location close) is having a 2 for one sale on games--this makes them only about 25% more expensive than ebay. I grabbed a couple title yesterday (castlevania 3 (nes) and legend of gaia (snes) for $20), but the wife's not going to be home tonight, so this is when I'm really going to load up. :evil:

Edited by Reaperman

Had an excellent day last Saturday, though I didn't get a chance to figure out how excellent until last night.

I was browsing the first store of my thrift run when one of the workers got my attention and let me know they had just gotten some video games in. I go up to the front and find an NES and an SNES, both with all the trimmings: controllers, power supplies, TV hook-ups, and a nice selection of games. Pretty much all of the Zelda and Super Mario titles for both systems were there, along with other gems like Tetris, Mega Man 3, Super Castlevania IV and Final Fantasy II. Everything was in immaculate condition; the Zelda gold cartridges were bright and shiny with hardly any scratches, the SNES didn't have even a hint of yellowing anywhere on the console, and this is the first NES I've brought home that played every game I threw at it without a single hiccup. A few other interesting goodies, like an NES Max controller and the official Nintendo-branded NES cleaning kit. Sadly, there weren't any boxes or instruction manuals, but all the NES cartridges still had their jackets, and about half the SNES games still had their dust covers. Somebody took good care of their toys.

There was also a Sega Game Gear with one game, but it has issues. I hit the power button, the screen flickers and then promptly dies. Oh well, at least the power supply works, and it also came with the Sega-branded screen magnifier.

The thrift store took $75 plus tax for the whole kit and kaboodle.

In an unrelated, happy coincidence, last week while I was playing some '80s tunes, I thought about how it would be really cool to find a CD with the 9-minute dance mix of Soft Cell's "Tainted Love / Where Did Our Love Go" medley. Then, on Saturday, I found a 1991 CD single containing the mix, just like that.

Now if only I could score a Quadrun merely by thinking about it...

Edited by skunkworx

This is what I purchased a couple weeks ago from a local thrift store called VALUE WORLD:

Atari STORE PROMO ONLY VCS for $40.00 (actually a 2600, but doesn't have it anywhere, along with controllers and 25 games

143285707_o.jpg

143271240_o.jpg

143271227_o.jpg

143285705_o.jpg

:lust:And MY CROWNING JEWEL....a MAGNAVOX ODYSSEY RUN 1B for $25.00 :lust:

140266600_o.jpg

140266730_o.jpg

140266661_o.jpg

140266775_o.jpg

(.....of course I have them on the auction block.....) 8)

God, I feel so jaded. One of the first finds I ever had when I really started collecting games in earnest in the early 90's (I never stopped buying Atari games since they were out, and I'd bought a couple other systems for pennies, bit this is when I decided to go whole hog...) was a boxed Odyssey 1 with the rifle. Then not long after that I found another odyssey 1 in the carrying case with all the accessories.

I had no idea that these things were rare for years! I paid $2.50 for the boxed set, and about $6 for the carrying case one (it was in a plastic bag at the thrift with some infant blocks. I just re-donated the blocks as soon as I exited the store.

I've since added some of the stand-alone expansion games that came in the long boxes. I don't remember the last time that I powered it up. It'll be pretty funny to see if those overlays fit on my LCD television. ;)

Quick visit to the thrift yielded a Commodore 1702 monitor (my favorite monitor!) for $6, one of those Fisher Price movie viewer things )though this has a built in screen and can project on the wall) for $4, and an awesome silver boombox with a crazy huge dial tuner for the radio. It seriously looks like someone took the FM dial off of a home stereo and put it on this thing. $4 for that. Not much in the way of gaming, but plenty for my retro lifestyle!

Yard sale finds

Need for Speed 2 Hot Pursuit PS2 $1

Nintendo 64 for free. It doesn't have the power supply, AV cables or controllers. Tested it and it works

A plug and play Commodore 64 by Mammoth for $2. :-o

Flea Market finds

Goldeneye for Nintendo 64 $5. I know a little expensive but its a must have game for the system.

Simpsons Hit and Run for PS2 $5.

Oh and I found Jungle Hunt for the 5200 for .99 cents at Vintage stock.

It was a good day for me.

Edited by edweird13

Quick visit to the thrift yielded a Commodore 1702 monitor (my favorite monitor!) for $6, one of those Fisher Price movie viewer things )though this has a built in screen and can project on the wall) for $4, and an awesome silver boombox with a crazy huge dial tuner for the radio. It seriously looks like someone took the FM dial off of a home stereo and put it on this thing. $4 for that. Not much in the way of gaming, but plenty for my retro lifestyle!

Hmmm, I might have to con that C= 1702 out of you... :)

Boxed Odyssey^2 system with hard wired controller, old switch box (RCA version, not the propriety Magnavox plug version), power supply (cord was cut), 7 CIB games: Take the money and run!, K.C.'s Krazy Chase!, Armored Encounter!/Sub Chase, Alien Invasers - Plus!, Speedway!/Spin-out!/Crypto-logic! (2 of them), and a big box of Conquest of the World. The Conquest of the World looks like it was opened and played once then left alone. The numbers token (100, 500, and 1000) have never been removed so I have 9 sheets total of like mint number tags. Some magnets are also intact, 2 sheet of red and 1 green.

All these for only $9.99 from Goodwill. They had another boxed O^2 system but the box was in worse shape, console only no psu or anything else, and no games. Left it behind.

With these I think I'm now short only 2 or 3 CIB O^2 games for a complete USA collection. I know I don't have Powerlords yet and it's one of the rarest O^2 game.

found today at a few goodwills 50% off sale:

tiny toon adventures for nes(cart only)$0.50

golden axe for genesis(game and box)$0.50

sonic spinball for genesis(game and box)$0.50

donkey kong country for snes(cart only)$0.50

wild arms for psx(complete)$1.50

2 on 2 open ice challenge for psx(complete)$1.50

tomb raider II for psx(complete)$1.50

coolboarders 3 for psx(complete)$1.50

the sims for pc(complete)$1

radica tetris handheld game:$0.50

hello kitty roller rescue for gamecube(complete)$2.50

bag o' various controllers/rf switches,etc

2 playstation brand psx memory cards

3 nes controller pads

2 nes/snes rf switches

atari 7800 ac adapter

atari 5200 rf switch

psp 32mb memory stick

all for $3.00

then went to k-mart and got:

final fantasy v advanced for gba(brand new)$4.98

collage hoops 2k7 for xbox 360(brand new)$4.98

virtua tennis for xbox360(new)$4.98

3 nes controller pads

2 nes/snes rf switches

atari 7800 ac adapter

atari 5200 rf switch

psp 32mb memory stick

all for $3.00

Mark you always find the best stuff at a great price. I wish I was in your area. It is very hard to find good stuff in this area. There are so may resellers. This years best find for me so far has been the 4 port 5200 and games that I found. It has taken me a few years to find anything that good. We go thrifting every week. The Goodwill here never has anything good. They had a Dreamcast keyboard for 15 bucks. I waited 2 weeks for them to reduce the price. My wife goes there daily and they never have gaming stuff.

3 nes controller pads

2 nes/snes rf switches

atari 7800 ac adapter

atari 5200 rf switch

psp 32mb memory stick

all for $3.00

Mark you always find the best stuff at a great price. I wish I was in your area. It is very hard to find good stuff in this area. There are so may resellers. This years best find for me so far has been the 4 port 5200 and games that I found. It has taken me a few years to find anything that good. We go thrifting every week. The Goodwill here never has anything good. They had a Dreamcast keyboard for 15 bucks. I waited 2 weeks for them to reduce the price. My wife goes there daily and they never have gaming stuff.

thanks.yeah,i do pretty good at the thrifts in my area.there is dry spells thought,but if i go at least 3 days a week im usually bound to find something.

I found CODEBREAKER yesterday at this thrift shop.Underneath the title,there's a thin black strip label type of thing running along the entire title,and looks factory done.I dont want to ruin label by peeling it,to see whats underneath,anyone else have this thing on theirs?

Edited by Rik

I found CODEBREAKER yesterday at this thrift shop.Underneath the title,there's a thin black strip label type of thing running along the entire title,and looks factory done.I dont want to ruin label by peeling it,to see whats underneath,anyone else have this thing on theirs?

It probably has two labels, I have a Lock 'n' Chase like this.