IGNORED

Flashback 3 at E3? Is it real?

To be honest I think at this point the next "flashback" from Legacy needs to be the portable... Regardless if it has the official "Atari" blessing or not.

until then, I'm going to wait on some more CX40 retrofit boards to be released over at the LE store :)

i'd like to see a portable with Sd support and av out.

and a free pony. ;)

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I won't be buying any retro Atari hardware that wasn't developed by Legacy. They're the real deal, IMO. I can live without the Atari branding if it comes to that.

Could you license out the "Toby" core to someone else in the meantime to generate some revenue?

Not on the 2005 "Michele" chip, but I did a new design in 2007, its the "Toby" core, has SD Card support and LCD support, it was designed for the Flashback portable, but given recent developments, I am considering an non-Atari branded product release this fall, gotta finish up other obligations first and we'll see...

Are Legacy allowed to produce their own products based on the Atari on a chip just without the Atari Branding? Thinking out loud taking the Atari on a chip you have half a 7800 what about combining this with the recent 7800 expansion + new 7800 core for an all in one system?

Barnie

Could you license out the "Toby" core to someone else in the meantime to generate some revenue?

Not on the 2005 "Michele" chip, but I did a new design in 2007, its the "Toby" core, has SD Card support and LCD support, it was designed for the Flashback portable, but given recent developments, I am considering an non-Atari branded product release this fall, gotta finish up other obligations first and we'll see...

Michelle handles A12 incorrectly (it's always high), which is the source of nearly all of the incompatibilities with existing games. Does Toby correct this problem?

Hi there,

The 21 games on the European website that aren't on digthatbox.com (I believe all these games are on the FB2 except the ones in red):

Atari Climber

Interesting :ponder:

Let them produce them with your game on it and right before it hits the store tell them you will take them to court if they try to sell it with your game on it.

Allan

Hi there,

I find it interesting that both Atari Climber and Yar's Return are on this as I don't believe they have the PAL code for those. Also, I don't think any of the homebrews/hacks were converted to PAL. So they would all be PAL60 with wrong colors unless they hacked the color palette.

This needs to be on the front page, pointed questions about licensing of games, case design, use of chips often used in knock-off clones and pirates included.

I also agree that Curt deserves the freedom to create his own products and am willing to support his endeavors, including donations towards any legal costs.

• Like 1

This needs to be on the front page, pointed questions about licensing of games, case design, use of chips often used in knock-off clones and pirates included.

I also agree that Curt deserves the freedom to create his own products and am willing to support his endeavors, including donations towards any legal costs.

Legal costs? Did you read Curt's responses?

http://digthatbox.com/2011.06.12_arch.html#1308079740773

More impressions. They don't sound too good. It really makes me wish the guys at legacy had made this thing.

Something stinks about all of this. I gotta question the integrity of the licensing/marketing/whatever guys that approved this. It smells like they were either bamboozled (great word) or they intentionally sought out pirate hardware that was derived from and/or inspired by Legacy's leg work (pardon the pun) to cut costs. Passing it off as a Legacy product by reusing the FB2 design (and the Flashback name itself) is especially dirty, in my opinion.

Looking forward to more info that can shed some light on this...

Edited by Emehr

Since he's back at Atari, does Nolan Bushnell know about this? I wonder what his opinion on this would be...

He's not back at Atari. 1) This is a completely different company. 2) He was simply on the board of the parent company Infogrames (now Atari SA) and even then only for BlueBay as a representative for their seat. He has since been removed from that position since BlueBay changed it's stake position in the company and he's now simply an "advisor" to the board. He put his stamp of approval on Star Raiders and several other of the non-well received "reboots", so that should tell you what he probably thinks of this as well. ;)

Edited by wgungfu

Since he's back at Atari, does Nolan Bushnell know about this? I wonder what his opinion on this would be...

He's not back at Atari. 1) This is a completely different company. 2) He was simply on the board of the parent company Infogrames (now Atari SA) and even then only for BlueBay as a representative for their seat. He has since been removed from that position since BlueBay changed it's stake position in the company and he's now simply an "advisor" to the board. He put his stamp of approval on Star Raiders and several other of the non-well received "reboots", so that should tell you what he probably thinks of this as well. ;)

Does anyone know how to wipe Sharpie off of an Atari 2600?

The fact that several UK retailers will be selling it for £9.99 ($16) doesn't fill me with confidence.

Really? That's a price I can get into.

/edit Also asked on Atari's Facebook page, haven't heard of a response yet. http://www.facebook.com/atari and ctrl-F to find my name and post. No replies.

Edited by nathanallan

This product should be boycotted.

They "Atari" have failed to listen!.

It needs either a cartridge slot or SD. Without at least one of these it is a fail!.

Yes I have heard the arguments for not having a cartridge slot.

Bla Bla Bla Bla Bla .... we would get phone calls asking for support for 30 year old games ... Bla Bla Bla

This is a stupid argument that stinks to high heaven.

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

• Like 1